Should I get a "back up" PCM now?

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Most know my story. A failing PCM for many years. Numerous trips to the dealer and they could never diagnose it because it was an intermittant problem. Long story short. I finally decided to replace the PCM as all other possibilities had been exhausted. The Envoy has never run better and I plan on keeping it a long time.

As these get older, I'm thinking they will be harder to get parts for. I'm thinking while there is still a supply of PCM's out there for a reasonable price to get a back up one to have. The last one I purchased from PCM of N.C. has worked flawlessly. It was pre programmed with my V.I.N. and all that had to be done was the security reset once it was installed.

Has anyone else had a PCM fail? Is it common enough that I should keep a spare on hand? Thanks for any input.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It's not a common failure. Seen only 2 or 3 here including yours. Saw one that was giving internal memory errors.

You can get one if you like however you won't be able to transfer whatever extra programming PCMofNC did as they are locked to the SN of the PCM, not the VIN. You could get one, swap it in, do the relearn and then swap the other one back in so it will be ready to go. Just be sure the one you get is the same gearing as yours otherwise your speedo will be off.

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
It's not a common failure. Seen only 2 or 3 here including yours. Saw one that was giving internal memory errors.

You can get one if you like however you won't be able to transfer whatever extra programming PCMofNC did as they are locked to the SN of the PCM, not the VIN. You could get one, swap it in, do the relearn and then swap the other one back in so it will be ready to go. Just be sure the one you get is the same gearing as yours otherwise your speedo will be off.
I'm thinking of just ordering another one from PCM N.C. It wasn't too expensive and the one I bought from them earlier is working flawlessly. I'm concerned about the availability of them in the future.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online