Shocks

Stuntmanmike1977

Original poster
Nov 21, 2021
Sanford, Maine
What type of rear shocks are the best for these trucks? Bilstien seems too stiff. Was thinking Monroe. Running KYB now and they are softer than stock. A lot of body roll.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Most of us run/ran the Bilstein 4600 which is a heavy duty shock. If it's lifted then the 5100.

Dec 8, 2021
Silver Spring, MD
I ordered stock Delco shocks from Rock Auto and added stock rear sway bar bushings at the same time. Made a world of difference with my excessive body roll problem and helped dampen the bounce. I can only imagine all of my roll will disappear when I get the front sway bar bushings installed.
My Envoy has 111,000 miles and I have been slowly updating all of the bushings, links and such all around. I have not replaced the rear panard rod bushings, yet.

Reactions: Mooseman

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
I had Rancho RSX shocks on the rear and loved them. I think they are the same as the Monroe Reflex. When they were getting past ten years old, I switched to the Bilstein. I was hesitant at first because I didn't want a stiff ride, but they are great shocks and the ride is fantastic for my taste. (I am a huge handling guru, and have had my Trailblazer out on the road race track quite a few times.)

If you want to REALLY control body roll and help change the handling balance from understeer to more neutral, consider an upgraded rear sway bar.

Reactions: Mooseman

vipergg

Dec 7, 2011
I used Monroe Spectrum shocks which gave a close to original shock ride . Have been fine for over 50000 miles now . You can get them pretty cheap on rock auto .

Stuntmanmike1977

Original poster
Nov 21, 2021
Sanford, Maine
Thanks for the help. Probably go with Monroe or original. Don't want to do the struts again considering they are less than a year old. How about coil springs? AC Delco or Moog brand. Want to keep original ride height. They are REALLY rusty.

aaserv

Dec 1, 2019
N of Baton Rouge, La.
For the rear springs I used 08 Tahoe AC Delco springs from Rock Auto. Same length spring but has about 1 more turn than the stock springs so slightly stiffer. Seems like it picked up the rear maybe 1/2" to 1" but rides like a dream.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online