Snow Chain Help

Solarplex

Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
Hello All
Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for affordable yet well built tire chains - the sole purpose of these chains will be driving in the snow on back roads that aren't plowed very well if at all. All help is appreciated especially links.

Cheers

Reactions: BlazingTrails

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
This is one topic in all the years I have not really seen addressed. I have no practical experience with chains, but do wonder about your AWD setup and using them on one diff and not both or if both is required. Hopefully someone has some knowledge to drop on this topic.

Solarplex

Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
All 4 tires 100% was just hoping somebody here has insight on a solid less expensive brand

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
Solarplex said:
Hello All
Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for affordable yet well built tire chains - the sole purpose of these chains will be driving in the snow on back roads that aren't plowed very well if at all. All help is appreciated especially links.

Cheers
Tirechains.com

I got mine in less than a week. Many options.

What/where will you need them? Are the roads impassable without them? All good winter tire will help. Chains help with ice and grip more than depth, however the right chain will help you do both. I bought cheapest one's so the CHP wouldn't ticket me. Never "had" to use them.

Edit: Only put chains on the rear tires. Check the owner's manual(s).

Reactions: Mounce

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
the 2004 trailblazer owners manual includes this:

Don’t use tire chains. There’s not enough
clearance. Tire chains used on a vehicle without
the proper amount of clearance can cause
damage to the brakes, suspension or other
vehicle parts. The area damaged by the tire
chains could cause you to lose control of your
vehicle and you or others may be injured in a
crash. Use another type of traction device only
if its manufacturer recommends it for use on
your vehicle and tire size combination and road
conditions. Follow that manufacturer’s
instructions. To help avoid damage to your
vehicle, drive slowly, readjust or remove the
device if it’s contacting your vehicle, and don’t
spin your wheels. If you do find traction devices
that will fit, install them on the rear tires

Einst-Hawk

Jan 31, 2014
Ditto for my manual as well

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
There are states that require any vehicle on the "chain law in effect" road to carry tire chains. The concern is that an improper chain will not fit, allow for room when tire is moving, and that it will rip off your fender or worse is why people pay ~$20 give or take for the 2 minutes it takes to put them on.

Fact is many have chains, some have used them, and GM doesn't want the liability associated with it. If you need chains, you know who you are. If you are telling someone not to carry them, know where they drive first.

I drove almost daily in "4wd ok, 2wd chains" and a bad set of tires and 4x4 won't get you anywhere In that town. They usually shut the road down before they make it "4wd with chains only". Mammoth Lakes, CA.

Purefection

Oct 23, 2014
As far as I'm reading, the chain law applies to 3+ axle trucks. Less than 3 Axles you can use studded tires, which Imo is a must for winter, Atleast where I'm at.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
This website is great. Colorado also has a nice one with live cameras for road conditions that have proven useful to me.

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/chcontrl.htm
TYPES OF CHAIN CONTROLS:

During the winter months, motorists may encounter traction chain controls in the mountain areas within California. When chain controls are established, signs will be posted along the road indicating the type of requirement. There are three requirements in California.

Requirement One (R1): Chains, traction devices or snow tires are required on the drive axle of all vehicles except four wheel/ all wheel drive vehicles.

Requirement Two (R2): Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles except four wheel/ all wheel drive vehicles with snow-tread tires on all four wheels.
(NOTE: Four wheel/all wheel drive vehicles must carry traction devices in chain control areas.)

Requirement Three (R3): Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles, no exceptions.

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
you can read between the lines in the owners manual and choose to use some traction devices specified for your vehicle, on the rear.

real snows should help a lot. I think the issue is that there is a lot of stuff you want to work, that could break by chains flying around.

looks like there are several choices of compact chains or cable chains which could work.

I picked up a set of these for my front wheel drive Jetta. The Jetta owners manual says keep chains under 15 mm.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000UNPVKQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

as mentioned before, amazon has several choices.

of course, if you want to mod the truck to lift it, armor the brake lines, etc, you could just use the cheap ones and take life as it comes.

Solarplex

Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
Thanks for the input guys, My car has sport tires on it not studded tires & on top of the sport tires they are rather old & I can't afford a winter set. that's why im resorting to some chains.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Purefection said:
Studded tire = traction device. Problem solved
It is important to keep in mind state and local laws. In many places, studded tires are either forbidden or only allowed in some extreme conditions - and changing between studded and non-studded will certainly be a pain. Driving studs on cleared pavement can damage the pavement, for one.

Tire chains also have some laws surrounding them which vary by jurisdiction - it's important to read up. Reach out to the local police department on the rules regarding them, they can put it in "practical" context rather than "legalese," and you'll get an idea on what they're more likely to enforce if it's a gray area. They're also easy to remove and install, unlike switching tires.

You can do it to any driven axle, but chains should not be installed on non-driven axles as they can become damaged. So, rear is an obvious choice, with front being optional, though with the way the AWD system works it may be questionable whether the axle should be considered "live enough."

Only one more question... which class chain would the 360 handle? S, U, or W? Probably not W as the manual claims there's clearance issues. Then again, this thing may have been included in the manual to keep people from screwing up their vehicles with faulty use of chains, or as a method to escape warranty claims if snow chains were used (though the tiny 36k warranty didn't go too far anyway).

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
worn sport tires in winter. you will be lucky to get to where you can use chains at all.

try checking out craigs list for a used set of snows.

might be more cost-effective.

Reactions: coolasice

SnowBlazer

Jun 9, 2014
Colorado Springs
Playsinsnow said:
Colorado also has a nice one with live cameras for road conditions that have proven useful to me.
CDOT is pretty good here in CO about clearing the roads...I haven't yet seen a day going up I-70 where it was an R3...nock on wood. :yes:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.