slight hairline cracks in roof panel paint at the rear hatch

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
I was washing the Envoy and noticed some small cracks in the paint running lengthwise where the roof panel meets the body of the vehicle. They are about an inch long and flex a little when you push on them. Looking down on them from the top...They are on both the left and right sides by the rear cover from the roof rack mounts. Anyone else notice these on their Envoy or Trailblazer?

hockeyman

Aug 26, 2012
Put anything heavy onto the roof rack lately? Could also be from the previous owner (if any)...
Otherwise, when I had my Envoy, I never noticed anything like that on my roof.

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Nothing put on the roof rack since I've owned it. I was involved in a rear end accident, someone hit me....but it did only bumper damage. I can't believe that it might have been hard enough to create these cracks.....

hockeyman

Aug 26, 2012
Could have just flexed the body enough just to cause the damage up there where the base of the rack is bolted. Not really much you can do. Any type of surface repair you do will eventually flex again and re-cause the same issue(s), especially with bumps on the road and the temperature changes with the seasons.

Me? I'd mix some 2-part automotive clearcoat up and try to lightly fill in the cracks of the paint. Then again, I know I'd be facing the same problem later on. Just me though... :biggrin:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Some have cracked the body there with subwoofers

Reactions: hockeyman

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
I was washing the Envoy and noticed some small cracks in the paint running lengthwise where the roof panel meets the body of the vehicle. They are about an inch long and flex a little when you push on them. Looking down on them from the top...They are on both the left and right sides by the rear cover from the roof rack mounts. Anyone else notice these on their Envoy or Trailblazer?

Are you talking about the painted plastic panel that is between the roof and the hatch? If so, I just did a major reconstruction of that panel. I saw the crack when washing the roof. When I checked it I found pieces of black plastic falling from there and landing in the cargo area. After removing the panel there were three cracked mounting flanges so the end of the panel was just flapping around. The brass inserts are pressed in with such force so that the plastic eventually cracks as it ages. I epoxied numerous reinforcing splices underneath the cracked areas and even fabricated a new mounting flanges to replace the disintegrated ones. I also wire wrapped all of the plastic pieces that the brass inserts fit into to keep them from cracking.
And the plastic flanges for attaching the 3rd brake light had cracked too - the sides ones I could glue and reinforce, but the center flange was gone and another had to be made. The flanges are joined to the panel with less than 1mm thick plastic - no wonder it all cracked and fell apart.

We should get together and take turns smacking a GM engineer with a billy club to beat some common sense into them:deadhorse:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online

No members online now.