Slow crank no start

Jmbates07

Original poster
Jan 5, 2020
Gordonsville Tennessee
Ok I will start from the very beginning. I have a 2006 gmc envoy. I do know it’s the 6 cylinder I just don’t know which motor.
I was driving down the road and the truck stalled while driving. Code light was on previously due to oil change so I didn’t think nothing about the light. I coasted to parking lot. Tried starting. Started right up and shut it self off as soon as it turned over. It did that twice. So I waited till lunch and went back to truck tried starting it and had a very slow crank but will not turn over. So I got battery tested and it’s good. Befor I went any further I did my research like any red blooded American. I’m getting different answers. I bought a starter a battery and a ignition starter switch. I put in battery. Very slow crank but no start. So I replaced ignition starter switch. Same problem. I still have the new starter but have not put it in yet. Any ideas!!! Please help!!!!

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Code light was on previously due to oil change so I didn’t think nothing about the light.

The check engine light, and change oil lights, are separate. Was the check engine light steady, or was it flashing at all at any point while you drove it. Did you ever get the code checked to find out what it said? That's what we really need to know before we can really help you.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Mileage? So if it is the 6 cylinder it is the 4.2 L. Anything else giving you problems leading up to this? You most important too to troubleshooting a check-engine light is a code reader.

Jmbates07

Original poster
Jan 5, 2020
Gordonsville Tennessee
200k+ I’m hoping it didn’t spin a bearing. I will check codes tomorrow. Will update. No problems leading up to it. Just died while driving then it started twice back to back but both times killed itself when it turned over. Now I have a very slow weak crank but will not turn over. I can see the motor turning trying to start but like I said it’s slow and weak.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Since you already got a new starter, might as well put it in and see if that might be the cause of the slow crank. Do the lights dim while trying to crank? If the engine was mechanically hard to crank, the starter would draw a whole lot more power trying to turn it and lights would dim more than usual. Try swapping the starter relay (not likely but worth a shot).

If that doesn't fix the slow crank, then check further into battery connections and grounds. A code reader may also be of assistance. If it's still cranking slowly, pull the spark plugs, inspect them and try cranking. There should practically be no resistance. Try turning it with a socket and breaker bar.

Reactions: Reprise

Jmbates07

Original poster
Jan 5, 2020
Gordonsville Tennessee
Update! So I put the starter on. Same problem. Weak slow crank. Didn’t get to run codes due to it reset itself when battery died or I unplugged the battery to work on it.

JerryIrons

Dec 20, 2011
Check the voltage on your battery as well, I know you said you replaced it but make sure nothing is causing a parasitic drain. You can jump it to another vehicle with engine running to see if that affects your starting as well. Make sure all your wires connecting to your battery and starter are nice and clean, along with any engine grounds you can find. I think you can swap out the relay as well to test in the control box. I had a problem similar to yours, and I ended up putting in a new battery, starter, ignition switch and finally new alternator which fixed it. And really, get yourself a code reader they are cheap.

Jmbates07

Original poster
Jan 5, 2020
Gordonsville Tennessee
Still no running envoy. I have a code reader but the battery died and can’t read the codes because I can’t get it started to make the check engine light come on. Replaced starter battery ignition switch and tried jumping off. Still same problem. Weak slow crank. I will try it this weekend and fool around with it and run process of limitation.

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
Just one more thing to eliminate. Did you check to make sure there is oil in the engine? You said you had a recent oil change. It actually sounds more like the engine is seized.

Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It has already been suggested to check this possibility.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online