Slow crank to no start

97xsaab

Original poster
Oct 16, 2019
Chicago
I've got a 09 97x with the 5.3L. Got a slow start problem out of nowhere. Ran into the store and came out to two slow cranks and then clicking. Figured it needed a battery and the parts store was in the same lot. Ran over. Tossed a battery in it....same problem. Parts guy brought a tester out, connected to battery, said the starter was bad. Ok so I bought one of those. Had it towed home and changed the starter (easier said then done, these suck on these cars) went to start it...same problem. Now I'm just frustrated. Anyone else see or have the issue?

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I'd put a voltmeter on the starter, and see what kind of voltage is getting to it. You know you have new battery & starter, so I'd be looking at the condition of the cable / ground, next (how did it look, when you put the starter in?)
After that, the starter relay.
After that, someone else will have to chime in, I'm afraid.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
What kind of mileage does it have? If voltage, relays, etc. all check out, try taking the spark plugs out and see if it will now spin. Try turning the crank with the balancer bolt. There is a possibility that the engine itself has a mechanical issue.

Thinking about it more, how's the exhaust? Is it possibly plugged? What about the cats? ( I remembered as a kid when my dad had a potato shoved in the tailpipe causing slow cranking)

Reactions: mrrsm

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It would be possible. That's another thing we can add to the list of things to check. Good job finding it.

97xsaab

Original poster
Oct 16, 2019
Chicago
I cannot take credit. I ran out of time and patience and had it brought to the shop. With two guys looking at it it was simple to see the ac compressor not spinning when they tried to start it. Ugh. So a free.99 fix of cutting the belt off and it was back up and running lol

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online