Shifter has play/not clicking when in gear

ll6

Original poster
Sep 26, 2020
Oregon
I need help, please.
I am new to this forum, my apologies as I am not sure the correct protocols.
My 2002 Trailblazer, LTZ, 4wd, 6 cylinder, shifter cable just got replaced. But, you can shift gears and transmission engages, however, the shifter feels, for lack of better term, sloppy. Like I can put it into drive, I feel the car engage in drive, and yet the shifter didn't click, if you tap it, it pushes upwards a tad and clicks, stays in drive though. Is this possibly another bushing at the center console area? Wouldn't replacing the cable with new bushings have fixed it?
Many thanks for your input.
Lorie

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Welcome to GMT Nation...

The most important thing to understand about the Trailblazer Shifter Mechanism is the relationship between the Internal Steel Cable and its Outer Black Cable Housing:

It is possible to have the Cable properly set into the Shifter Handle Housing near the Center Console... AND have the Other End of the Cable properly connected into the 4L60E Transmission PRND123 Lever Arm via the Nylon Grommet and STILL have the Sensation of the Shifter Movement Feeling LOOSE if the Cable Housing End is NOT Properly Set into and held by the Cable Housing Bracket (Circled in BLUE in the Diagram).

It MUST be wedged into that Bracket tightly and held with Zip-Ties if needed, should the Factory Large "Staple" meant to be inserted into the Cable Housing End to Secure it should get lost ...or if you discover that it is missing:

TRAILBLAZERSHIFTERCABLE.jpg

The OTHER possible problem could be that the Park Neutral Switch Body is LOOSE and NOT properly adjusted where the Two PNS Hold Down Bolts (Circled in RED in the Images Above AND Below) are located. When both bolts are loose... they allow for around 1/2" of Rotational Play and should be Re-Tightened after the PNS gets properly positioned.

It is imperative to locate the "Sweet Spot" within that narrow distance that the Black Plastic Body of the PNS is allowed to slightly rotate around its Point of Axis (See Red Arrow) just right so that eventually... the Position of the Shifter Handle in the Cab... aligns correctly with the Position of the PRND123 Lever on the 4L60E Transmission... and the Internal Steel Cable is TAUT.

Again... The Two Fasteners holding down the Oval Openings must be Re-Tightened afterwards to properly secure the PNS in place.

TRAILBLAZERPNS.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: ll6 and gmcman

ll6

Original poster
Sep 26, 2020
Oregon
Welcome to GMT Nation...

The most important thing to understand about the Trailblazer Shifter Mechanism is the relationship between the Internal Steel Cable and its Outer Black Cable Housing:

It is possible to have the Cable properly set into the Shifter Handle Housing near the Center Console... AND have the Other End of the Cable properly connected into the 4L60E Transmission PRND123 Lever Arm via the Nylon Grommet and STILL have the Sensation of the Shifter Movement Feeling LOOSE if the Cable Housing End is NOT Properly Set into and held by the Cable Housing Bracket (Circled in BLUE in the Diagram).

It MUST be wedged into that Bracket tightly and held with Zip-Ties if needed, should the Factory Large "Staple" meant to be inserted into the Cable Housing End to Secure it should get lost ...or if you discover that it is missing:

View attachment 97346

The OTHER possible problem could be that the Park Neutral Switch Body is LOOSE and NOT properly adjusted where the Two PNS Hold Down Bolts (Circled in RED in the Images Above AND Below) are located. When both bolts are loose... they allow for around 1/2" of Rotational Play and should be Re-Tightened after the PNS gets properly positioned.

It is imperative to locate the "Sweet Spot" within that narrow distance that the Black Plastic Body of the PNS is allowed to slightly rotate around its Point of Axis (See Red Arrow) just right so that eventually... the Position of the Shifter Handle in the Cab... aligns correctly with the Position of the PRND123 Lever on the 4L60E Transmission... and the Internal Steel Cable is TAUT.

Again... The Two Fasteners holding down the Oval Openings must be Re-Tightened afterwards to properly secure the PNS in place.

View attachment 97347
Thank you so much for that information! I will check it this weekend!

Reactions: mrrsm

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
There is one other consideration that will not be evident from viewing the Park Neutral Switch Image above:

With the PNS installed on the Driver's Side of the 4L60E, the Two Electrical Harness Plugs (Green Arrows on the Attached Image) will naturally be installed. Their presence will obstruct access to the rear most of the Two Adjustment Bolts.

Whatever you do... Do NOT attempt to remove those Connectors as they were Hot Glued in at the GM factory during final assembly and will NOT come out unless a Heat Gun is used to soften that Special Adhesive. Any furtive efforts to pull them loose will cause Damage.

Instead... use an Open End Box End Wrench (13mm or 15mm) to work that hidden Fastener 'Snug Tight' while avoiding using TOO much tightening force as the threaded holes are into the Soft Aluminum Transmission Case and might get stripped out.

TRAILBLAZERPNS.jpg

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
javier perez

Members Online