Snap On modis eems300 vs tech2 (first impressions)

MAY03LT

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
1.jpg

The other day I spent some time with my new to me modis and went through my trailblazer to see what the modis can do compared to the tech2. So let's begin!

1) Modules - Right out the gate I noticed no onstar or radio selections. Normally with audio problems I get codes from the radio first. Also worth noting is I couldn't find any class 2 data for module pinging or status. Not a deal breaker but the tech2 wins this one.
2.jpg

2) Engine data/special functions - Two important functions are included - case learn and injector balance test. I haven't done an injector balance test using the modis so I can't just give the modis the win but I will call it a tie. For now.
2a.jpg

2A) Misfire history - A frequently used function for cars that come in with "ran like crap the other day" complaints and p0300. This is a tie.
2b.jpg

2B) Cruise data - Good news is you can test the switch inputs (I'm holding "set" in this pic) bad news is no cutoff data. Cutoff data is critical for diagnostics especially for intermittent faults. Tech2 wins. Fatality.
2c.jpg

2C) Passlock data - The juicy bits are here for most passlock diagnostics. Tie.
3.jpg

3A) ABS bleed - I've used this hundreds of times most commonly on gmt800s that blow out brake lines. Tie.
4.jpg

Sidenote - it also shows the wss's at 3mph when stopped LOL.
5.jpg

3B) Wheel speed sensor data plot - a must have for watching speed sensors dropping out during unwanted abs operation. Tie.
7.jpg

4) C/B/U codes - The modis can get them too. Tie.
8.jpg

5) How do I fix car? I thought I knew my way around this generation modis but during our recent quality time I found this gem. Vehicle specific test procedures. Let's say I had a crank sensor code and wanted to scope the crank sensor. This tells me what it does, where it is, and the wire colors. Pretty slick.

The verdict - The modis holds its own for the most common uses that I use the tech2 for. I wouldn't call it a replacement because it is missing some things that do come in the shop. I think with the test procedures and its lab scope it will be a great companion with the tech2.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Back in Post # 2,196 of the “What Came in YOUR Mail Today?” Thread… I mentioned getting a “Snap-On MODIS Collectible Ball Cap…” and wondered "What would it be like to actually get one?" After Lurking all over eBay… I made a “Low Ball” (Pun Intended) Pitch of $425.00 vs. the eBay Vendor’s $500+ Listing 'ask'...and he accepted my Offer.

SNAPONMODISBALLCAP7.jpgSNAPONMODISBALLCAP10.jpg

These are the Un-Boxing Images ...with a few more images of the Snap-On Specific In-Cylinder 500 PSI Compression Test Pressure Transducer... and its 30 PSI Companion, along with the Special Snap-On Harness that fits it up to the AUX Click-On Pin Connector on the Black Oscilloscope Module on top of “The MODIS”.

Oh...and contrary to the last comment made back in 2016 that “The MODIS is Only a Scanner…” … Here is the Truth about this “Thing”:

(1) It IS a Scanner… (Scan Tool).
(2) It IS ALSO a Digital 'Graphing' Multi-Meter as Full-Featured as the Vantage MT-2400.
(3) It IS ALSO a Four Channel, High Definition Oscilloscope (LAB SCOPE).
(4) It DOES Directed Component Testing with Hints, Pin Out Images & Hook Up Locations.
(5) This Package...when BRAND NEW back in 2011… SOLD for $8,880.00 ... Right off the back of a Snap-On Truck:

SNAPONMODISKIT1.jpgSNAPONMODISKIT3.jpgSNAPONMODISKIT4.jpgSNAPONMODISKIT5.jpgSNAPONMODISKIT6.jpgSNAPONMODISKIT7.jpgSNAPONMODISKIT8.jpgSNAPONMODISKIT9.jpgSNAPONMODISKIT10.jpgSNAPONMODISKIT11.jpgSNAPONMODISKIT12.jpgSNAPONMODISKIT14.jpgSNAPONMODISKIT15.jpgSNAPONMODISKIT16.jpgSNAPONMODISKIT17.jpgSNAPONMODISKIT18.jpg

...and because of it having a "Low Light Color LCD Screen" that is very much in need of replacement, I opted presently to get an Inexpensive External VGA 7” Video Screen…

But... Watch THIS Video FIRST to see more Advantages for doing this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XQJVXHL/?tag=gmtnation-20

And NOW... I Get to Wear That Snap-On MODIS HAT... Completely Guilt Free... :>)

Attachments

• SNAPONMODISKIT2.jpg
    SNAPONMODISKIT2.jpg
    629 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
It’s WEIRD to find PRECISELY The Right Solution to what can be the ONLY Real Impediment to getting an Aging Snap-On MODIS Scan Tool Kit: A Dim or Poorly Viewable Screen. However… in THIS Case… The VOP (Video Original Poster) featured below not only took advantage of adding “ON” a 10.1” TFT Color LCD Screen as per his Two Demo Videos… but he also used the Top MODIS USB Port to add in a Quad USB Splitter and included using a Keyboard, Mouse Feature PLUS a 1 GB USB Thumb Drive to transfer and store his Disk Data. And with these news features, they obviate the need to use the “Press Buttons” on the Right OEM Side Panel to actuate his MODIS with ease:

WOW! Talk about a HARDWARE UPDATE! So… following on with his Video Suggestions and Hands On Proof of THIS Concept… I visited eBay and located the very same 10” TFT LCD Screen On Sale for right around $71.00:

SNAPONMODISIZESCREEN.jpg

More to Follow...

Here is yet another Dude who reasoned out TWO Solutions:

(1) For a Replacement TFT Color LCD Screen and ...
(2) An External, Re-Chargeable Li-ION Battery Pack.

So Naturally... He has managed to Revitalize an Old MODIS for NEW Purposes:

Ask Yourself THIS Question...

"Why ... In The Name Of God's Holy Trousers... Would ANYONE go to SO MUCH TROUBLE to resurrect (or improve upon) such an "Aging Scanner"...?

The ANSWER is Simple:

Because THIS Kind Of Tool NEVER GOES OUT OF DIAGNOSTIC FASHION because IT delves into the Universal, Immutable Laws of PHYSICS. In Particular... those dealing with Electro-Magnetic Forces and the Modular Devices using IT that will ALWAYS require understanding The Subtleties of VOLTAGE over TIME.

Last edited:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
While I'm waiting for the 10.1" TFT VGA External Screen to arrive... I thought I'd use the smaller 7" version to sort out any Questions concerning whether this Idea of "Resurrecting a Snap-On MODIS LCD Screen..EXTERNALLY..." was even possible. THIS "Lil' TV" worked Right Out of The Box... The Snap-On MODIS makes an instant recognition and ports the Screen Image out to the VGA Monitor Screen with NO SET UP OR ADJUSTMENTS NEEDED.

Check out THESE Images below in Part One of a Two Part Series which clearly display the UNBELIEVABLE Features working flawlessly along, ostensibly described as a Device as being "Merely a Scanner that can Only Read Codes" ...But actually possessing UNIVERSAL DIAGNOSTIC ABILITIES THAT WILL ALWAYS BE USEFUL ... NO MATTER WHAT THE YEAR, MAKE OR MODEL OF VEHICLE COMING UNDER ITS POWERFUL GAZE.

THIS is the Kind of Scan Tool Kit you should be trying to find over on eBay ...and GRAB One if has the OEM Factory Software Updates as recent as possible for LATE MODEL VEHICLES and if the associated Kit Components are present inside of the OEM Snap-On Case ...and ALL for the asking price of around $500.00:

Part One:

Setting Up the Snap-On MODIS Scan Tool Hidden Port to allow for installing a *tiny* External VGA Monitor-Screen:

SNAPONMODISVGA1.jpgSNAPONMODISVGA2.jpgSNAPONMODISVGA3.jpgSNAPONMODISVGA4.jpgSNAPONMODISVGA5.jpgSNAPONMODISVGA6.jpgSNAPONMODISVGA7.jpgSNAPONMODISVGA8.jpgSNAPONMODISVGA9.jpgSNAPONMODISVGA10.jpgSNAPONMODISVGA11.jpgSNAPONMODISVGA12.jpgSNAPONMODISVGA14.jpgSNAPONMODISVGA15.jpgSNAPONMODISVGA16.jpgSNAPONMODISVGA17.jpgSNAPONMODISVGA18.jpgSNAPONMODISVGA19.jpgSNAPONMODISVGA20.jpgSNAPONMODISVGA21.jpg

Part Two will Cover... The "MUST HAVE" Nickel-Metal-Hydride Batteries and Charging Unit...

Last edited:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Part Two of Two Parts...

Okay...So You've GOT Yourself a Decent Snap-On MODIS Kit and you realize that the Old Nickel Metal Hydride Battery MIGHT Be DOA... So... What To DO? When Snap-On transitioned from the MODIS Platform over to the VERUS... they also moved on to using Li-ION Batteries in a completely different design, shape and size and so that leaves you with having to use (...or GET Used) a 14-16 VOLT Charging Station and find a decent Replacement Battery. Otherwise, you will need to strictly rely upon having to PLUG-IN the Scan Tool to an AC Wall Socket in all instances.

I suppose THAT would be Okay... But since I NEVER DO ANYTHING BY HALVES, I investigated eBay once again in search of some possible Replacement Power Gear. I ran into this one 'Yo-Yo' who insisted that he had a "BRAND NEW MODIS Battery" and wanted $100.00 for it (With No Charging Station included) and so I basically just *shined him on*...

Afterwards, I waited a few days to see if his Pricing *ASK* would come down after I had showed some interest and then backed off. But Nope. NO SOAP... So I KEPT ON LOOKING and about a week later... I saw this ONE Listing for TWO BATTERIES @ $45.00 per item. Did I JUMP on getting ONE? NOPE... I JUMPED on getting them BOTH... with the idea that if I eventually have to do any sort of Battery Pack Re-Building... I can Pick & Choose from among the remaining LIVE Cells within All Three Battery Packs to make just One Good One if necessary. You know... Just trying to Think-A-Little-Ahead.

Next Up... Of course I wanted to get a Snap-On MODIS OEM Charging Station and Kill Two Birds with One Stone:

(A) I'd be able to Cycle Charge the Two Extra Battery Packs one after the other while Charging a Third inside of the MODIS Scan Tool.

(B) The Snap-On OEM Charging Station requires a 14-16 Volts DC @ 36 Watts Power Supply feeding into it ...and it has the Cool Features of letting you know whenever a Battery Pack is either NOT Taking a Charge...or is Over-Heating when Charging. I managed to find one for $80.00 ...but considering everything this device is meant to do and the scarcity of finding MODIS Related Support Gear... I *Pulled The Pin*...and once I plugged it in and started using it ... IT Works GREAT.

After the Charging Station arrived and I had the chance to check out BOTH of the $45.00 Batteries...I discovered to my very great pleasure that they BOTH were FULLY CHARGED! Then after I placed the In-Dwelling Battery Pack from inside the MODIS on Charge... IT immediately displayed a proper "RED" Light indicating that IT was also a Working Battery, TOO! So I could NOT be happier with this situation is I was TWINS! Here are some Images of all this Battery Support Gear:

SNAPONMODISBATTERY1.jpgSNAPONMODISBATTERY2.jpgSNAPONMODISBATTERY3.jpgSNAPONMODISBATTERY4.jpgSNAPONMODISBATTERY5.jpgSNAPONMODISBATTERY6.jpgSNAPONMODISBATTERY7.jpgSNAPONMODISBATTERY8.jpgSNAPONMODISBATTERY9.jpg

So... The Moral of The Story is... Don't Overlook the Need to "Sort Out The Power Issues" whenever looking for a Low Buck Snap-On MODIS Scan Tool Kit... :>)

"Doing Your Due Diligence... ALWAYS... Pays Off..." mrrsm

Last edited:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
One Last Thing... If you are going to be Running TWO THINGS that require Decent AC Wall Power conversion to DC such as for the Snap-On Modis AND using an External VGA Monitor (if you cannot locate a Working Battery, etc.) THIS Power Supply offer more Voltage Variability AND Higher Wattage Levels that can also handle the Snap-On Battery Charging Station as well ...for Only $15.00 on Amazon:

BETTERPOWERSUPPLY.jpg51pysyXyiTS._AC_.jpg61UebTaqgHL._AC_SL1001_.jpg61R44oQYyVL._AC_SL1001_.jpg61IlBJCp6pL._AC_SL1001_.jpg61ik4BmDohL._AC_SL1000_.jpg51Aei-UgbHL._AC_SL1000_.jpg61Np1FSG3YL._AC_SL1001_.jpg71sySRzMZpL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
THIS is an Offer being made over on eBay for only $250.00 on a Used (...theoretically *INOP* at the moment) Snap-On Modis Scan Tool with Support Gear... But might well and truly appeal to anyone who is enterprising enough to investigate its possibilities for repairs mentioned in prior posted information above ...AND.. because it is available for almost half the price of the usual offers for this Gear:

s-l1600.jpgs-l1600AA.jpgs-l1600BB.jpgs-l1600DD.jpgs-l1600EE.jpgs-l1600FF.jpg

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
THIS...is a MUCH Better "BUY IT NOW" Offer for a more complete (and Operational Kit)" for only "A Dollar A Day" Price of $365.00:

s-l1600.jpgs-l1600AA.jpgs-l1600BB.jpgs-l1600CC.jpgs-l1600DD.jpgs-l1600EE.jpgs-l1600GG.jpgs-l1600HH.jpgs-l1600IIHH.jpgs-l1600OO.jpgs-l1600PP.jpgs-l1600RRR.jpgs-l1600TT.jpgs-l1600TTT.jpgs-l1600YY.jpg

Last edited:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Ordinarily... Only Auto Repair Shop Owners and Professional Mechanics get anywhere NEAR to working around and with the Higher End Snap-On Scan Tool Kits... and THAT also implies having to invest in the extended support gear that is part and parcel to using the Modis, Modis Ultra, Verus and the rest of this equipment.

THAT entails using what Snap-On originally coined as "Personality Keys" (SEE THE SNAP-ON MODIS-ACCESSORY-KEY LIST ITINERARY PDF LINKED BELOW INCLUDES FOR MY ORIGINAL SYSTEM VERSION OF 12.4) to distinguish between what each and every Year-Make-Model of Vehicle and Truck being scanned requires in order to *Emulate The Factory Scan Tools* and thus... a Standard OBD2 VCI Connector and Cable may NOT work when using the Snap-On MODIS Scanner in certain circumstances.

Well... If you peruse the attached images below... you'll see all of this "Snap-On Regalia" in all their Glory and know that to this very day... if you are seeking any Particular "Personality Key" for your Particular Vehicle... be prepared to pay anywhere from $25.00 to $150.00 PER KEY.

That is... Unless you Scour the Back Alleys and Hallways of eBay looking for fairly complete *Sets of P-keys* and anything else the Vendor decides to throw in as a Bargain. Such is the case below...and to a VERY Remarkable extent because the eBay Seller involved here, (for reasons I can only guess at...) quite generously included ...not One...but TWO Snap-On Color Optical Probe Kits... sans the Blow-Molded Cases mind you... for FREE.

I mean, I was like ..."Dude ...WTF Man...?" What the Hell was THAT all about ?...Right? Oh... I soon figured it out...They were BOTH NOT WORKING... At least... HE apparently could not get them to work. But Oh Well... One Man's Pains are another man's Pleasures...Right? :>)

And I should NOT ever Look THIS Gift Horse in the Mouth because in addition to the American AND Foreign Personality Key Sets, he included ALL of the Snap-On OEM MODIS Software and many Duplicates of the Main OBD2 Cabling and Connectors. Take note of the differences between the Personality Key Insert Slots on the two identical Gray NAO OBD2 Adapters vs the Slotted version of the two Black Foreign OBD2 Adapters-Cables.

Now obviously...at this very late stage of still *Bending Wrenches and Busting Knuckles* at my age...it is highly unlikely that I'll dip into these Sets of Keys to use MOST of them...but for my making this Dude an Offer of Only $70.00.... his acceptance and the ultimate arrival of ALL of this otherwise expensive support gear means that all of those *Goodies* will find it quite comfortable inside of the Huge Snap-On MODIS Carry Case...JIK I might need at least a few of them from time to time. :>)

I'll post the rest of the Story and the Images about the Snap-On Color Optical Probe Kits over in "TOOL TALK"... because THAT turned out to be a very interesting experience too. I mean ...Isn't it a fact that as soon as soon as we hear those Magic Words, "I Don't Know WHAT'S Wrong with IT... IT Must be BROKEN..." Doesn't THAT situation always pique our curiosity...?

SNAPONMODISBATTERYHARNESS1.jpgSNAPONMODISBATTERYHARNESS2.jpgSNAPONMODISKEYSNSOFTWARE1.jpgSNAPONMODISKEYSNSOFTWARE2.jpgSNAPONMODISKEYSNSOFTWARE3.jpgSNAPONMODISKEYSNSOFTWARE4.jpgSNAPONMODISKEYSNSOFTWARE5.jpgSNAPONMODISKEYSNSOFTWARE6.jpgSNAPONMODISKEYSNSOFTWARE7.jpgSNAPONMODISKEYSNSOFTWARE8.jpgSNAPONMODISKEYSNSOFTWARE10.jpgSNAPONMODISKEYSNSOFTWARE12.jpgSNAPONMODISKEYSNSOFTWARE14.jpgSNAPONMODISKEYSNSOFTWARE15.jpgSNAPONMODISKEYSNSOFTWARE16.jpgSNAPONMODISKEYSNSOFTWARE17.jpgSNAPONINSPECTIONCAM1.jpg

Attachments

• MODIS_Acc_Keys_Adapters.pdf
    83.2 KB · Views: 0
  • MODISScannerPluginUserManual.pdf
    1,008.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
The rest of the Snap-On NAO *Personality Keys* and a 3rd Key-Way OBD2 Adapter came in:

SNAPONPEEKEY1.jpgSNAPONPEEKEY2.jpgSNAPONPEEKEY3.jpgSNAPONPEEKEY4.jpgSNAPONPEEKEY5.jpgSNAPONPEEKEY6.jpgSNAPONPEEKEY7.jpgSNAPONPEEKEY8.jpgSNAPONPEEKEY9.jpg

"Better to Have Them... and NOT Need Them ... Than to NEED Them... and Not Have Them..."

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
From Time to Time... Eric "O" utters his Famous Saying:

"Hey... Don't Get SLID..."

And if You've been following along with any of the Threads I've done about getting arguably "Out-Dated Scanners" and other Used Higher End Diagnostic Gear with a Jaundiced Eye, thinking,

"Bobby... Dude... WHY the HELL Should I Waste My Time and Money with getting Used Scan Tools that will NOT service Vehicles beyond say 2012 to 2015 at the very latest... When I can get a MUCH more Modern Scan Tool for Just a Little More Money than YOU'VE been spending ... and enjoy the Higher End Scan Tool with a MUCH BIGGER TOUCH SCREEN?"

Yada....Yada...Yada. X>(

Well... Honestly, a Good Part of ALL the Due Diligence I have been putting into finding and investing my Hard Earned Money into all of this Higher End Gear is the absolute need for me GETTING UNDER THE SKIN OF ALL THE FACTORY LIMITATIONS AND RESTRICTIONS FIRST Just so I "Don't Get SLID!" . Case In Point... WATCH THIS VIDEO... and ALL will be thoroughly explained:

Lastly... If you are going to purchase THIS Legacy type of Snap-On MODIS Tool Kit... You MUST be serious about the facts that these are NOT TOYS and they all have a Pretty STEEP Learning Curve for using them. This Stuff is Serious Diagnostic Gear meant to be used almost daily by Serious, Capable Professional Mechanics ... OR... If you are Like ME... FOREVER A PERMANENT STUDENT OF ALL KINDS OF AUTOMOTIVE DIAGNOSTICS AND REPAIRS... You will NOT STOP Trying Until You Finally Get to Own Some of Them!

And so it also follows on that with the reality of my Advanced Age... I have absolutely NO intention or any interest whatsoever of purchasing any of the "The Latest, Greatest, Newest (...often... Screwiest)" Motor Vehicles around ...EVER again. Especially if the Professional Diagnostic Scan Tools I want to Own would cost me between $5,000 to $15,000 AND require that I get *permission* from the OEM Sellers like MACK and Snap-On to USE them.

So THAT means that all of my Used Diagnostic Gear found on eBay MUST NOT COST ME AN ARM AND A LEG and yet still be able to manage to keep ALL of my Diagnostic & Repair ASPIRATIONS well within the Realm of my Diagnostic & Repair OPERATIONS. Besides that... My Snap-On MODIS Scan Tool ALSO has a Working (4) Channel Oscilloscope AND a Digital Graphing Multi-Meter that can also do Directed Component Diagnostic Testing from 1991 to 2012 from now until Doomsday or for as long as Grass is Green...and Skies are Blue ...because the RULES for Electricity Will NEVER Change. :>)

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.