Snapping sound (similar to short)

coolasice

Original poster
Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
Ok. New problem that just cropped up this morning... started the truck and kept hearing constant snapping sounds from under the hood on passenger side. Could not find any noticeable cause or pinpoint the location. The sounds were completely random, but increased in frequency if you revved the engine a bit. The sound was the same as a electrical short. Looked tonight while it was dark but couldn't find anything and it didn't make many noises. It sounds like it goes on and off with the ac system. Anyone notice similar issue? I wonder if I damaged a wire earlier this year when I did the differential cases.

Maverick6587

Dec 16, 2018
Sterling Heights, Michigan
I would remove the serpentine belt. That way you know if it's a belt-driven problem or not. That'll make it easier for you to isolate the problem's location. Some audio or video for us to listen to would help out a lot.

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
I've heard something similar but it's from the condensation drain line, that water falls off onto the exhaust manifold and make a nice "TWISS" sound that can seem like an electrical short.

coolasice

Original poster
Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
I would remove the serpentine belt. That way you know if it's a belt-driven problem or not. That'll make it easier for you to isolate the problem's location. Some audio or video for us to listen to would help out a lot.
I know it's not belt related as the sound is completely random. I couldn't get a sound as it was hardly doing it last night. I will try again tonight when it gets dark as the truck has been sitting since last night.
I've heard something similar but it's from the condensation drain line, that water falls off onto the exhaust manifold and make a nice "TWISS" sound that can seem like an electrical short.
I know that sound as my drain needs to be adjusted... It always splashes on the pipe. This sound is more of a snap sound.

Last edited:

coolasice

Original poster
Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
Sounds like one of your hvac actuators.
nope... I think i have narrowed it down to the ac low pressure switch, or something to do with the ac system. it works in time with the ac compressor off cycle. When it first started it was going on like crazy, now it is barely audible and not nearly as often.

side note... looks like my power steering pump or one of the lines is leaking...

coolasice

Original poster
Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
Holy hell... I'd like to punch the engineer that designed that shit. What a complete bitch to replace. My arms are raw and I'm tired from all the cursing.... Those stupid line clips tho .. I wanted to get my sledge and start smashing shit. ... Stupid manual says to remove the cat... Can't even get to the cat/manafold bolts.... A whole day just to get those lines on, but finally done.

• Wow
Reactions: Maverick6587

coolasice

Original poster
Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
I might have to go back in to replace one of the clips on the tranny connections.... it was a bit loose but not leaking... don't trust it much tho... Ill need another set of ramps first.... 4 ramps would make a world of difference, i could use my impact on most of the bolts then.

Maverick6587

Dec 16, 2018
The clips where the two lines connect near the power steering pump or the clips that hold the lines into the transmission?

Maverick6587

Dec 16, 2018
What did you use to get the clip off? I couldn't get my hands up there or see if I was close to the clips. I ended cutting transmission the lines near the engine oil pan because of that. If I had to do it again... I'd lower the transmission for sure.

coolasice

Original poster
Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
What did you use to get the clip off? I couldn't get my hands up there or see if I was close to the clips. I ended cutting transmission the lines near the engine oil pan because of that. If I had to do it again... I'd lower the transmission for sure.
it wasn't getting them off that was hard, it was getting it back on... i have big hands and it is a very tiny tight space.. i had also lowered the trans....

Reactions: Maverick6587

coolasice

Original poster
Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
Woohoo, finally got it. finished for now. I don't want to have to do that again.... but if I do... 4 ramps makes a world of difference. the extra 6 inches are a must. I could see exactly where my hand was that way.... all I needed to do was lower the trans crossbrace and pull it to the drivers side with a ratchet strap... redid the connections to be extra sure they were installed correctly. 2 hrs... man I wish I had those extra ramps the first time. Just waiting to rinse the truck and check fluid level now.... (degreaser is working).

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online