Shut off Question

BuffettTruck

Original poster
May 2, 2018
Florida
One thing I've assumed is just 'normal' for my '05 TB with the 4.2 is the way it shuts off. Until a friend commented on it. When I turn off the ignition, the engine absolutely stops. Which sounds like a 'duh' statement. But when I say it stops, I mean there's nothing loose about the way it stops. As an anology, imagine rolling along at 10 mph and stomping on the brake. Instead of feeling like you quickly drop to a stop, you come to an instant and absolute stop with not even a rock of the tires. That is how the engine shuts off. I just figured it is a matter of how the engine was designed, and maybe it is, but I want to make sure. If need be, I can take it to someone just to have them listen to it shut off, but I am out of state on vacation (without the TB) at the moment and my buddy's surprised comment keeps bugging me.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I wouldn't worry about it?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Out of curiosity, what do you want to hear, as opposed to what's happening?

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
When you turn the key off, it should just "stop." Not putter off like it is dieseling.

Sounds like your engine is shutting off normally to me.

BuffettTruck

Original poster
May 2, 2018
Florida
To be honest, most vehicles I have had prior to the TB have had a 'loose kill'. They shut off, but with a feeling of like they might have very quickly rolled to a stop, like the cylinders relax instead of just stop. The TB immediately stops, almost like a sieze and I thought that was what had happened the first time I test drove it and immediately restarted it to make sure it was okay. I have grown used to it since then, but then my buddy commented on how 'hard' it shut off. and it made wonder if it was something I should be concerned about. And of course he said this just before I was going to get on a plane, so I didn't have time to take it anywhere.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
The engine is pretty high compression ratio engine. Maybe it has to do with being 6 cylinders in line vs in a V pattern.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
javier perez

Members Online