Shocks/Struts all 4 corners - 9-7x

Instrumental

Original poster
Jan 29, 2012
Going to do the whole shebang this weekend on the Saablazer. I'm over 130,000 miles and after doing some car shopping over the holidays, I've decided the best bang for my buck is what I have in the garage, so time to do a little work to it.

I found Bilsteins on Amazon for about 45.00 each, they were in the 'used - damaged packaging' category, still new in box when they showed up.

I know I have bad strut mounts, they've been clunking for a while so I went with a quick strut from Monroe. It's the 271341 with the OESpectrum strut and is ONLY listed as compatible with the 9-7x with 5.3 engine. I'm cautiously optimistic as I'd like to keep the lowered look and handling of the Saab. I replaced the air bags over the summer, so all of my supsension will be good for the forseeable future. I've also done lower control arms and tie rods not that far back, haven't gotten around to sway bar links/bushings just yet. So far they seem ok.

Now to my actual question! I'm perfectly confident in doing all this work, but I'm curious if there's a right or wrong direction to install the quick struts. Do that have a direction that should go inside or out? I can't spot anything to define this and with 2 bolts they'll go either way. Any advice or other comments on my work is welcome.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If they're not different part numbers side to side, I wouldn't think so. I did my own struts (Bilsteins) years ago and I can't remember anything out of the ordinary.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
It does not matter which way they go in, they're symmetrical.

Reactions: Mooseman

Instrumental

Original poster
Jan 29, 2012
Thanks gentlemen! I have the afternoon off, hoping to get started today.

Instrumental

Original poster
Jan 29, 2012
Update: I was stymied by Amazon. Well, also I should have checked. The two rear Bilsteins were shipped separately, and I didn't check the 2nd one before getting started. Turns out it was the wrong part, and I didn't discover it until I'd already pulled everything apart. So, I reinstalled the old shock and got another one on the way. Luckily it's a rear, so swapping it out will be pretty painless once it arrives.

The Monoroe quick struts are making me nervous. They are definetly riding higher then my Saab should, but it has only been one day so I'm hoping they settle down a bit as the break in. The ONLY listed application is for the 9-7x with 5.3, so here's hoping. I suppose worst case I could pull it back apart and swap in my old springs.

Even with one old shock still on the back, the ride was nice and smooth when I tested it last night. Haven't done more then around the block yet, so I'm looking forward to a longer trip to get the full effect.

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
Monroe might have used a slightly longer spring on the quick strut? When I did the fronts on mine, I was surprised by the lack of quick struts available. I went with the OESpectrum strut up front with a Moog 81112 coil spring set. It brought the front level with the rear, but it hasn't really changed the height much even after breaking it all in. Now when I had my Trailblazer EXT, I went for KYB Quick Strut Plus and those kept the front end at the same height as the OEM Struts.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online