Shift release button click?

Playsinsnow

Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
Not that this is a real concern right now, but quite irritating, when I push the shift release button with brake depressed I feel a real strong click in steering wheel/column that comes simultaneously when shift release button is in and ready to shift. Only happens in Park, ready to shift out. Is this something I should be concerned with? How do I get it to go away?

I just noticed the click in steering wheel is stronger when button goes in, and a little softer coming out. Wtf is it?! First time I've ever felt it. Not cool.

AtlWrk

Dec 6, 2011
Ignition lock solenoid. Prevents you from removing the key from the ignition if the car is in gear.

This is normal.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
We don't have a steering wheel anti-theft lock that stops the wheel from turning, although a lot of new owners assume they had one and try to troubleshoot its failure. We *do* have a solenoid in there that prevents you from turning the key all the way to OFF and removing it, unless you're in PARK. This has the side effect of keeping the key in the cylinder if you have it turned on for the radio and the battery runs down. You have to charge the battery to get the key out.

The solenoid in the console on the shift lever is to make sure you're stepping on the brake before you can start the engine in PARK.

I think this is normal behavior, except the noise might respond to some lubrication.

Playsinsnow

Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
Sweet. I'm aware of the no steering lock but this click is hard and Im sure passengers with better hearing than me (everyone) will hear it too. Now for the next question... where should I lube? I've decided I don't like it and want it gone.

Thanks for the replies. Can't stress that enough:yes:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest