Seth's 2005 9-7x Build

therealsethallen

Original poster
Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
So, after realizing I put the 9-7x build in the wrong spot. Here it is, in the right spot.

The Truck
2005 Saab 9-7x Linear
4.2 I6
AWD
3.73 Gears
Limited Slip Rear (G86)

The Suspension Mods
Trailblazer EXT Rear Coil Springs
Trailblazer EXT Front Struts and Springs
Total Lift of 1.5" Over 9-7x Stock

The Engine/Performance Mods

Custom CAI with Intake Resonator Delete
Magnaflow 11229 Muffler
Resonator Delete
Factory Exhaust Tip

The Lighting/Electrical Mods
Silverstar Bulbs
Quad Headlight Mod
LED Fogs, Reverse Lights, Plate Lights, Interior and Mirror Turn Signals
Cobra CB Radio
Kenwood 2-Meter Radio

The Future
Powdercoated Factory Saab Wheels
Gutted Cat
Tune by LimeSwap
End with G80 Locker
LED Low Beam Headlights
Factory Fog Assemblies with 3000k LEDs

The Pictutes

NYS Route 97 in Deerpark, New York
IMG_8581.JPGLow Rent Intake
Full Intake.jpg
Quad Beam headlights
Quad Headlights.jpg
Trashcan Delete
aHsI7vZ.jpg
Magnaflow 11229 2.5" Muffler
11823050_1680391658846861_2979176788458599053_o.jpg

Saab Cen-Comm
Saab Cen-Com.jpg

Exhaust Video. In a parking garage...this has been done.

Dyno Day Video!

Last edited:

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
I love my Magnaflow, in conjunction with my deleted cat, it sounds beastly :biggrin:

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
My cat is in bad shape. I'm seriously considering it. Was it super difficult?
No wasn't difficult, chopped it off, got rid of the honeycomb inside of the cat and then welded it back into place. Don't forget to do the o2 fouler trick though, so you won't get any codes that keep popping up .

Instrumental

Jan 29, 2012
How dos your suspension changes compare to factory? New shock/struts is on my short list, but I'm nervous about losing the factory tuning if I use a quick strut to do a complete changeover on the front.

therealsethallen

Original poster
Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
How dos your suspension changes compare to factory? New shock/struts is on my short list, but I'm nervous about losing the factory tuning if I use a quick strut to do a complete changeover on the front.

The handling hasn't changed. Not like I take the truck to the max all the time. I run Monroe Sensa Trac rear shocks and Monroe Quick struts in the front. There's slightly more body lean, but it's pretty minimal.

therealsethallen

Original poster
Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.

Thought a video explanation for this might be in order. I'm thinking about upgrading to HIDs. But I'm not sure yet. SilverStars seem to be great, but I'd like some more low beam oomph.

therealsethallen

Original poster
Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
Oh no way. I'm doing the anti-fouler gutted cat mod. Plus you linked for a Saab 9-3. Remember that the 9-7x is just a dressed up TB. My engine parts are identical.

I've said it once and I'll say it again. "The ice caps are melting, my one SUV without emission equipment won't make a huge difference"

Reactions: mrrsm

therealsethallen

Original poster
Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
I might have the cleanest cargo area ever. The box of fluids isn't usually there, I also don't condone running Walmart brand fluids in anything.

12633377_1723261964559830_1763962366_o.jpg

Reactions: dmanns67

Paul Bell

Aug 16, 2014
The Lighting/Electrical Mods
Silverstar Bulbs

The Future
EXT Rear End with G80 Locker

The Gallery

NYS Route 97 in Deerpark, New York

I thought these trucks came with actual HID headlighhts? I'd think (if yours did not) that HID's would be a better upgrade.

I think your truck has the 8 inch ring gear, the EXT/XL trucks have the 8.5" as well as all 5.3 trucks. Same housings.

I know Deerpark...

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The HID came in the V8 trucks only IIRC.

Reactions: Paul Bell

therealsethallen

Original poster
Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
I thought these trucks came with actual HID headlighhts? I'd think (if yours did not) that HID's would be a better upgrade.

I think your truck has the 8 inch ring gear, the EXT/XL trucks have the 8.5" as well as all 5.3 trucks. Same housings.

I know Deerpark...

I hate HIDs. I'd rather spend the money on good halogens. I don't like extra wires. It was an option on the 4.2i 9-7x and standard (with washers) on the 5.3i IIRC. My first 4.2i 9-7x had them, and I wasn't a huge fan. I prefer something I can replace with an $8 bulb from Walmart. My bulb of choice is PIAA Night Tech which put out a very nice light and are great downroad.

Rear end for the limited slip is the 8.6

Route 97 is excellent.

Reactions: Jan-Åke_Klement

therealsethallen

Original poster
Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
My neighbor is getting rid of his 2006 TB EXT and welcomed me to ANYTHING that fit it, as long as I replaced it with what came off my truck. Which includes this 220a alternator. I have a feeling that my old one was wearing out, as this one is much quieter at idle.

I did reinstall that A/C line engine lift bolt.

IMG_9010.JPG.jpeg

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Just be careful as some high amp alternators actually have a lower output at idle. Ask him how it works before committing.

therealsethallen

Original poster
Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
How are you liking the CAI? Did it make any difference in your car's fuel efficiency and horse power?

Power gain is minimal, there's a nice sound without the intake resonator above the engine, I'm probably going to go with a K&N eventually just for the astetic.

Just be careful as some high amp alternators actually have a lower output at idle. Ask him how it works before committing.

It idles at 150 he says. Which is the output of the stockers.

therealsethallen

Original poster
Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
Poor quality picture, but here's a comparision of Walmart cheapo LEDs and plain ole Sylvania basics from the parts desk at Advance. Let me tell you, the LEDs that they get you for at Walmart SUCK. Beyond suck. They're garbage. IMG_9167.JPG

Reactions: Jan-Åke_Klement

therealsethallen

Original poster
Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
I got bored today, did some cleaning up, and suspension checking. The Saablazer's rear sway bar bushings are rubbish, as are the links. Time for replacement! Ordered the Moog ones from Amazon today.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It's not the side to side movement that indicates wear in the bushing but up/down or roundy round. In other words, there is space between the bar and bushing. Links are bad if there is also up/down movement. You have to pry the bar up and down to see if it's worn to see movement between the stud and link inside the joint. Just moving it like you did might just mean it's well lubed.

therealsethallen

Original poster
Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
@Mooseman I did do that to check as well. The bushings are shot. There's noticeable space in between them and the bushings. I just ordered ACDelco Advantage end links as well as some Moog bushings.

Reactions: Mooseman

therealsethallen

Original poster
Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
With the engine blown up, and patiently waiting my turn for the trip to the shop. I cleaned the Saab's wheel center caps today. What a difference. I need to hit them once more with some cleaner to be totally done, but they look way better now.

I also noticed a small bit of rust accumulating on the bottom of the right rear door, which I plan to neutralize tomorrow.

yZD35bO.jpg

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Not trying to be an Alarmist here... but it looks like your Brake Disc is deeply scored in several lines behind that rim... symptomatic of Brake Pad to Disc Metal on Metal Wear....Maybe its just the angle of the sunshine... but ...What's going on there?

therealsethallen

Original poster
Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
Not trying to be an Alarmist here... but it looks like your Brake Disc is deeply scored in several lines behind that rim... symptomatic of Brake Pad to Disc Metal on Metal Wear....Maybe its just the angle of the sunshine... but ...What's going on there?

It's the light, the brakes are perfectly fine. In fact they're almost new.

therealsethallen

Original poster
Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
Engine teardown began today. Radiator, Fan Clutch and Shroud, Alternator, Battery, A/C System Discharge, Engine Lift Bracket, Coils, and Throttle Body.

Tomorrow the axles, rest of the front clip and the front differential, I actually think it may be ready to have it totally out tomorrow.

IMG_9731.jpg

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Seth... I know I shouldn't ask.. because we all know how difficult it is to stop and break your concentration when you are working away under the hood or under the vehicle... but every single Digital Image you can obtain for us and add to your story while doing this Epic R&R will always be appreciated for all time to come... and Brother...YOU will be a Legend for doing so!

therealsethallen

Original poster
Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
but every single Digital Image you can obtain for us and add to your story while doing this Epic R&R will always be appreciated for all time to come... and Brother...YOU will be a Legend for doing so!

I can most certainly do the best I can do. I make no promises since I won't be at the shop for the whole thing.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You can pull the diff with the engine. Much easier to get off after the engine is out. That's what I did.

Reactions: therealsethallen

therealsethallen

Original poster
Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
Today the axles came out. As did the intake manifold, all the stuff mounted to the side of the block. It should be out tonight, I left the shop early for an appointment, but it should be out by close of business today.

13072306_1758574121028614_1166510609_o.jpg

Reactions: Mooseman

therealsethallen

Original poster
Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
I finally snapped a picture of the "new" engine. It's an 83k Mile unit from a 2005 TB, and it's completely...complete. Shockingly so actually. This thing has got EVERYTHING. Alternator, Starter, Throttle Body, Fuel Rail, Serpentine Belt, Tensioner, Fan Clutch, All Sensors.

I never ordered the Alpine Green paint, and the only engine enamel I have is some Silver left over from when I owned the Volvo. So it'll almost be the same color as the 9-7x itself.

20160422_1406331.jpg

therealsethallen

Original poster
Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
This is the now very spotless throttle body from my donor engine. It has a very slight polish to it now thanks to some sandpaper and my absolute boredom. I don't expect much since it's not "properly ported" But it did give me an afternoon project.

Throttle Body Polished.jpg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online