Setting up VCx/MDI/Tech2win

Dr.Fiero

Original poster
Dec 7, 2017
S. Alberta
I found this very good description of getting things setup and running, and thought I should share.
I make no claim of writing it! Just re-formatted for easier reading. :smile:
--------------------
Before you begin, make sure you do NOT have the VXDiag hardware you bought from ******* connected to the computer!

1) Install the VM software “VMware-player”. Accept all the defaults. Be patient and let it finish. If it asks to reboot, do it. Also, never open the VMWare program itself. This is just installed with an image file that the other software accesses behind the scenes. All of the software you install will be installed on your normal Windows PC, NOT in the VMWare instance.

2) Install the VX software “VX Manager” (the VX software is for the diagnostic connector that connects to the car, and takes the place of GM's MDI). You may get an error about a missing “MDI driver”. That’s fine. Just ignore it. Again, be patient and let it completely finish the install.

3) Install Tech2Win. It is located in the “Tech2Win” folder and named “AutoInstall”. Again, be PATIENT. Let it finish. (This also installs the GM MDI driver for you)

4) Connect the USB cable to your PC and the VXDiag hardware you bought from Amazon. Now wait for it to find and auto install the driver for it. It will scan windows update, and for me this part of the install took almost 45 minutes for whatever reason. You can’t move to step 5 until this is completed.

5) BEFORE you open the Tech2Win program you just installed, you must first open and run the VX Manger software with the VXDiag hardware connected to the USB, so the VX manager recognizes it (if you do not do this FIRST, the Tech2 program will not be able to locate the interface in the next step, and will display "no communication".) The VX Manager software will open and say it is connected. If this doesn’t happen, you made a mistake in the previous steps.

6) With the VX Manager still running, open the Tech2Win application you installed, it will automatically open via a virtual machine on your computer passively, there is nothing you need to do with the VM software (this is also why you can use the software on a 64 bit computer).

7) Once the Tech2Win application opens it will ask you to “please choose an option”. Make sure the radio button next to “start” is selected, and below that click the corresponding button for your car make/model (for my Pontiac I used “North American”).

8) At this point it will ask you to “Select Manufacturer”. I had 2 options. Choose the first one for the “GM MDI” (this is NOT an MDI2 connector). Then it will ask you to “Select the interface you want to use”, you should only have one option if you are connected via USB, so select the USB connection.

9) Now you can connect to the vehicle and begin polling data.

A couple of tips:
* Your car needs to be running for it to pull all of the data it needs.
* The 3rd digit of your vehicle’s VIN is the letter you want for your vehicle’s “product line”.
* If you have any issue with the Tech2Win software doing a connection timer count, or saying the CANdi module isn’t installed you chose the wrong options, or the VXDiag hardware isn’t properly connected to your car’s ODB2 port. You can also enable/disable CANdi emulation in the Tech2Win program under “options” on the main blue screen.

Reactions: Partagas150

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Moved to proper section.

Could you post a link to the original place you found this article? Otherwise, we may have to delete it as per the rules.

And would you have a link to the USB cable and/or hardware required? This does sound interesting as an option to a Tech 2.

Dr.Fiero

Original poster
Dec 7, 2017
S. Alberta
Reactions: Mooseman

jeb

Sep 16, 2018
Crossroads Texas
After playing for a month I went back yesterday and read that on amazon and applied it .
It worked and hope today will get a chance to try it , seems simply but so far only way I found
to get up and running, like I say have been trying a month all types of stuff, will see. jeb

jeb

Sep 16, 2018
Crossroads Texas
Hi, been doing other stuff, this is follow up. After installing vxdiag and playing with it I found it works but some stuff in reset would not allow me to do. Would get no communication, check hookup ignition on or off message. It was working Ok, would switch to different diagnosis and would work, so what I did was I opened VMware and installed winxp professional, then I installed tis2000 with crack I bought. Three disc program. Install disc 1, close program put disc 2 in cd drive, open tis2000 and let update. From third disc which is video on install and a supra file I copied supra file and paste on winxp desk top. The tis2000 lets winxp use usb connection. This is like a gm. mdi install with tis2000 crack. With this I was able to do more and it worked better, I reset bcm ,lgm, key flobs, radio , and checked lot of other things , still not done but it works better, JEB

Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
From Tis2000, were you able to use the Tech 2 emulator? If that's the case, then you can pretty much do everything that a Tech 2 itself can do.

jeb

Sep 16, 2018
Crossroads Texas
Yes the tis2000 with crack, lets everything come together. When tis2000 is configured it finds vxgiag nano instead of gm. mdi and as far as I can see works like tech2 maybe with a few programs less but most stuff is recognized. still working on key fob, program said I am programed but fob doesn't work, I think it maybe because truck has 12 disc cd changer and has conflict with rf modular set up. I 'll figure it out, everything else I have done with works. Jeb

jeb

Sep 16, 2018
Crossroads Texas
Maybe to make this more clear, I bought a 2003 trailblazer, LS model. I seen that it was electronically controlled so I bought the vxdiag nano Gm powered for gds2 $124.00 . And there are no instructions on how to setup. I bought a Dell e5500 laptop with win7 32 bit drive used ebay $70.00 , and I bought the tis2000 3 disc with crack $12.00. I cleaned the laptop so was just blank screen except trash bin. I setup vxdiag as above, it worked but some stuff it would not let me do. I guess that's where $40.00 comes in from gm so you can use this like gm mdi.
this vxdiag is for gm, It works from 1991 to 2015. as far as other vehicle manufactures go I don't know. I know they sell others but are stated for that typw vehicle, IE: ford , dodge Toyota so forth. As I said above I wasn't happy with the way it ran, so I open the VMware install winxp professional. tis2000 and copied the supra crack to desktop. I configured the tis2000 for j2534 vxdiag and supra, . Once everything was configured it worked real good. Nice thing about the tis2000 is once installed there's a tab on top that lets you connect to usb outside of VMware, That's were everything comes together. I'm new at this and thinking about it , it works like a tech2 on gm or close to it. someone else may have different experience. This was the easy way for me to hook it up and have it work. besides from up above I can open , close windows, lock unlock doors, run rear wiper, check door modules, so forth transmission servos, I haven't really began to play with it. jeb

jeb

Sep 16, 2018
Crossroads Texas
Another thought I remember is my laptop it's win7 professional. 32 bit, I studied up before buying and tried to keep things 32 bit. also kept the wifi internet if have to get gm $40.00 program but crack seems to work ok. Also the vxdiag uses the tech2 screen, also tells you whether to turn ignition on or off, or turn a component on or off, just a matter of understanding tech2 instructions. jeb

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You should be able to update modules using tis2000 up to 2007. Beyond that, that's when you need an ACDelco SPS $40 subscription.

Nice work!

Reactions: m.mcmillen

jeb

Sep 16, 2018
Crossroads Texas
Thanks Mooseman, Plan to keep trailblazer long time, with obd2 and this helps me a lot, use only person use, not in it to do repair work for pay. Another thing I thought about is turn off sleep mode in win7, never can tell you,do not want laptop going to sleep while programming a component . I spent a lot of time getting this going and hope this helps someone. jeb

GENMOTMAN

Jun 3, 2019
Florida
Absolutely amazing! Got this VXDiag VCX Nano and it puts the Tech2 I bought to shame. Now I have to get on with the learning curve! This bugger is so cool!

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Great Solution... Now if it turns out that you would like to Sell Your Complete TECH 2 KIT Here at a reasonable price... By indulging the For Sale Sub-Forum here at GMTN.... I'd ' Bet a Brace of Gutenberg Bibles' that you'll have little trouble finding very interested Buyers... ;>)

Reactions: GENMOTMAN

Dr.Fiero

Original poster
Dec 7, 2017
S. Alberta
(apparently I hit save before completing my sentence!)

"It supports bi-directional" controls just like the Tech-II I take it.
(is what I started to say! Oops)

GENMOTMAN

Jun 3, 2019
Florida
Great Solution... Now if it turns out that you would like to Sell Your Complete TECH 2 KIT Here at a reasonable price... By indulging the For Sale Sub-Forum here at GMTN.... I'd ' Bet a Brace of Gutenberg Bibles' that you'll have little trouble finding very interested Buyers... ;>)

LOL! Good to know. I've only had it for 10 days. I havent even attached the stickers that came with it. I'll first attempt to send it back to China and work with the retailer, (see how far that'll get me).

I wont miss those long fat cables, a big plastic box with a screen and clunky software. Don't get me wrong, I love old tech. But it just didn't play well with my computers. The VXDiag VCX Nano has yet to give me any issues.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Well... Trust me when I say that the suggestion is more than my being the least bit cavalier about other people really wanting to buy their Own Tech 2 Stateside ...and perhaps many GMTN Members may chime in if you DO offer yours For Sale as there are MANY various Tech 2 Post Contributors and Thread Followers who maintain a steady interest and a real desire to get their hands on one that is "unencumbered" by the Absurd Trade Wars we are presently embroiled in that has the U.S. Customs seizing 'Questionable' Products from China that can become entangled in Legal Issues.

Your offer ...if you choose to make it... would draw a Hell of a Lot More Attention from the GMTN Membership than you might imagine. I'm not suggesting that the "GYMKO" (General Motors Knock Off) Tech 2 Clones are better than your latest choice ... But they have real value and utility to many in the Forum who are fearful of having their New Tech 2 Purchases siezed upon arrival in the United States. And besides... This action would certainly help to off-set your latest expense of having to buy the other Unit. So Please... Think of them First... if you decide to get serious about selling.

Last edited:
  • Haha

GENMOTMAN

Jun 3, 2019
Florida
Well... Trust me when I say that the suggestion is more than my being the least cavalier about other people really wanting to buy their Own Tech 2 Stateside ...and perhaps many GMTN Members may chime in if you DO offer yours For Sale as there are MANY various Tech 2 Contributors and Thread Followers who maintain a steady interest and a real desire to get their hands on one that is "unencumbered" by the Absurd Trade Wars we are presently embroiled in that has the U.S. Customs seizing 'Questionable' Products from China that can become entangled in Legal Issues

Your offer ...if you choose to make it... would draw a Hell of a Lot More Attention from the GMTN Membership than you might imagine. I'm not suggesting that the "GYMKO" (General Motors Knock Off) Tech 2 Clones are better than your latest choice ... But they have real value and utility to many in the Forum who are fearful of having their New Tech 2 Purchases siezed upon arrival in the Unted States. And besides... This action would certainly help to off-set your latest expense of having to buy the other Unit. So Please... Think of them First... if you decide to get serious about selling.

I like the way you think brother. Funny how the last things that come to mind are the ones that are right smack in front of your face. Never thought to imagine how a simple minor purchase is right in the cross-hairs of current news events. I'm a Libertarian by nature. And I believe that occasionally Big Brother will always rear his ugly head when one least expects it.

I'm conflicted by doing the righteous American duty, or the expected Capitalistic instinct, (which by it's very nature is truly American...LOL). I will keep you posted. BTW, did I mention that I really like this Nano? (Also 100% made in China....for crying out loud should we start to surrender)?

• Haha
Reactions: mrrsm

GENMOTMAN

Jun 3, 2019
Florida
That's very cool. I just learned that the NANO is a clone of the MDI. I e-mailed them and they sent me a video on how to get it to work with SPS online. Worked like a charm. Also, there's this Corvette forum that has an awesome write up on the TECH2 clones. Problem I had with mine and SPS was discussed over at that forum, and as the poster wrote its really a matter of the ACDelcoTDS required divers one has to install prior to using online SPS. They wont work with the Tech2 clones. One has to avoid installing them and some other Java stuff that will not work with the Tech2 clones. This was probably done purposely, (and just as I suspected). In any case, the NANO is so much faster than the Tech2 and ergonomically convenient and does not have that issue.

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Also, there's this Corvette forum that has an awesome write up on the TECH2 clones. Problem I had with mine and SPS was discussed over at that forum, and as the poster wrote its really a matter of the ACDelcoTDS required divers one has to install prior to using online SPS. They wont work with the Tech2 clones. One has to avoid installing them and some other Java stuff that will not work with the Tech2 clones.

Funny, I had no issues with using SPS with my Tech 2 clone on my Caprice. Reprogrammed several modules in fact. I know in SPS they mention to not update Java and to just use the older one they posted. Also mentions to use IE as the browser. I was even using an older Celeron laptop running Win10 Home even though they recommend Enterprise level hardware with Core I3+.

Do you have a link to that forum post/thread?

GENMOTMAN

Jun 3, 2019
Florida
I guess it's differant with every clone? On the link, check out post #5 ...."pop up window that asks you to install MDI and tech II drivers, don't install them, but press skip instead (skip every time you load the program, since these will not work with the clone tech II). "

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
This is the Official "Bosch" "How to Set Up the Mastertech with Tech2Win" Instructional Video that may have some more useful tips in the general sense for other similar Clones:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I installed only the Tech 2 drivers since I don't have an MDI. Maybe that's the difference? Could also be different factories where these are built. I guess I got one of the better ones.

GENMOTMAN

Jun 3, 2019
Florida
Well at least the Nano works for me....

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I would suggest you start a separate thread. Don't even know what vehicle you're working on, or if it's even a truck. Even if it's not a truck, we can still try to help but would have to be in the off-topic.

GENMOTMAN

Jun 3, 2019
Florida
Yeah I posted my issue on the wrong thread. Removed...

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
The VXDIAGSHOP is running a 25% OFF Sale on this VX NANO - VXDIAG Part # VXNANO-PU160 USB Kit for $89.00:

Another source for the VXNANO-VXDIAG Set Up Files and Drivers, Please Visit:

www.allscanner.com

Here are the "Un-Boxing Images" of the VX NANO - VXDIAG Part # VXNANO-PU160 USB Kit:

VXNANOVXDIAG1.jpgVXNANOVXDIAG2.jpgVXNANOVXDIAG3.jpgVXNANOVXDIAG4.jpgVXNANOVXDIAG5.jpgVXNANOVXDIAG6.jpgVXNANOVXDIAG7.jpgVXNANOVXDIAG8.jpgVXNANOVXDIAG9.jpgVXNANOVXDIAG10.jpgVXNANOVXDIAG11.jpgVXNANOVXDIAG12.jpgVXNANOVXDIAG14.jpgVXNANOVXDIAG15.jpgVXNANOVXDIAG16.jpg

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Nope... That was my Stove Light Reflection... The plug is made of Stainless Steel... It is Blemish Free and Brand Spanking New...

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
In a related VXDIAG-VXNANO subject...

If you are using an Earlier Version of the Tech2Win PCMCIA card Emulation Software for the TIS2000 Version 33.004 and manage to download that particular "Last in the Long Line" of GM NAO .bin Files… HERE are the Text and Video Instructions for How to extract (if found in a Zipped File) and then replace and install the BEST .bin File right into the Tech2Win software on a Windows Laptop:

http://blog.vxdiagshop.com/2019/10/24/install-gm-tech2win-bin-file/

This is the Visual Version of those Instructions:

Be Careful what you Download for .bin Files ...as there are a LOT of unproven, specious variants laying around online. Make certain that you are using the correct one... before making any updates or changes in your original set up. Please note that there are also quite a few variants of the VXDIAG Manager which is a Windows Executable in both Early and more contemporary flavors that also peppers the Internet for these VXNANO Devices from various Chinese On-Line Vendors. This one comes from the Vendor who created the Video you just watched:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
@MRRSM have you had a chance to play with your new toy yet? Inquiring minds wanna know. Are you running a 32, or 64 bit OS? :undecided:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Thanks for the inquiry. Right now... my "Test Vehicle" (The Y2K Blue Silverado) has the Dashboard Top, the Front Dash Fascia and Glove Box all taken apart for swapping out all of the Blend Door Actuators and some other in-cab HVAC components. So it will be only after I can complete that work that I'll be able to test the VXDIAG-VXNANO Device hooked into my 32 Bit Windows 10 RCA Cambio 2 Tablet. I will not be using the ACDelco Subscription interface for SPS PASS-THRU activities if I don't have to as I'm just trying out this New NAN0 USB Device to see if it will behave in the like manner to my Tech 2 while using the Disc Loaded TIS2000 Software installed on the RCA Cambio Unit.

In the mean time, I also have a Dedicated Dell Precision M65 Laptop running the Legacy OEM 32 Bit Windows 2000 Pro SP-5 for use in testing this NANO device in a Bench Top setting on a P01 PCM from a Corvette that I recently cloned over into a DBOM (Dead Balls On Match) for the Y2K Silverado PCM in my Truck while experimenting with HP-Tuners.

Per your request, I'll set up all of that hardware over the next few days and Photo-Text Document trying to use JUST the features that will emulate the features meant for TIS2000 via the Tech2Win app and see if it can read the Last, Best Calibration I successfully loaded onto that Blank Corvette PCM using the VXDIAG-VXNANO USB device instead of the Bosch Vetronix "GYMKO" Tech 2.

I would like to emphasize that before going through all of the trouble and expense of dragging out any Legacy Laptop Computers with long dead and unreliable batteries discharged to failure levels, please consider checking out the Thread in which I documented How to get Windows 10 in the 32 Bit Version installed on a Tablet and allow the 16 Bit Application Installer in TIS2000 Bosch Software to function PERFECTLY:

Last edited:

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
The VXDIAGSHOP is running a 25% OFF Sale on this VX NANO - VXDIAG Part # VXNANO-PU160 USB Kit for $89.00:

Another source for the VXNANO-VXDIAG Set Up Files and Drivers, Please Visit:

www.allscanner.com

Here are the "Un-Boxing Images" of the VX NANO - VXDIAG Part # VXNANO-PU160 USB Kit:

View attachment 94875View attachment 94876View attachment 94877View attachment 94878View attachment 94879View attachment 94880View attachment 94881View attachment 94882View attachment 94883View attachment 94884View attachment 94885View attachment 94886View attachment 94887View attachment 94888View attachment 94889
When I click on that link, it shows it as the normal 100 bucks... Is there a coupon code or something?
Is this the one that does the TECH2 cloneing on any Laptop? I am wanting to install the program on a Win10 laptop.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
The date of the sale was on May 31st, 2020...and made no reference on that China Vendor Site as to how long that sale would last... and there was no coupon offered. If you search over on Amazon for the Domestic availability of this identical USB device... the price will vary between $110 and $120 ...which is a Bargain when compared to what the average cost of the Complete Tech 2 Clone Outfit will cost, along with all of the "Tariff Entanglements" that accompany such a purchase.

From recent personal experience, the Tech2Win Software for the VXDIAG-VXNANO in the 32 Bit Version of the Windows 10 Operating System installs seamlessly on the RCA Cambio 2 Tablet. I used a Rioddas External USB DVD-RW to read the NANO GM Installation Disc included with the USB NANO Device.

However, when I tried using the same GM Install Disk on my Dell Precision M65 Work Station Laptop fitted with the Windows 2000 Professional OS, the Tech2Win Software Installation Failed to Recognize the MSI version and would NOT allow the SW Install to work. I'll be testing out the same Dell Laptop with Windows 7 shortly and will advise on whether or not it works within the week.

In the mean time, others with experience using Tech2Win installed of other Windows 10 64 Bit Systems on Laptops or Desk Top Computers via their ACDelco Tech2Win Subscriptions will need to chime in to advise you about what works for them... or not... with that configuration. Your ambiguous question about "TECH2 Cloning" needs more clarification about what you mean by that expression.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Yeah I noticed that $89 sale price only lasted for a short time before it bumped up $10. The reason I was asking about your OS, was this part of the OP's post. Cuz this would make things much easier to deal with.

6) With the VX Manager still running, open the Tech2Win application you installed, it will automatically open via a virtual machine on your computer passively, there is nothing you need to do with the VM software (this is also why you can use the software on a 64 bit computer).

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
In the mean time, others with experience using Tech2Win installed of other Windows 10 64 Bit Systems on Laptops or Desk Top Computers via their ACDelco Tech2Win Subscriptions will need to chime in to advise you about what works for them... or not... with that configuration. Your ambiguous question about "TECH2 Cloning" needs more clarification about what you mean by that expression.
Sorry about my misuse of words there. I think I am meaning Tech2 Emulator. Where is looks, and acts, like a Tech2, except on a laptop screen. This will be a whole new experience for me, as I have only had experience with cheaper, and more generalized, OBD scanners, not a Auto Manufacture specific model. In other words, whole bunch of questions probably coming once I get it bought and installed. I am hoping to install it on my HP Pavilion DV6 with Windows 10 (dont know if its 32 or 64 bit). But worst case scenario, I cruise Craigslist until I find some XP machine or something, or even a tablet like the previous poster did.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
I have yet to try out anything other than the 32 Bit versions of Windows so far. So we should be counting on others who may have already taken the plunge with getting this USB Tech 2 Emulation Device installed to advise on the Windows 64 Bit issues they may have encountered (if any).

@Blckshdw Surprisingly... What the OP described in Part (6) of that Post proved itself to be true in a very unsual manner. I just managed to install the Tech2Win Software directly from the GM Installation CD onto Dell M4700 Work Station running on the 64 Bit Linux Mint 19.3 Operating System via the LINUX WINE (Windows Is NOT an Emulator) Application. Even though it 'cooked' along under its own steam from the autoexec.bat on DVD Drive for almost 45 Minutes... it finally went in correctly and worked as soon as the 'Installation Complete' message came up.

By comparison, I'm not yet certain that it will run as well as it should on any of the Native Windows Operating Systems. First, I'll need to try and thrash it out in many ways "On The Bench". For any concerned Linux Users, I'll report all of the findings when the time comes. I'm actually amazed that it behaves like it is running on Windows. The Tech2Win Interface and the Desktop App Launch Icons are likewise identical with those on the Windows Desktop.

@TollKeeper ... To assist you with navigating the Tech 2 Keypad and Choices of Sub-Areas of the Tech 2 Device when trying to work through the difficulties of "Which Keys and In What Sequence Should they be Entered?" Please Download this TECH2PATHS Instructional PDF. It will become your "Bible" for dealing with practically every type and circumstance of Diagnostic variations you might encounter.

NOTE: This is NOT a Resource that I created... The Credit belongs to another GMT Nation Member @GENMOTMAN and can be found in other Tech 2 Threads in the Sub-Forum:

Attachments

• TECH2 Paths.pdf
    490.2 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher