Sluggish-ness

jmonica

Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
Hamburg, NJ
Hey Guys. This is kind of a vague question so forgive me in advance, but here goes.

Ruling out a worn out engine just tired from a lot of miles, it has a clean air filter, no CEL, no miss or stumbles on acceleration, spark plugs are good, the parking brake is disengaged and not dragging, nor are the brake brakes,
the transmission is not slipping, I’m not towing a trailer, the tire pressures are good, the A/C is off, no change in average fuel mileage noticed and my Ex mother-in-law is not weighing down the vehicle from back seat like only she could, is there anything specific to our vehicles that would cause them to run sluggish? It’s idling fine. Acceleration is smooth. I have just recently noticed a very small exhaust leak noise, but beyond that all seems to be operating normally. It’s just that the truck doesn’t seem to have any pep. A highway speeds I feel as though I need to mash the pedal to try to kick down two gears to pass a car unless I want to wait 5 minutes. Ok this is exactly what it feels like. I feel like I’m driving a car with a small four cylinder engine when it used to have an IL6 (which is does I could have had a V8!). Bad joke. Anyway that’s the best way I can describe it. I feel like it’s lost 50 HP.

Having driven this model of envoy for 18 years I can usually detect somwthing isn’t right. The only thing feel is off is the amount of power.

Not too long ago I installed a Trans Go shift kit or transmission thingy. Personally I think it shifts into second gear a little too hard, but whatever. I have a new catalytic comb. So that’s not plugged up. I just don’t know what else beyond dirty injectors might be the culprit or am I imagining it, so thought I’d ask the advice of the friendly crew on GMTnation. The BEST darn car forum on the internet and I mean that sincerely. Thanks!
I’m tempted to once again have PCMforLess do my ECM because that was one of the most dramatic performance improvements ever. I loved it but the dealer twice reflashed me when I’m for warranty service.
I also had a cracked head that I think happened while it was programmed but I blew that off to me just driving it like an animal most of the time.
Obviously I’d want to fix any problems prior to a new flash anyway. With ALL of that said, it shouldn’t need any enhancements to feel peppier than it does. Thank You All!

jmonica

Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
Hamburg, NJ
bad/old gas from setting too much? I thought you mentioned it had sat a while in another post
Hey Beacon, thanks for the reply. The thing say for 18 months, I then spent a month replacing the transmission and a lot of of other parts, upgraded some things snd did a boat load of rust removal. Everything from the skate tire hoist to the trans oil cooler was touched. I drove it for a month or two, got a née car and then it sat again for about 8 months. I did zero prep before hand. I started driving it again a few weeks ago when my other cars engine seized up. So I’ve gone through a few tanks of fuel but good suggestion. I hadn’t thought of that.
I’m gonna do a throttle body cleaning, check the injectors and plugs.
don’t laugh but I put a bottle of tune up in a can last night. I don’t waste my money on this type of stuff but I used to use it on my riding lawn mower. It would become hard to start and stutter once it was running until I put a can of it in. Within minutes the mower would start running good again. Once a year I would have to do it. So who knows. I’m quickly running out of ideas. If I have time ill do a compression and leak down test on Sunday.
Thank God the sunroof glass replacement was a breee exactly how Maverick said, 4 bolts drop in the new, tighten 4 bolts done!

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
you might try getting some run data from obd (thru torque or equivalent). Looking at things like fuel trims at idle and at steady medium rpm / throttle along with vacuum and timing / advance, throttle position, others? Go from the results.

aaserv

Dec 1, 2019
N of Baton Rouge, La.
Sounds a lot like my 4.8 Chevy did right before I ended up replacing Catalytic Convertor. Just gradually got weaker and weaker. Took awhile to set off any codes and then just quit at at once. When I pulled out the shop after replacing the convertor it was like driving a race car compared to the last 6-8 months before that..

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
He did mention he put in a new cat. Might be worth doing a backpressure check anyway in case something else is plugged up, like the muffler or resonator.

aaserv

Dec 1, 2019
N of Baton Rouge, La.
Missed that.... Maybe put in a cheap aftermarket? Just throwing out guesses...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScannerHeath

Members Online