Slight whining noise when pressing gas?

TexazReece

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
When I press the gas while driving there is a slight whine. Anyone know what could cause this and is it an easy fix( diy )? I was told it is the idler pulley but is there anything else I should look into?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Could be any of the six rotating items spun up by the serpentine belt. The idler pulley is the most frequent culprit, which is cool because it's the cheapest. But it could be anything. Put your mechanics stethoscope on each of them in turn if you need absolute certainty before possibly wasting $20.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
TexazReece said:
When I press the gas while driving there is a slight whine. Anyone know what could cause this and is it an easy fix( diy )? I was told it is the idler pulley but is there anything else I should look into?

how many miles? Idler and tensioner pulleys along with belt usually need to be changed anywhere between 70 &100k miles. You can usually use your ears while standing in front of engine. Left ear noise is power steering or tensioner. Right ear noise is usually idler pulley. But yeah using a mechanics stethescope like Bill suggested will prove acurate.

Wahugg

Dec 4, 2011
I don't want to thread hijack, but I have a similar problem.

When I moderately push the accelerator there is a small whine with a very small tell tale rattle noise. When I gun it, the noise is not present, or if I pop it in neutral (coasting or non coasting) and free rev it, the noise is not present. It seems only to be present when there is an large load placed on the engine. Such as when I only moderately accelerate. The gear will not change but the engine will bog down a little till I really get on the peddle to make it downshift. Once it down shifts the noise is gone, but the engine noise could be covering it up.

Now the noise is not loud. I barely hear it at low speeds (because of wind noise) with the windows down. But it becomes much more noticeable if you drive along a building because the noise echoes off the building.

Here is so more info if it helps:
All fluids are current: Front diff, Tranny, Transfer, Rear Diff
Cleaned TB
Made sure anything I have worked on was within specific spec.

-Wahugg

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
the roadie said:
Could be any of the six rotating items spun up by the serpentine belt.
plus the belt.

Wahugg said:
When I moderately push the accelerator there is a small whine with a very small tell tale rattle noise.
-Wahugg
Your noise could be "spark knock". Next time the tank is close to empty. toss in a few gallons of high test. Run the engine for a few miles and see if the noise goes away.

TexazReece

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
My current mileage is 86,000, I will look into it and see if I could determine by ear where the noise is coming from. Thanx everyone you all are the best :grouphug:

Wahugg

Dec 4, 2011
RayVoy said:
plus the belt.

Your noise could be "spark knock". Next time the tank is close to empty. toss in a few gallons of high test. Run the engine for a few miles and see if the noise goes away.

Perfect excuse to go fill up with 105 experimental from a local gas station. It states for offroad use only! :tongue: You just have to make sure you get the unleaded version otherwise your cat converter is a gonner :redface:.

I'll report back to see if this changes the noise at all.

-Wahugg

P.S. Yes I did wait for the low fuel light to come on before filling up

JRTAHOE

Nov 20, 2011
The whining noise on mine is a supercharger :biggrin:

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
I had this issue when my water pump was going bad.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Voymom said:
I had this issue when my water pump was going bad.

I find it hard to believe the water pump would only make noise when in gear. Sounds more like a drivetrain issue.

Oh wait ...which person are we replying to? Ugh.

Wahugg

Dec 4, 2011
Update!

So I waited for my tank to be practically empty and I threw 5 gallons of 105 experimental in the tank. Besides costing $26, my idle became noticeably smoother and it had a little bit more of a smoother acceleration. Maybe a little boost in power but nothing substantial.

Perhaps I didn't explain the sound enough. It is defiantly only present while under load, and its a rattle. Kinda like a chain being dragged over rocks but not as severe or loud.

Thanks for the suggestions thus far

-Wahugg

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
Hmmm, ok, may be something loose, check under the hood for things that might be loose/banging together/ etc.

Also, with hood closed, try lightly hitting the corners of the hood with your fist, maybe the hood is not resting on the hood stops (these can be adjusted).

Third possibility (others have reported this), gravel by the transmission, check the frame cross-member that holds the tranny.

And.......... maybe worn motor mounts, letting the motor move too much while under load.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Wahugg said:
Update!

So I waited for my tank to be practically empty and I threw 5 gallons of 105 experimental in the tank. Besides costing $26, my idle became noticeably smoother and it had a little bit more of a smoother acceleration. Maybe a little boost in power but nothing substantial.

Perhaps I didn't explain the sound enough. It is defiantly only present while under load, and its a rattle. Kinda like a chain being dragged over rocks but not as severe or loud.

Thanks for the suggestions thus far

-Wahugg

So is the noise still there? You just said it ran smoother but nothing about noise.

Wahugg

Dec 4, 2011
CaptainXL said:
So is the noise still there? You just said it ran smoother but nothing about noise. Also please dont hijack threads like this. Its rude and makes following a thread hard for everyone trying to help.

Yes the noise is still persistent dispite the smoothness the 105 experimental provided. Perhaps it was just a mental observation (feeling things that wern't there) due to me knowing a higher octane was in the tank. I may try to get an audio clip of the sound to further help in suggestions as to whaat it may be.

My intention was not to be rude or confusing. Rather then having two threads on almost the same topic (ie. Mutiple threads on something such as the 'mysterious' red wire under the hood) making clutter, I figured it would benifit the op or myself incase one of us found a solution to the problem that may work on our own vehicle.

I'll make another thread if it is necessary by moderators discretion.

Thanks again for the suggestions and comments!

-Wahugg

TexazReece

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I'm taking it to mechanic Saturday to change out idler pulley, new belt and getting some fluids changed. Let's see how it goes. Will post results afterwards if the noise is gone

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
FWIW mine has a little "rattle" to it also but only around 2400-2800 RPM or so while in gear and driving, then it goes away. Does not do it in neutral. Always has done it, never figured it out, and it has just shy of 160k on it, so I figure it is just something that rattles due to a resonant frequency from the engine at that RPM range. It might be the same thing you have Wahugg. Does yours do it only from a certain RPM range or across the whole range?

Wahugg

Dec 4, 2011
Sparky said:
FWIW mine has a little "rattle" to it also but only around 2400-2800 RPM or so while in gear and driving, then it goes away. Does not do it in neutral. Always has done it, never figured it out, and it has just shy of 160k on it, so I figure it is just something that rattles due to a resonant frequency from the engine at that RPM range. It might be the same thing you have Wahugg. Does yours do it only from a certain RPM range or across the whole range?

Its reassuring to know that it has not caused problems for you, but I believe mine to be across the whole rpm range. The only reason why I cant confirm is because wind noise becomes too great, but it is more noticeable in the lower revs in a higher gear.

The other thing that concerns me is that my rattle developed recently, as in it wasn't there before. Maybe yours has been there the whole time and is just your little fluke for your truck, but something has changed on mine to produce it.

But thanks for the post!

-Wahugg

Wahugg

Dec 4, 2011
I found the root cause of my rattle.

Unfortunately it is something rather major, the timing chain being stretched or loose.

Basically all week on the farm I have been getting a real rough idle and rough engine under heavy loads. My dad told me it was probably the timing change and we brought it into our trusted shop for confirmation. Total projected cost for R&R is 2k family friend price. They said they would probably just pull the body and then pull off all the accessories, radiator, and all the other stuff to take off the front plate.

I hope this is not anyone else s case, but I figured I would thow it out there.

-Wahugg

truck2trail

Apr 5, 2012
I've had the "whine" for a few weeks. Today i went to my local Auto Parts dealer (Crappy Tire as we call them here !). Bought a Goodyear replacement for the Idler Pulley. Didn't fit, so I replaced the original.

THE WHINE HAS GONE !! All I did was grease the bolt threads to make it easier to screw the bolt in.

Anyone explain that ???!!!

TexazReece

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
the roadie said:
Could be any of the six rotating items spun up by the serpentine belt. The idler pulley is the most frequent culprit, which is cool because it's the cheapest. But it could be anything. Put your mechanics stethoscope on each of them in turn if you need absolute certainty before possibly wasting $20.

Thanks for your help roadie it was that idler pulley and changed the belt as well. Wish it was an easy fix for everyone with the whining prob tho

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
TexazReece said:
When I press the gas while driving there is a slight whine.

That's your wallet making the noise because oil and petrol prices started rising again. :rotfl:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online