Seth's 2005 9-7x Build

therealsethallen

Original poster
Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
Scored myself a Flowaster Super 40 for free. It's a 3" Center-In/Offset-Out. It's been on a 5.3 Yukon XL for god knows how long now, so I sanded it up and hit it with some high heat paint for good measure. Nice thing is it'll be broken in already.

Think I might do a Vibrant Resonator and a new dual tip, something a little nicer than the 9-7x's round welded on dohickey.

Flowmaster.jpg

Last edited:

therealsethallen

Original poster
Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
IMG_0193.JPG.jpeg

Stickers updated. Yes, I do have a Magnaflow (currently) Yes, I have a K&N, Yes, there are Red Line fluids in this truck. No, there are not Rancho shocks but they're on the list.

therealsethallen

Original poster
Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
Last night. Three failed coils. Of course they were aftermarket ones that the original owner of the 9-7x must have had installed.

Failed Plugs.jpg

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Aftermarket or not, three at the same time is very unusual. Must of ran like crap.

I had an aftermarket one die on me after my engine swap. Good thing I kept all the old original ones so lots of spares.

therealsethallen

Original poster
Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
@Mooseman It really boggles my mind that three decided to fail all at the same time. Fourunately, I was less than a mile from home and it was mostly coasting, so the cat didn't suffer much. I originally just checked the connections and then the bolts on the coils to no avail. I'm going to test each of them to see which ones I can keep and which ones I should junk.

Last edited:

therealsethallen

Original poster
Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
Painted my new thermostat with black engine enamel today. Installing tomorrow. Also, got myself a new EXT shorty serpentine belt, since this truck has an EXT engine and alternator. IMG_0243.jpg

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It's not the engine or alternator that determines belt length but the power steering pump, which is different for the EXT. You need the regular belt.

therealsethallen

Original poster
Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
Removed the little "i" from the displacement badge on the back. The 92x and 97x were the only Saab vehicles to ever feature this, to match all my Saab owning friends, I changed that.

13282735_1770956776457015_1953597412_o.jpg

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You happen to know what the "i " stands for?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Linear (later renamed 4.2i)
Arc (later renamed 5.3i)
Aero

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yeah but, the "i " specifically?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Same as the X probably. Just something to make it stand out.

therealsethallen

Original poster
Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
Well, I called a Saab dealership. (Yes, one exists). They claim one of two things, Naturally Aspirated or Fuel Injected. I'm almost positive that it's the first of the two. Since injection was the only thing being used by 2005, I'd presume the first.

Reactions: Jan-Åke_Klement

therealsethallen

Original poster
Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
Since my truck has a custom intake and is without the OEM Airbox, I've taken this sticker on it and adhered it to the front panel (where all my stickers live) I figured I might as well put on the GM Catalyst Info sticker.

Attachments

• IMG_0333.jpg
    IMG_0333.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 21

therealsethallen

Original poster
Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
It's been so long since I've updated this post, so here's an update.
I've been changing the oil every 3,000 miles like usual.
December. Upper and Lower Control Arms, and tires too.
January. Rear Shocks.
February. Lower Ball Joints, Replacing LEDs with better ones, fixing the sagging bumper again! Front struts.

Summer 2017. Towing a wheeling rig.

Reactions: 02gtp

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Are TB and 9-7x springs different?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Ah, I see. So a little lift then. V8 springs may have brought it up even more and EXT springs in the rear or I do know about the Z71 Tahoe springs.

therealsethallen

Original poster
Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
Update to my outdated-as hell thread. With the need for state inspection close. The Saablazer has had an airbag light on since the winter. I remedied that on Thursday with a new (to me) sensor, and Viola! No more light. In an effort to eliminate some rear end sway and vibrations, I purchased new shocks and struts all the way around. Monroe Quick Struts for the front, and Load-Adjusting in the rear.

Today I installed the rear shocks, and cleaned the hell out of the interior.
Sadly, the shocks have provided a little lift in the back so it's not as level as it was. After the new struts go in I'll be deciding if I need a front leveling kit or not.

New Rear Shocks.jpg
Front Rake.jpg

Reactions: Mooseman

Paul Bell

Aug 16, 2014
Drop that spare and make sure the hoist cable and mechanism is well lubed.

My spare looked rusted like that. When I needed it, the lug nuts kept crushing the rust and never got tight as they should. I swapped to an ebay aluminum wheel.

Reactions: Mooseman

therealsethallen

Original poster
Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
Spare cranked down about six months ago. Is sprayed liberally with Starrett M1 at each oil change. I have another spare wheel and tire for a TB that's in better shape that will replace it eventually.

therealsethallen

Original poster
Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
So, the Saablazer has met an end. Destroyed in an accident where a lost Seth decided to use a tree instead to save on pad wear.

Rest in Peace, Saablazer.

21362215_1996760413876649_659798546_o.jpg

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Oh damn.... another one bites the dust. I hope your doing okay. Seems like it got bent up pretty bad on that corner. I'd part it out before sending it to the dump. Your build thread shows you did alot of work and the parts could still be in good shape.

Reactions: RTTBLT1

therealsethallen

Original poster
Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
Oh damn.... another one bites the dust. I hope your doing okay. Seems like it got bent up pretty bad on that corner. I'd part it out before sending it to the dump. Your build thread shows you did alot of work and the parts could still be in good shape.

I'm going to salvage everything I can. My boss has a 2003 TB with similar miles. But I'm going to look for a 'Voy because that's what I wanted originally when I began to shop on this platform. I'm stuck between that and a 2006-08 Honda Pilot.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Ah man, that sucks big time. Too bad you aren't any closer because I have parts except the hood.

Grab the one good headlight and sell it on eBay. They're worth a couple bones. Taillights too. The one good fender too. Anything Saab specific is worth it because there aren't any replacement parts. If you have the passenger side window defroster grill, grab it because people seem to lose those a lot. Your boss might appreciate the center console lid. Much better than the TB one especially if his is busted.

therealsethallen

Original poster
Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
Have a 9-7x friend locally that wants the other light and my 4 rims. Don't have the defroster grill, and I think that truck does it.
The console lid isn't any different (to me) and my truck squeaks horribly from the console.
I'm going to have to get an aftermarket radio with a SiriusXM tuner, which annoys me a bit since I hate them so much and like the OE Radios. Might just take it to BestBuy and see what they can do. The good think on the TB is I have an identical parts truck with a 4.2 that threw a rod.
I like the TB less than the Voy but I love the platform and since mine had a bunch of new parts, and it's got a 3.73 rear axle. I figure I might salvage what I can from mine then send it.

Reactions: xavierny25

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Since I got the Android HU and installed Spotify, I haven't looked back. Much more functionality IMHO.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
There are non-specific OS types. They're cheaper too. Check AliExpress. Can stream itunes from the phone to the HU over A2DP. Has GPS, USB, etc. Still way better than anything the OEM has.

Reactions: xavierny25

therealsethallen

Original poster
Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
There are non-specific OS types. They're cheaper too. Check AliExpress. Can stream itunes from the phone to the HU over A2DP. Has GPS, USB, etc. Still way better than anything the OEM has.

I'm sticking with OEM/w XM. I like Satellite better than anything else.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online