Silverado ignition switch question

Drec

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jan 29, 2018
Yakima, Washington
I finished installing the clutch pedal in my truck yesterday. Today changed the oil and was going to move it to hook up my car trailer. Put the ignition key into the lock, and it wouldn't turn. So I played with it for a while and then started taking it apart. Looked at some YouTube videos and found one that had a similar problem, but his switch was different than mine. Anyway I did get the lock cylinder out, but I can't get it apart.

I called the dealer and my lock is for a manual transmission only application. BTW, there isn't one available in the state of Washington and has to be ordered. I did find a replacement lock from O'Reillys; which might be available tomorrow. The part is a BWD ignition lock cylinder part #CS1122L.

My question is, can I start and drive the truck without the lock cylinder installed? I had the ignition switch out and might not have reinstalled it correctly, as I've tried to start it with a screwdriver, and it starts and kills when releasing it from the start position. I'll play with the indexing of the switch, but was wondering if something magical was going on with the lock cylinder installed.

I was hoping to get my Envoy to the transmission shop in the morning.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Our trucks are equipped with PassLock which basically prevents what your are trying to do. Is the lock symbol on or flashing?

Drec

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jan 29, 2018
Yakima, Washington
Okay thanks, I saw the lock symbol on the instrument cluster. I don't remember it flashing.

Got a new lock cylinder, recoded the lock and installed it. Everything works now.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher