Severe Miss after driving through water - possibly plugged cat?

TequilaWarrior

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Central Pennsylvania
So, it rained like heck yesterday afternoon and I ended up screwing around a little too much in it. I drove through a little less than a foot of water without issue. I shut the car off after getting back to the office and went inside - at this point the car had been running fine as usual. Less than 2 hours later I got back in the car and when I started it it had the worst "miss" I have ever experienced. Due to the amount of rain, I guessed that I had some water under a coil, but absolutely had to get home - so I drove it the 40 miles to my house, missing the whole way. Power was virtually non-existent and I struggled to keep the car up to 65mph. Pulling into my garage my car sounded like a steam locomotive - with a repetitive hiss coming from below. I pulled all the coils and found no water. I found some oil in one plug galley, but nothing major. I cleaned and reinstalled the plugs and coils without regard to locations. On the trip home I was able to pull code p0300 random misfire. After cleaning & reinstalling coils & plugs I had no code - but still a horrible miss with the repetitive hiss. I had a meeting I needed to get to and on the return trip I was able to pull a code p0305 random misfire on cylinder 5. I haven't pulled #5 again, yet. I'm basically convinced at this point that somehow the cat is plugged. I tried for over an hour to remove the upstream O2 sensor and only succeeded in rounding off its hex flats. Climbing under the car I found a "huffing" or "hissing" noise - much like a steam locomotive - blowing exhaust gasses out of a few different holes in the bottom of the muffler with some force to it. There is exhaust - without a strong particular odor but very humid - blowing out the tailpipe. At this time I'm now convinced the cat is plugged but have no easy way to test it. It's possible something has plugged the muffler (perhaps the matrix in the cat disintegrated?). Some brief internet searches hinted at "thermal shock" (heat quench) being a potential cause for instantaneous catalytic converter failure. I guess it's possible water rapidly cooled the cat and shot it in the butt - and possible had the stuffing blow further down the pipe and plugged the muffler. I'm now not sure what to do to troubleshoot and potentially fix it.
I'm looking for input. Is there a simple step I can take to rule out the cat? I'm almost ready to sawzall the pipe between the cat & muffler to rule out the muffler and then sawzall the pipe before the cat to rule out the cat if the muffler isn't the culprit. I don't ~want~ to do that if I don't have to. For background - I had some patchwork done to exhaust and some pipe was welded in to replace some rusted/holey pipe between the cat & muffler a couple years ago - unbolting is not an option. I'm also 100% sure I won't be able to unbolt the downpipe from the manifold without some serious help. ~If~ it's the cat, I'm willing to have my guy weld in a universal replacement and a new muffler - but I don't want to send it over to him until I know what's wrong.
Any thoughts?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You have to fix your miss first. A plugged cat won't cause that but can be the result of the miss. Swap the coils and clear the codes to see if the miss follows. You should get a Bluetooth OBD adapter and Torque to monitor the misses and other data. You can also use an infra-red thermometer gun to check temps before and after the cat to see if it's working but that might not tell you if it's partially plugged. If you can, try to get that upstream O2 sensor out to see if things improve. A 22mm socket it a little tighter than a 7/8 sensor tool.

Reactions: Redbeard

TequilaWarrior

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Central Pennsylvania
So I called my exhaust guy... he closed his shop but now merged with another one. Spoke with him and he suggested essentially the same thing @Mooseman did. So, I swapped coils around and got it narrowed down to a single coil. I'll replace it this afternoon and see what happens with the other symptoms.

@Mooseman - The hex is pretty well gone. I need to replace the whole exhaust manifold, I just didn't want to do it yet. With this latest bit of shenanigans I'm really tempted to install the later model manifold - the one without the O2 bung, and have my exhaust guy fab up the rest with an O2 bung in the pipe and a new universal cat and new muffler.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Your exhaust guy should be able to get it out with oxy torches. Just needs a lot.of heat on the manifold.

TequilaWarrior

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Central Pennsylvania
Fixed. It was the coil. I found a brand I'd never heard of at a local "mom & pop" kind of store. I bought the only one they had and it appears to be excellent quality. It was like flipping a switch when I plugged it in. I'll be looking for more of them online to see about replacing the other 5 with this brand, I'm that happy. I'll post unboxing pics when I get a chance.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Glad it was a relatively simple fix.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnnnyj

Members Online