Shaking in steering when going over bumps

Envoy10

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I feel some play around my feet when going over bumps, but I feel it in the steering column sometimes as well. I had both ball joints, hub assembly and an alignment done and it's still there. The truck veers to the right despite the alignment. I was told maybe the intermediate steering shaft needed looking at, but in searching I didn't find alot for mid size GM trucks, mostly the full size with this problem. I did have my rack replaced 9mos ago. Anyone come across this problem? I'm sure it can be a number of things. I don't think it would be tie rod ends, they would've told me when I got the alignment. I have a very long road trip this weekend so I'm kinda stressing over this atm. Help appreciated.

kickass audio

Aug 25, 2012
never rely on a tech to tell you of a problem. I have a guy down the street from me who passed my moms car for the state inspection with a rust hole starting in the frame and her brake lines rotting out.

Jack the front end up and wiggle the tires and look for play in the inner and outer tie-rod. It could be something with the rack but I'm thinking maybe it's the tie rods. Another thing to look at, when my outer tie rods were totally shot, I could have the truck on the ground and wiggle the wheel side to side like 1/4" before the wheels would start to show any movement. I did this with the engine off.

Reactions: littleblazer

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
When you say both ball joints, uppers and lowers on both sides right? Just making sure is all.

Reactions: kickass audio

Envoy10

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Both upper ball joints , driver side lower ball joint, hub assembly for both

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Wouldn't be bad to check that either. Jack up one side, get a pry bar under the tire and lift and look for movement. Mine only had a tiny amount play, barely noticable and it made my steering all over the place on the highway and over all bumps. Also grab the tires and move them around and look for movement in the control arms.

Reactions: kickass audio

Envoy10

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Wont have time to jack it up myself today. I have an appointment for tomorrow morning. My biggest concern is that I'm not going to be able to have the work done. I may need to chance it n just cruise where I'm going.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.