NEED HELP several codes and strange behavior

mister zimm

Original poster
Jul 29, 2019
as a background my trailblazer has 240,000 miles on it .a couple months back ,went to pass someone and as went around him ,the waterpump blew up.didnt know what happened at the time but was close enough to home to get back before engine got hot.replaced water pump.then engine was sluggish and a/c not working right with 0480 code.replaced fan clutch .then replaced crankshaft sending unit and then camshaft sensor.now this last week its been sluggish and stalling at idle.i also get what feels like a misfire and the suv feels like i have a bad tire with a shimmy.it isnt constant so its not that.
pulled codes this evening.
p1133
p0171
p0172
p0480
p0014
also i have slowly been changing coils one at a time but no codes came up for that,but it sure feels like thats a problem too
i havent checked the fan by grabbing it,but if the a/c isnt on it doesnt stall .so i think its working
thanks zimm

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Welcome to GMT Nation...

Let's Take these issues in the Order of your List:

P1133 -Failing Bad Oxygen Sensor:

The One in question here is the Upstream Sensor that determines excess O2 Molecules right in the Middle area of the Collection Exhaust Runners in the Exhaust Manifold. If yours has failed... it can neither accurately know how much additional Oxygen is present nor alert the PCM to Add More Fuel as required to perfect the "Stoichiometric Perfection" it strives for by achieving an A/F ratio of 14.7:1. It will need to be Changed Out with a Reliable OEM Quality O2 Sensor.

P0171- Lean Air Conditions caused by TOO MUCH AIR getting to the O2 Sensor:

These Lean Conditions ordinarily indicate problems well ahead of the O2 Sensor... Such as Vacuum Leaks around the Intake Manifold, a Dirty MAF Sensor and Filthy Air Filter... but perhaps NOT in this case... and that leads us to its OPPOSITE condition next...

P0172 Rich Fuel Conditions:

If the PCM is receiving Bad Signals from a failing O2 Sensor that there is a Lean Condition... it will Incorrectly attempt to ADD FUEL to compensate. Consequently...you will have two Diametrically Opposite Code Conditions of either Too Much Air or Too Little Fuel being at Odds with each other. Again... the Upstream O2 Sensor is the Likely Instigator of these "See-Saw" A/F Imbalance Problems.

P0480 Fan Clutch Issues:

This could be a Phantom Code relating to Excessive Engine Overheating...but again... with the sketchy Upstream O2 Sensor Playing Havoc with the A/F Ratios... certain cylinders may get hotter and trigger a response that might go away once a Bosch or other High Quality O2 Sensor gets swapped into the Exhaust Manifold O2 Bung Port.

P0014 CPAS (Camshaft Phaser Actuator Solenoid):

Here again, this could be just a standalone problem with the CPAS having an Oil Leak at the Connector and Badly Clogged Screens due to Irregular Oil and Oil Filter Changes (Dirty Oil will FUBAR this Solenoid inside)... however since the PCM is confused by a Failing O2 Sensor... this could be yet another anomaly that may subside once the PCM and the O2 Sensor situation gets squared away. You can R&R this Solenoid and Clean it as long as it is NOT covered in Motor Oil and replace it with an OEM Delphi version if possible.

Visit Amazon and Look These Tools Up...You are going to need them BOTH:

O2SENSORTOOLS.jpg

After you change out the Upstream O2 Sensor... Clear The Codes and drive it around for a while to clean out the vestiges of un-burned Fuel. If any of the Codes return...you can come back and we can look the problems over and figure out what's what. And that reminds me:

When was the Last time you performed an Engine Oil Flush Treatment using (6) Quarts of Cheap Organic Motor Oil and a Cheap Oil Filter along with (1) Quart of Transmission Fluid to run in that Motor for ONLY (5) Minutes at Idle...with NO REVVING?

You might want to do that if the CPAS P0014 issue becomes a problem by itself...and then ....RIGHT AWAY...after Draining out that Flush Treatment Oil and Changing the Cheap Oil Filter... Use (7) Quarts of ONLY Mobil1 5W-30 Motor Oil and A Good Quality Oil Filter like Mobil1 or K&N to give that Old Motor of your a decent "Blood Transfusion... Hmmm? :>)

Last edited:
Reactions: Redbeard and gmcman

mister zimm

Original poster
Jul 29, 2019
i had just changed oil also,think i used penzoil .is mobil 1 synthetic?.never heard of flushing motor,so thats never been done.got it with 50000 ,and almost put 200,000 more.
thanks for the tip,i havent changed those sensors out will try this weekend

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timmerk

Members Online