Shitting on the GMC Acadia AT4

l008com

Original poster
Feb 19, 2016
Massachusetts
TL:biggrin:R; This lame front wheel drive car sure looks like a nice successor to the Trailblazer.

The long version: I always thought the Chevy and GMC versions of vehicles were basically identical. Just some nameplates, some minor styling cues but mostly identical. I was surprised to learn that the Acadia is shorter than the Traverse, by about 1.5'. And the Acadia has an off road package. Looking at it, it actually looks pretty good, like it may be a decent replacement for people who's SWB Trailblazers are starting to get a little old.

There are things I like about this SUV. It looks like a modernized version of the Trailblazer. It is the length of a short wheelbase Trailblazer but does have a third row so it can seat 6.

But alas, I'm not getting one. It's still a front wheel drive car. I haaaaate front wheel drive. With a passion. Even the AWD version of this thing is still primarily a front wheel drive vehicle. I really don't understand why you would make something like this as a front wheel drive.

Also while this looks beefy, it's actually an optical illusion. It's an "off road" package but the tires are smaller than the tires on my LT Trailblazer. It also has very poor towing capacity. While the 3.6 isn't my first choice for a motor in a vehicle like this (my TB has a 5.3), it would be a compromise i'd be willing to make if this were otherwise a nice, capable vehicle.

So imagine this vehicle built on a colorado/canyon platform. Towing capacity of 6000+ lbs, and a rear wheel drive based 4x4 system. And for the "AT4", give it a couple inches more ride height, 31x10.5" tires and a locking rear diff. Just a modern version of the ZR2. I know, it's the same old story us small SUV fans have been complaining about since the S10 was discontinued and then moreso when the Trailblazer was discontinued. Pretty much that whole time, there have been rumors of a truck based small SUV coming from GM but it never comes. But when I see this GMC, I see nothing but wasted opportunity. This could be the king of small SUVs. Instead it's just another minivan.

Ok all that said, has anyone driven one of these? I imagine power-wise, they feel peppy enough under normal driving but probably feel a little weak when loaded up and/or while towing. And how about the handling? Does it pull awkwardly like front wheel drilve tends to do? My guess is the overall take from people who have them would be that it's not nearly as bad as you think, but still not as good as it would be if it were truck-based.

Also as a footnote, while the 3.6 is "good enough", I imagine a vehicle like this, and the colorado itself would be REALLY nice with that new 2.7T they have in the full size pickups. Those things have a lot of HP and a lot of nice low toqure. In fact, that engine puts out more power and torque than my old V8 Trailblazer.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 3

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
In GM's usual wisdom, they're not listening to their customer base. For years we were saying we wanted a true midsize SUV and not another cookie cutter grocery getter with just AWD. The overseas market 2013+ TB, as you asked about in that section, wouldn't been the best however a helluva lot better than the garbage being thrown at us as an SUV. And that 2.8L Duramax would have helped with their CAFE requirements while giving us a vehicle capable of some decent towing.

Who the hell will pay the premium of having an AT4 badged Acadia? Really?

l008com

Original poster
Feb 19, 2016
Massachusetts
I'm kind of over diesel. I'm really looking forward to that 2.7T gas engine. Rumor is it's going in the Colorado next year. I think that will be an excellent engine for that truck. And if I still have my TB by then, I just may end up with a 2.7T colorado over a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Even though I really don't want a pickup.

But of course, put that 2.7T in an SUV that looks like the AT4 but is based on the colorado and that would be a NO BRAINER for me.

Reactions: Mooseman

cornchip

Jan 6, 2013
My list was short with regards to the TB that I had. I wanted a 6 cylinder on a 4WD based architecture and a ladder frame. GM just doesn't build that these days and likely never will again. I ended up going with a 4 door Wrangler Rubicon for equal money to a decently equipped Acadia. I couldn't be happier with my purchase. See ya GM! :raspberry:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.