Shaky Engine

wink

Original poster
Nov 30, 2011
So my engine seems to be shaking the truck. After some searching and reading I gathered that the likely problem would either be motor mounts or the fan/water pump. I'm ruling out the mounts for 2 reasons. One, engine shakes in park, neutral, and drive. Two, mounts appear to be in good shape. So I check the water pump area and it seems a bit loose, also noticed that my fan seems to be warped.

water pump
[video=youtube_share;R9bIxUBw5QA]http://youtu.be/R9bIxUBw5QA[/video]

warped fan
[video=youtube_share;uJfqz3pvI_g]http://youtu.be/uJfqz3pvI_g[/video]

Second opinions?

DJones

Jan 21, 2012
St. Petersburg, Florida
That shaking is not normal. I would definitely change the water pump now. I changed mine AFTER it had already separated into two pieces. It was a pain to take off the fan and pulley after that. I don't think it is the fan itself which is warped, but the water pump that is causing it to appear that way.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
I think you need to go with the water pump. I am kind of surprised that you don't have anything leaking out from that.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
I've seen pumps wobble more and not leak. I have no idea how they manage that.

MichEnvoyGuy

Dec 3, 2011
:eek:

If you think it has play in it now wait until you take the serp belt off! That is definitely a bad water pump. Although when mine went bad I noticed no vibrations at all or any symptoms of a shaky engine, mine just made a lot of noise.

wink

Original poster
Nov 30, 2011
No leaking, one of the reason for wanting the second opinion. Thanks guys.:thumbsup:

wink

Original poster
Nov 30, 2011
Stopped by the shop today to see what they had to say. They confirmed the play in the water pump and discovered some play in the fan clutch, neither was bad enough to shake the engine or replace yet. So what was causing the shaky engine....? Mud caked on the inside of the fan.:duh: Cleaned up the fan, no more shaky.

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
wink said:
Stopped by the shop today to see what they had to say. They confirmed the play in the water pump and discovered some play in the fan clutch, neither was bad enough to shake the engine or replace yet. So what was causing the shaky engine....? Mud caked on the inside of the fan.:duh: Cleaned up the fan, no more shaky.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Nice! If there is play in the water pump, I would suggest replacing it sooner then later. I can tell you from experience that it really sucks when it gives up on you 300 miles from home and you have to replace it on the side of the interstate.

fadyasha

Dec 21, 2011
wink said:

:rotfl:! that's a relief. A note on the side when if the fan goes bad before the pump just change them both so you don't have to worry about it later :thumbsup:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online