Shaved my tail gate. Pics.

ih8bumps

Original poster
Jan 27, 2012
I finally put my gate on... Over the winter I shaved a spare gate we had sitting around the shop. What a pain in the ass it was. but, I think it was worth it...
Lemme know whatcha think.

Attachments

• IMAG0377.jpg
    IMAG0377.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 43
  • IMAG0376.jpg
    IMAG0376.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 38

Foz

Dec 4, 2011
Wow that looks totally badass :salivate: ...very clean, great job on it...can u remove the window handle too or is it needed to open the window and get the tailgate open?

ih8bumps

Original poster
Jan 27, 2012
Thanks man, much appreciated. I spent a shit ton of time on it. I want too get rid of the handle on the glass, I just gotta find some half decent looking bolts or something to fill the holes, If you, or anyone have any ideas? please lemme know... I origally wanted the solenoid to open the glass, then i could of reached in and opened the gate from the inside, but I couldn't mount the solenoid anywhere to open the glass. So, I have it opening the gate, I still have to get a door popper put in... I just got it pinstriped the other day too, to kinda break it up a little.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
jbones said:
Voymon, look at this nice TB.:raspberry:

:raspberry:

But to stay on topic....I like the look! I thought about doing the same, along with shaving my door handles on all 4 doors.

Foz

Dec 4, 2011
photobucket-16706-1337213077570.jpg

i think i used 2 5/16" x 3/4" Bolts 2 5/16" Nuts 2 5/16" Neoprene Washers
sanded down the bolt heads and spray painted black then clear coated them

ih8bumps

Original poster
Jan 27, 2012
Thanks man, I want to shave my doors too, but the price of the solenoids are crazy. I would prolly have more money tied up in the kits, then the actually body work...
Thanks for the pic, I'm gonna have to get rid of the handle on the glass, and get some bolts in there. cleans it up a lot.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Looks so clean. Nice work!! I agree the window handle delete would be a sweet move.

03TB93

Mar 25, 2012
dam thats sick as shit.. great job bro :cool:

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
im always a fan of the shaved gates, and have seen plenty.... looks good... but i always hate how everyone mounts the license plate... looks tacky compared to the nice shave job... but great job none the less.. :thumbsup:

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
Ummm, yeah... what Foz said. Man I too am so droolin' over that truck. But I sort of like it without pinstripe (though haven't seen it with). What color stripe? I think I'd only do dark red, dark blue or dark grey.

More pics are needed for a final determination.:cool:

TexazReece

Dec 4, 2011
I like the shaved look too. As for the license plate location I've seen some trucks with shaved tailgates but the plate has lil area cut out and kinda at an angle which I think looks Kool. Gotta find some pics of some, nice mod overall tho

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Well Done.

fr34kout

Jan 6, 2012
I like it, actually been thinking about doing this for a while I just have a lot of stuff that is higher priority at the moment lol. Still undecided if I just want to do the upper area with the wiper arm and glass pop or the whole rear. Any chance you could get me some close up pics of the license plate area? I have my safety check and recon stickers right on the tow hitch area and I want to know if I'll be able to mount my license plate like this and still have the stickers show.

Bub

Nov 21, 2011
IMHO, it looks very plain and unappealing however hats off to you on that body work, the pics alone show that you took your time and didn't rush through and leave it all wavy good job. I do think the door handles will look good when you get those done

fr34kout

Jan 6, 2012
Bub said:
IMHO, it looks very plain and unappealing however hats off to you on that body work, the pics alone show that you took your time and didn't rush through and leave it all wavy good job. I do think the door handles will look good when you get those done

That's kind of what I'm on the fence about. I'm sure it looks awesome in person, but just seeing pics it looks so plain which is making me want to only shave the top section and leave the middle section with the license plate there. Would retain the factory look while cleaning up the trunk.

Bub

Nov 21, 2011
fr34kout said:
That's kind of what I'm on the fence about. I'm sure it looks awesome in person, but just seeing pics it looks so plain which is making me want to only shave the top section and leave the middle section with the license plate there. Would retain the factory look while cleaning up the trunk.

I think if the op would've recessed his plate on an angle in the corner of the gate like you would see on those aftermarket tailgates on pickups, that would be cooler to break it up a little bit, however let it be known I mean no dis respect let me reiterate, I can only imagine the amount of labor and effort went in to doing this and no corners were cut in this project and that i can appreciate

ih8bumps

Original poster
Jan 27, 2012
Thanks, for all the compliments. I agree with the licence plate being in the hitch, not really big on it... I was thinking about putting it in the bumper, somehow? maybe recessing it? not too sure yet? but, for now. The hitch will have to work. The pinstriping I have is a real dark grey, here are a few pics of the pinstriping, it was kinda hard to get the gate, but... I have two lines going down the side of the truck, aswell.

Attachments

• IMAG0317.jpg
    IMAG0317.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMAG0389.jpg
    IMAG0389.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMAG0387.jpg
    IMAG0387.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMAG0390.jpg
    IMAG0390.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 13

fr34kout

Jan 6, 2012
That pinstriping is a real nice subtle touch that would make people say "woah" when they finally noticed it lol. Gotta love dark graphics on black cars :thumbsup:

amweaver47

May 15, 2012
fr34kout said:
That pinstriping is a real nice subtle touch that would make people say "woah" when they finally noticed it lol. Gotta love dark graphics on black cars :thumbsup:

:iagree:

It's always cool when the closer you get the cooler the car gets. I'm a sucker for ghost flames too. As for the license plate, it would be sick to have one like they do on hot rods where it pops up or out when you start the car. Not sure where you would have that though. Truck looks great anyway! :thumbsup:

Edit:
license-plate-retractable.jpg

Something like this...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online