Servo snap ring from hell

MBS1994

Original poster
May 26, 2019
Colorado
Hello I'm doing a vette servo and have literally been stuck on the freaking snap ring for hours I just can not get it the servo moves back plenty so I'm confident it's all in right. It's a tight space and once I get one side going on the snap ring the other pops out. I didn't lower the tranny because I wasn't sure where exactly to start inbolting when it came to the cross member or the mounts. I can really use some help and would appreciate an explanation of whether it's the trans mounts or cross member that needs to be unbolted to lower the tranny down. Thank you in advance especially this time.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
You would loosen the cross member while supporting the trans with a jack. Leave one bolt in one end but loosen it so you can use it as a pivot point. Lower the jack a little carefully and you'll have movement and can adjust to your needs.

Reactions: Mooseman

MBS1994

Original poster
May 26, 2019
Colorado
You would loosen the cross member while supporting the trans with a jack. Leave one bolt in one end but loosen it so you can use it as a pivot point. Lower the jack a little carefully and you'll have movement and can adjust to your needs.
Does that give more clearance for me to work the snap ring?

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Might, might not. Just gotta make sure the cover is all the way into the bore past the oring. Had to use a little persuasion with a pry bar against the tunnel and wedging it to push the cover in on mine to get the oring to slip in.

Reactions: Mooseman

cornchip

Jan 6, 2013
There is a tool to allow a somewhat hands free positioning of the compressed servo cover. Without the tool the job is a bit of a contortionist act with the space available. I was able to make my own tool (plate with a slot for a short tire spoon) that allowed me to assemble and compress the piston cover lower than the snap ring groove. If you get that far and have a third hand, install the ring from the 2 o'clock position counter clockwise and finish back at 3 o'clock. Let's you easily compress the remaining ring where you can get at it from below (screw driver or even a strong thumb will do it). You'll hear a audible snap when it fully seats.

MBS1994

Original poster
May 26, 2019
Colorado
Okay so after some time of cooling down and taking a new look the servo is not going in far enough. I took it back and messed with it and now it goes in far enough. I'm getting a new gasket now and going to try again.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.