Shocks and Struts on the 2006 Envoy.

Robmoo

Original poster
Jan 24, 2012
Fort Worth Texas
It is time to change the shocks and struts on my 2006 Envoy. They lasted over 100k miles so I supposed they've done their job. I plan on buying the struts already assembled because to springs look like they can be dangerous for someone working with them for the first time.

Any recommendation for parts? The vehicle mainly sees city driving with some highway. I do occasionally tow a camper so something that would be a bit better for towing might be nice. I want good parts but not to spend a lot. I also need to replace the sway bar end links.

Here is a kit on Amazon for $190, but something tells me that these parts are the lowest quality and if I spend $80-90 more I can probably get better quality parts.

Any recommendations?

Robmoo

Original poster
Jan 24, 2012
Fort Worth Texas
I crawled under the vehicle and the old shocks are Bilsteins. I bought this vehicle from Carmax with 20k on it because it had a rear locking diff. Are this bilsteins an upgrade?

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Bilsteins are stock, and its what I am going with for my rebuild. They can be had for around 280 for all 4 corners thru ebay, and a few other online retailers.

coolasice

Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
I'm going with the Bilstein 4600's. Just ordered them on Amazon. I borrow a spring tool from Autozone. Wish me luck!
Be cautious with those rental compressors,. The spring diameter might not fit into the safety latches.

Maverick6587

Dec 16, 2018
Sterling Heights, Michigan
Just because I spent 2 weeks researching shocks and struts. Bilsteins are stock but, you can only buy the direct model replacements by searching for the acdelco brand name, even though they are stamped with a bilstein sticker.

There are about six different models for trailblazer. I bought the acdelco 540-230 for my 9-7x. They are the exact replacement for my 9-7x. Yours may be different. In the picture you can see the C code, C001 and C002, C002 are the 540-230s.

I bought an extra 540-229 as it was listed for $13 on amazon. So, I'll try to sell that and make a few.

The 230s are stiffer than the 229s. I haven't installed them yet as I'm still waiting on my second 230.

IMG_20190916_171814.jpg

I haven't used the bought and sold by bilsteins before but, do not buy moog or monroe. Both of those are horrible! I switch my rear shocks from monroe to acdelco and it's night and day on the ride difference.

Reactions: Mooseman

Robmoo

Original poster
Jan 24, 2012
Fort Worth Texas
The Bilstein 4600HDs went in easier than I had any right to expect. I took the vehicle in for an alignment today. No dice. Upper control upper replacement and upper ball joint replacement here I come!

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
I went with Monroe Sensatrac shocks and struts when my OE ones died at 160,000km. I was disappointed as they lasted like 3 years/60,000km. Short of falling off, they failed badly. A year ago I put 4600's on and wish I did that years ago. All in all just a great shock.

Robmoo

Original poster
Jan 24, 2012
Fort Worth Texas
The ride is great. Once I replace the upper control arms hopefully it will be even better. It seems like the lower bushings are OK, but the upper control arm bushing are shot. I replaced the drivers side today and will do the passenger tomorrow. The passenger upper ball joint looks like the boot is still intact. Perhaps I won't have to replace it.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluecorp

Members Online