Smart people who understand offsets - step on in, please!

CruzinQueen

Original poster
Dec 30, 2011
Ok, guys and gals.

I scored some sweet rims (2 sets) for a good price and I'm trying to figure out which set will work best.

I will be running the 1.5" Mark MC adapters (6x5 to 6x5.5) on stock 245/65 R17 (will be upgrading to 265/65/R17 soon)b and now have the following choices:

1) 17x9 Eagle Alloy 197 Canyon Black wheels with a -11.8 mm offset, 108.20 mm back bore

2) KMC XD Series Addict XD798 in matte black wheels with an 18mm offset, hub 106.25mm

I've searched the forum with no luck on the negative offset. I really want to run option #1 but if that won't work than I think #2 is fine. If I understand offsets the negative will bring the wheels out from the fenders, right? And with the adapters that could mean trouble.

Please let me know what you think! The ones I do not use will be for sale. Thanks! - Jen

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR

CruzinQueen

Original poster
Dec 30, 2011
the roadie said:
Read: Offset (wheel) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Negative offset is bad. It pushes the tires outside the wheel well.

Extreme positive offset (50mm) is what the OEM rims were designed with.

Thanks, Roadie. That's what I thought. I found this calculator for offsets and I'd be looking at about 5" of tire sticking out of my fender with the adapters so that probably will not be a good idea. I don't like the wheels as much, but I think the KMC wheels will be the option I have to go with.

http://www.gtsparkplugs.com/WheelOffsetCalc.html

Anyone else have any comments?

fadyasha

Dec 21, 2011
I think your safest bet will be anywhere between 12+ and 25+ when running the adapters from Mark. This is what he advised me earlier :thumbsup:

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
CruzinQueen said:
I will be running the 1.5" Mark MC adapters (6x5 to 6x5.5) on stock 245/65 R17 (will be upgrading to 265/65/R17 soon)b and now have the following choices:

1) 17x9 Eagle Alloy 197 Canyon Black wheels with a -11.8 mm offset, 108.20 mm back bore

A 9" wide rim is to wide for a 265/65/17. How wide are the other rims? Also , why not step up to 265/70/17 tires? You're going to be able to clear the ball joint and you'll probably need a lift for either tire with that setup.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Short Bus said:
A 9" wide rim is to wide for a 265/65/17.
You point out something important that I said a few times on the OS. On the manufacturers spec page for tires, they list the allowable rim widths. Many of the popular sizes we put on are listed for 7-8.5", so 9" rims won't work legally. A few wide ones like 305's might be 8-9", and then the OEM 7" rims are disallowed. Tires can often mount OK on non-specified rims, but in case of an accident, when the lawyers and expert witnesses get involved and insurance companies are trying to wiggle out of paying, I'd hate to have to defend a decision to install tires on rims that aren't meant to go together.

CruzinQueen

Original poster
Dec 30, 2011
Thanks everyone for the help. I found this snazzy little tool:

Custom rims, wheel tire packages for your ride - RIMSnTIRES.com

and was able to determine that I'm going to get about 3" of outward spacing by the time I use the +18mm offset 9" wide wheels and the wheel adapters. I think I can live with that. It should give me that agressive, offroad look I want. Time for some new, wider tires and the 2.5" lift from Mark MC. I'll get pictures up as soon as I can.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
I usually do the math myself like this:

OEM offset 50mm, new offset 18mm. Change is 32 mm outward = 1.25"
OEM rim width 7", new rim width 9". Change is 1" outward (half of the rim pushes outwards, half pushes inwards.
Spacers = 1.5"

Total = 3.75" outward

It'll work, but because of the arc that the edge of the tire will sweep out, you'll be cutting the back of your bumper and possibly rubbing at the back edge of the wheel well where the rocker panel mounting bracket is, when you go to the 265s.

And as I mentioned, I don't think the 245mm wide tires will be rated to fit on a 9" rim.

drawing1.jpg

CruzinQueen

Original poster
Dec 30, 2011
Hmmm....I will have to think about that. I'm planning to lift it soon, probably the 2.5" from Mark MC. I appreciate your help with this!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online