Shock Question

Flash12623

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
Are the Bilstein HD shocks any good? I'm considering buying some for my Silverado this summer if they're any good.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Flash12623 said:
Are the Bilstein HD shocks any good? I'm considering buying some for my Silverado this summer if they're any good.

You'll find the consensus on Bilstein HD's here are good.

Flash12623

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
One more question, would it be easier to install the rough country level kit when I install the shocks in the front than to do it at a different time?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
It's ALWAYS easier to do a lift install when the shocks are changed, although the Rough Country kit is outside-the-strut and much easier to install later without dragging out a spring compressor.

That said, the Rough Country kit is ONLY recommended for 2WD vehicles because it lengthens the overall length of the strut, which is extremely risky for our inner CV joints on 4WD trucks. And it could also put your upper ball joint at risk if you don't simultaneously flip and swap the two upper control arms from side to side.

An inside-the-strut spacer like those from SuspensionMAXX are less risky all around than Rough Country, who pushed their cheap kit on the market without adequate testing for 4WD trucks. I tested one, and got inner CV joint binding with Cardone aftermarket CV shafts. I suspect they only tested it on a vehicle with OEM parts.

jonbo2002

Sep 27, 2012
the roadie said:
It's ALWAYS easier to do a lift install when the shocks are changed, although the Rough Country kit is outside-the-strut and much easier to install later without dragging out a spring compressor.

That said, the Rough Country kit is ONLY recommended for 2WD vehicles because it lengthens the overall length of the strut, which is extremely risky for our inner CV joints on 4WD trucks. And it could also put your upper ball joint at risk if you don't simultaneously flip and swap the two upper control arms from side to side.

An inside-the-strut spacer like those from SuspensionMAXX are less risky all around than Rough Country, who pushed their cheap kit on the market without adequate testing for 4WD trucks. I tested one, and got inner CV joint binding with Cardone aftermarket CV shafts. I suspect they only tested it on a vehicle with OEM parts.

hey Roadie, I don't know if you noticed but he has a Silverado. is the roughcountry lift just a strut spacer like on our trucks?

Flash12623

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
It's alright. I'm going with the rough country for ease of installation. If it doesn't work all that well suspension maxx is my second choice.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timmerk

Members Online