Shudder or shaking on take off

offroadking208

Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
Truck is a 2005 Envoy SLT 4.2, PCM4LESS 87 Octane tune, has a G80 rear diff. When I take off it feels almost like i'm driving across the warning rumblers on the side of the road, or a shudder. Doesn't matter if i'm turning, or going straight. Does it for the first 3-5mph and then goes away. What could this be? The G80 going bad and disengaging and letting go again and again? Transmission shudder for some reason? I assume it's bad, but honestly have no idea, lol. My car before this was a Ford Crown Vic with a ton of mods. And I kinda miss the simplicity of that versus my Envoy, lol. Talk about something that was easy to work on.

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
Do you feel this in your hands, feet, or your butt? Or is the whole car shaking?

offroadking208

Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
The whole vehicle shudders. Same sensation as driving off the edge of the freeway onto the rumble strips

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
offroadking208 said:
The whole vehicle shudders. Same sensation as driving off the edge of the freeway onto the rumble strips

I had a 2010 Impala that use to shake like crazy when accelerating from stopped, GM changed out the torque converter...twice. Just a thought.

offroadking208

Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
See another thing that makes it weird is it only does it if you accelerate at a normal pace. If you romp it to the floor, or accelerate quickly, no shudder.

Decembersend

Dec 3, 2011
It can be a couple of things or at least from my experience. First issue was bad drive shafts, later on in the year my hub and tie rod went bad (that took me about a year to change) after changing those I went in for an alignment and they also balanced my wheels which was most of the vibration.

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
offroadking208 said:
See another thing that makes it weird is it only does it if you accelerate at a normal pace. If you romp it to the floor, or accelerate quickly, no shudder.

Sounds like you are in need of a new drive shaft u joint or two.... Place the vehicle in neutral on a flat surface with the wheels blocked very well.... Get under there and try moving the drive shaft up and down/ side to side and check for play in the ujoints... If there is noticeable play in either of them your in need of new joints...

offroadking208

Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
McGMT said:
Sounds like you are in need of a new drive shaft u joint or two.... Place the vehicle in neutral on a flat surface with the wheels blocked very well.... Get under there and try moving the drive shaft up and down/ side to side and check for play in the ujoints... If there is noticeable play in either of them your in need of new joints...
I'll have to try this. Hopefully it cools off here soon. It's been over 90 for like the last 2 months. I think we've had one enjoyable day in recent memory, lol

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
I'm with the guys above, it is probably a U-joint........................ if not, check the motor mounts.

Irishboy02

Apr 1, 2012
How many miles on your truck? Does your steering wheel shutter with your truck or just your truck shakes? Are your tires in decent condition?

Could also be the balance of your tires. Possible a loose lug nut (or two). Any wobble on deceleration? Could also be a warped rotor.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online