Service stabilitrak

Dmflash

Original poster
Dec 16, 2021
Canada
I have a 2007 Trailblazer LT . Last month I took off the rear tires and put snow tires on regular steel rims without tire pressure monitors on . Naturally I got a message to service my tire pressure monitors but two weeks later I'm getting service stabilitrak messages. Is there a connection between the tire pressure monitors and stabilitrak?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
There is no connection between the two systems an could just be a coincidence. If there was an actual speed difference between front and back, the ABS light would also come on. More than likely, it's the steering wheel position sensor if it's only the Stabilitrak light that's coming on. To confirm, you should get the codes read.

flyboy2610

Aug 24, 2021
Lincoln, Ne.
I'm betting the snow tires have a larger diameter than the two front tires due to less wear. This would cause the front tires to rotate at a different rate than the rear tires. The Stabilitrak system probably senses this and interprets it as a problem with the system, hence the code. Try putting the other tires back and, clear the codes, and see if the code comes back. If not, you know what the issue is. 4WD vehicles generally do not react well to mismatched tire diameters.

Dmflash

Original poster
Dec 16, 2021
Canada
Thanks to both for the help, I just dropped my daughter and friends off at the mall for boxing Day and had no problems going there. On the way home the stabilitrak came on again now with traction control light.
I do actually have a matching set of winters but due to the mild winter here in Ontario I thought I could get away with just rear tires , I'll put the front ones on today or tomorrow and see if that works. Thanks again.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The ABS module is basically what controls the Stabilitrak. If there was an issue with a wheel size mismatch, the ABS light would also come on.

If only the Stabilitrak light comes on, then it's likely the steering wheel position sensor, which is the only part that is exclusive to the Stabilitrak system. All the other parts are shared with the ABS system. If there was an issue with any other part, both the ABS and Stabilitrak lights would be on. The SWPS is a common failure part and is known to do this intermittently like yours is doing, especially when cold. To turn off the light while driving, turn the key momentarily to START. If the light comes on just as soon as you turn the steering wheel, it's the SWPS.

Dmflash

Original poster
Dec 16, 2021
Canada
Ok , I also had the traction control light on this morning. Do you still think it's the swps? Is there any other symptoms of a bad swps?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Nope. Just the Stabilitrak light that comes on.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.