NEED HELP Slow to shut off and CEL light comes on

Scott75j

Original poster
Dec 20, 2015
Jackson, MI
I have a weird problem with my 08 TB 4.2. It started over a year ago. Sometimes the car will not shut off properly. When you turn the ignition to shut it off, it will die slowly like it is running out of gas. When this happens, the CEL light will come on and stay on but will be slightly more dim than normal. If left overnight, the battery will die. Pulling the ECM fuse(29) will turn off the light and keep the battery from draining. The problem seems to happen most during weather changes, whenever it goes from cold to warm and vise versa. The only codes I have are related to the secondary air system. I need a new pump and valve. Anyone have any ideas? I have already replaced the ignition switch. Is my ECM going bad? Lately, the car has been shutting off normally sometimes and the CEL wil come on during the night and drain the battery.

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
So you already tried the switch, which is the usual suspect. Have you checked your grounds? Also sounds like a possibly feedback into the PCM. Did you install any accessories or a remote starter? When I had the efans, I had tapped into the fan cuircuit for power and when I had the fans on using the switch, the engine would keep running.

Scott75j

Original poster
Dec 20, 2015
Jackson, MI
I did check all of the grounds that I could find. It had a remote start on it but I had it removed when things started acting up about a year ago. No other aftermarket accessories.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Was everything removed properly? Maybe the bypass module was left in and is causing the issues.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online