Snailblaze One for the Nation

Snailblazin'

Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
They're made by a company called Black Widow Gear based in the Ottawa, Ontario region. But I'm not beholden to that company, I just stumbled onto their ad on Kijiji Calgary, with the appropriate brackets (which anybody can build or have built) a fella can get himself any JK bumper from any company he so chooses. I just love the options and price from these guys.

Snailblazin'

Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
Apparently I'm also on Elmer's Wood Glue because I previously stated my loathing for the GM 89 springs I supposedly purchased...when in fact I have the 88s. I can not believe there's a spring harsher than the 88s. In what stock vehicle did the 89s come factory? Jesus H. Christ.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
They did not come in any stock that we could discover.

Snailblazin'

Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
What happened to the Liftmeister body lift? I'm reneging on my previous statement about not doing it but...I'm nothing if not fickle as fuck! Seems like a good idea and all the cool kids have em.

I noticed this morning while loading my snowboard gear into the rooftop box (because I stand on the back tires to do it) that the rear wheels clunk when applying perpendicular force, this seems like symptom of worn out rear wheel bearing. I've never replaced rear wheel bearings before, on any vehicle, so I'm out of my depth. And I noticed a peculiar noise eminating from under the hood of this cursed beast, I tried to snag a video of it but it's too dark and it wasn't making said noise (of course). I'll post up something tomorrow. Hopefully it's not the motor about to grenade .

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Maybe not. If you push or pull on the rear wheel, it could be just the little freeplay between the axle c-clip and the spider gear. Quite normal.

SnowBlazer

Jun 9, 2014
Colorado Springs
What happened to the Liftmeister body lift?
Mark lost everything in the hurricane back in October. He was able to salvage just enough for the suspension lifts. If you want a body lift, he can get the Zone Offroad kit for 350 shipped.

Snailblazin'

Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
Oh shit! I DID read that, someone started a GOFUNDME for him. That's horrible. I'll shoot him a message on his site. Thanks my man.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
The 2 inch Zone works. I had it before the 3 inch happened

Snailblazin'

Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
LB front shot Apr-17.jpg IMG_1130.JPG
Updated for rear sway bar delete, some dip on the hood, trimmed bumper and parts infusion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mooseman

Snailblazin'

Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
So this is a thing, is it a borked water pump? Something else, more sinister perhaps?

Snailblazin'

Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
Sounds like the perfect time for an e-fan upgrade too!

Is there anything else I should probably do while I'm in there?

Should the pulley be replaced too?

Last edited:

Snailblazin'

Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
Update for Yakima roof rack parts.

Swapped out the weak ass factory cross bars in favor of Yakima landing pads, towers, 60" black core bars, windshield fairing, Megawarrior basket extension, SKS locks, Frontloader bike carriers and J-cradles for kayaks. Loading a family of four's shit on top of the truck should take a lot less time now, and fewer ratchet straps! It's solid AF, everything is locked to the truck and with the extension I can have everything up there and still use the basket to store gas and lock boxes.

Of note: My local accessories store was so dead-set on nothing working (Thule or Yakima) that they claimed I would have to remove EVERYTHING from the roof, factory tracks included, install Thule tracks to the roof and then towers and bars to the tune of an additional $500. The Yakima Landing Pads fit better than factory and were a breeze to install.

Old version:
old roof setup.jpg
New version:
IMG_1211.JPG

Last edited:

Snailblazin'

Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
Update for water pump replacement, rear brake job and Massive panhard bar repair. Turns out that's what's been driving me bat-shit crazy all this time.

IMG_1338.JPG IMG_1341.JPG
IMG_1342.JPG
IMG_1344.JPG IMG_1318.JPG
IMG_1316.JPG

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA

Snailblazin'

Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
The passenger side heim joint had a bunch of play in it, making a clunk similar to a failed sway bar link except I could feel it in the wheels when applying perpendicular force. Those types of sounds make me mental. Also, inside a year since original purchase and Massive didn't cover it. I am disappoint.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
The passenger side heim joint had a bunch of play in it, making a clunk similar to a failed sway bar link except I could feel it in the wheels when applying perpendicular force. Those types of sounds make me mental. Also, inside a year since original purchase and Massive didn't cover it. I am disappoint.
Hmm, i'm gonna look into that on mine then man, I've got an intermittent clunk that will either be in the front or rear of my truck. I believe it's driveline related, but i'm doing a process of elimination. Perhaps the two are unrelated.

Snailblazin'

Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
It took me 3 separate diagnostic sessions (hard to do alone!) and then I took it to a shop. I thought it could be the rear axle bearings. What a pain in my ass!

Reactions: Mooseman and Capote

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
It took me 3 separate diagnostic sessions (hard to do alone!) and then I took it to a shop. I thought it could be the rear axle bearings. What a pain in my ass!
Well good to hear you got it figured out :tiphat:

Reactions: Tiggerr

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Not the first I have heard of issues with the Massive stuff honestly. Glad you got it figured out though

Snailblazin'

Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
I found 2 more faulty spherical rod ends on my passenger side upper and lower control arms, bringing the running total to 3. After much discussion with Karl Truty at Massive Speed Systems I've learned one very important lesson: Massive doesn't really give a shit. They don't stand behind the product they sell, they are not cooperative in finding a solution and generally Karl is an asshole. Don't waste your money buying from Massive.

Also, apparently they have a "procedure" for maintaining the rod ends that needs to be adhered to so they don't prematurely fail. What a fucking joke, try and find that written somewhere on their website. In case anybody's wondering it requires removing the boots, applying grease, and reinstalling the boots.

Reactions: Redbeard

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Sounds like some of the other experiences referenced on ORTB. Sad one of the few providers for us has such low customer service.

Snailblazin'

Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
Update:
Time for a tire rotation! Also while I'm in there I might as well change out the front axle disconnect, the worn out CV shaft (hose clamp mod!) and yet another wheel bearing. Went better than expected.
I've noticed that the Snailblazer seems indifferent to the brands of wheel bearings it eats. The latest victim was an AC Delco unit that maybe made it 365 days.

truck pics oct 17.jpg
axle disconnect out.jpg
axle disconnect in.jpg
all together.jpg

Last edited:

Snailblazin'

Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
I had a chance to go for a small rip in some deep, wet snow at my local testing grounds and I was impressed at the ease with which the truck just crept up this shitty little railroad access track. Makes me think that I might have 4wheeled the truck in 2Hi for longer than I originally suspected.

From that little foray I noticed that either the driver's side wheel bearing is worn out or the brand new wheel bearing I just put in it has shit the bed. The growl from the recently deceased bearing may have been masking the other side. It seems likely given the amount of noise I was dealing with. The current bearing noise seems to suggest passenger side as it goes away when the passenger side is loaded in a left hand turn, which I realize doesn't always hold water. Further to this, while only in 4Hi there is an audible chirp or clicking? sound coming from the passenger side and a mad driveline vibration at between 30-50 kph. Fuck sake. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Could be the disconnect.

Snailblazin'

Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
Got a chance to have a peek under the front end and saw this little mess...
8CE92D75-3CA0-4CB1-9F23-5165D4749335.jpeg

Right in the valley of the second bellows there's a 2 inch slice in the boot. The grease is now ejaculated all over everything. Odds of this happening on its own right outta the box? Noticed that the driveline vibration is gone now, might it have been caused by an imbalanced CV shaft as it unevenly jizzes grease on my truck? The sound is still there in 4WD only though, that shit probably doesn't fix itself.

Last edited:

Snailblazin'

Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
I just can't fucking win with the Snailblazer 2.0, it hates me. Here's another random noise only in 4WD, sounds like it's coming from the driver's side. Anybody have something similar?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Sounds a bit tinny. Driveshaft? Axle?

Snailblazin'

Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
After so much f***** around I've reached my limit with the snailblazer and it's high time it moved on to greener pastures. As of tomorrow it'll be someone else's problem. We did had some good times though and it brought me a small amount of pleasure when people referred to it as a Jeep. I'll miss it in much the same way people miss cranky a**hole's after they've died and time smooths out the rough edges.

Last edited by a moderator:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mar 31, 2017
PA
R.I.P. Snailblazer 2.0, we hardly knew ya. almost 4 years and a few thousand dollars later and you take your final shit. Can we get a R.I.P. section for all of the TB that are no longer with us? The Photobucket pics are already gone, so we have nothing but memories of what they were.

Snailblazin'

Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
It's gonzo my friend, besides they're junk. I couldn't in good conscience even give them to you. They look nice and whatnot but the stockers performed better and gave me zero headache. The only thing worth parting out was the stereo. The main reason I miss it was my sweet sticker collection on the hatch and seeing the car seat indent in the backseat as I closed the door on it for the last time :sadcry:.

Reactions: fletch09

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online