Shift issues

njs

Original poster
Dec 14, 2013
Appreciate any thoughts / advice on the issues I been having with my '02 Trailblazer...

A few weeks ago I noticed it would occasionally not up-shift from 2 to 3 normally under modest to heavy acceleration i.e. it would stay in 2 and rev above 4000 RPM until I would actually let up on the gas for a sec. It seems to only do this when cold and it only happened occasionally at first but now happens very predictably every morning.

The other odd thing I noticed at least once was with the cruise set at 45 or 50 it decided to down-shift (from 4 to 3, IIRC) on just a very slight incline. I only noticed this once and am not sure if it is related but it seemed very unusual.

I checked the fluid level and color look okay. I have ~153k miles and the transmission was rebuilt (cooler line broke on freeway and it burnt up) at about 50k IIRC and the next change after that was at about 125k when I dropped the pan myself.

Thanks in advance!

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Not much to say that hasn't been discussed in other tranny threads. Defnitely get the professionals to look at it if you trust that rebuild shop. You might benefit from a shift kit/vette servo install. Not sure if there's a how-to here, but our sister site ORTB has a nice one.
offroadTB.com - View topic - Shift kit install

njs

Original poster
Dec 14, 2013
The_Roadie said:
Not much to say that hasn't been discussed in other tranny threads. Defnitely get the professionals to look at it if you trust that rebuild shop. You might benefit from a shift kit/vette servo install. Not sure if there's a how-to here, but our sister site ORTB has a nice one.
offroadTB.com - View topic - Shift kit install

Thanks for the link. Had not seen that one, but that was why I was asking... to see if it might be worth changing solenoids and wear parts in the valve body (which seems relatively low risk and inexpensive except for my time) before I take it to a shop as, unfortunately, I do not currently have a shop I trust.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jesussaves

Members Online