Smoke on startup

oh05ext

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
randomly on first start up for the day the truck blows some blueish smoke out the tailpipe.i read about some silverados having this issue and am calling the dealer today to see if theres a tsb for the valve covers or not but in the meantime i think im gonna add a diy oil seperator to see if it helps.any other ideas guys?

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
Typically from a valve seal leak

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
Mine use to do that too and also during hard acceleration, was around 63,000 km's. The tip of my exhaust was caked with black soot. Replacing valve covers seemed to help smoking but still went through oil, and then about 21,000 km's later bye bye motor. I just looked on dealer invoice and it refers to PIP4574C, valve cover baffle concerns. I think I've read some people have used a top engine cleaner to help with this, not 100% sure tho?

BRomanJr

Dec 9, 2011
oh05ext said:
randomly on first start up for the day the truck blows some blueish smoke out the tailpipe.i read about some silverados having this issue and am calling the dealer today to see if theres a tsb for the valve covers or not but in the meantime i think im gonna add a diy oil seperator to see if it helps.any other ideas guys?

In my experience with this problem, The PCV baffle defect in the driver side valve cover was the majority of my oil usage. Both covers do not need to be replaced.

Obtain a new cover from GM, definitely don't put on a used one. Not all were defective, if you have excessive oil usage at highway speeds, the valve cover is suspect.

The DOD Engines (2005 & up -5.3) had an additional TSB? for oil usage and I'm not sure what was involved there.

A Top Engine Cleaner can help with sticky rings, or you can use WOT a time or two per month.

An oil separator will help, but only with the valve cover problem.

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
BRomanJr said:
In my experience with this problem, The PCV baffle defect in the driver side valve cover was the majority of my oil usage. Both covers do not need to be replaced.

Obtain a new cover from GM, definitely don't put on a used one. Not all were defective, if you have excessive oil usage at highway speeds, the valve cover is suspect.

The DOD Engines (2005 & up -5.3) had an additional TSB? for oil usage and I'm not sure what was involved there.

A Top Engine Cleaner can help with sticky rings, or you can use WOT a time or two per month.

An oil separator will help, but only with the valve cover problem.

Just wondered what you would define as excessive oil usage, my oil for example is down 2 dots on the dipstick after 3000 miles/5000 km's, prob 95% hiway speeds, is that excessive or normal for a 5.3? Thanks.

BRomanJr

Dec 9, 2011
Denali n DOO said:
Just wondered what you would define as excessive oil usage, my oil for example is down 2 dots on the dipstick after 3000 miles/5000 km's, prob 95% hiway speeds, is that excessive or normal for a 5.3? Thanks.

I was losing/burning 2 quarts in ~1000 miles, it was bad. After my valve cover change and cleaning things up with an engine flush, cleaning out the oil pan after the loosened sludge ended up plugging the screen (appears that before I bought it the oil was never changed!), and later some occasional spirited driving, I now get well over 3000 on a quart with over 189,000 miles on the clock.

Your oil usage sounds good, I can't tell you what is "normal" but I have read about many 5.3 owners using less than a quart between changes. Apparently I am in the minority.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude