Service Stabilitrak ?

deepblue

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
For the 2nd day in a row, "Service Stabilitrak" on DIC and indicator light on..... No codes stored in PCM.

Occurred in morning while driving but then went out after stopping and restarting.

Any ideas ?

fletch09

Nov 20, 2011
had the same thing w/ my 09 TB.
next time the light comes on, take it to have codes read while still running. (don't shut it off or it will reset.)
mine would come on every time i made a certain left hand turn. (took same route to post office every day)
i have onstar, so i called them next time the light came on. it actually threw a code while running. had something to do with steering.
took it to dealer and told them the code. they checked it out and could not find any problem. (because it had reset)
on the old site people had talked about steering wheel position sensors. i actually printed off some conversation
from the thread, and showed it to the dealer. they replaced the sensors and that solved the problem. :twocents:

deepblue

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Me007gold said:
Sounds like steering wheel position sensor

Would that throw a code ? I used my scanner while the engine was running with indicator light "on" but no codes.

Me007gold

Nov 20, 2011
deepblue said:
Would that throw a code ? I used my scanner while the engine was running with indicator light "on" but no codes.

Not usually, its one of those intermidten problems. Some days it works, some days it dosnt. Ive got the same issue, however its usually only when its cold out side, and after the truck warms up the problem goes away.

fletch09

Nov 20, 2011
deepblue said:

mine threw a code that onstar diognostics was able to detect while light was on.
dealer could not find any stored codes pertaining to it though.

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
Stabiltrak codes can NOT be read by consumer OBDII scanners for the simple reason that they are not emissions-related.

They can be read by high-end scan tools of course, and here's an interesting tip: they can often be read by code scanners that can read ABS trouble codes. I have a dedicated Actron ABS scan tool that can read Stabiltrak codes and, with the firmware upgrade, can also reset them.

I also have an OTC scan tool that can read OBDII, ABS, SRS and Stabiltrak codes. Look for a code scanner than can read ABS codes and you can also probably read Stabiltrak codes.

By the way, the dealer who told you that the codes were erased and could not be read, was lying. ABS, SRS and Stabiltrak codes are stored in history until erased by a high end scan tool, no matter how brief or intermittent.

Or the other alternative is to assume that nearly every intermittent Stabiltrak code that goes off after a short drive and a reset is a steering wheel position sensor. It seems to be the nature of the sensor, in that most of our driving is straight ahead, and thus the outer edges of the sensor get used little. If the vehicle is parked for a day or two, especially with the steering wheel off center, the computer detects no contact, shuts down Stabiltrak and sets off the code. Once you drive for a bit, it makes good contact and a restart shuts the code off. It is the nature of the sensor itself, and this is why a new one will fix it - for a few years anyway, until it starts to get a bit corroded on the contacts outside the straight ahead position. It is much like the 4-wheel-drive switch that needs 'exercising' a few times a year to make good contact.

Reactions: Obi Juan Kenobi

coolasice

Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
I was able to scan my stabilitrak codes with my elmscan compact USB adapter and scanxl pro software, I am not able to reset though as it locks up the scantool

JerryIrons

Dec 20, 2011
I have a bad steering wheel position sensor that I am changing in the near future. A common symptom is to park your car at night with the steering wheel turned left or right somewhat. Then when you start up in the morning you will see the service stabiltrak lit etc. If you park your car at night with the steering wheel straight, you will probably start your car in the morning with no codes, lights, etc.

I know this because my wife parks the car with the steering wheel turned. I had a little fun with it of course, wtf every time you drive the car I have codes, what are you doing ? :smile:

oops just noticed original post from january 2012

-Jerry

Nov 19, 2014
Chickenhawk said:
Stabiltrak codes can NOT be read by consumer OBDII scanners for the simple reason that they are not emissions-related.

They can be read by high-end scan tools of course, and here's an interesting tip: they can often be read by code scanners that can read ABS trouble codes. I have a dedicated Actron ABS scan tool that can read Stabiltrak codes and, with the firmware upgrade, can also reset them.

I also have an OTC scan tool that can read OBDII, ABS, SRS and Stabiltrak codes. Look for a code scanner than can read ABS codes and you can also probably read Stabiltrak codes.

By the way, the dealer who told you that the codes were erased and could not be read, was lying. ABS, SRS and Stabiltrak codes are stored in history until erased by a high end scan tool, no matter how brief or intermittent.

Or the other alternative is to assume that nearly every intermittent Stabiltrak code that goes off after a short drive and a reset is a steering wheel position sensor. It seems to be the nature of the sensor, in that most of our driving is straight ahead, and thus the outer edges of the sensor get used little. If the vehicle is parked for a day or two, especially with the steering wheel off center, the computer detects no contact, shuts down Stabiltrak and sets off the code. Once you drive for a bit, it makes good contact and a restart shuts the code off. It is the nature of the sensor itself, and this is why a new one will fix it - for a few years anyway, until it starts to get a bit corroded on the contacts outside the straight ahead position. It is much like the 4-wheel-drive switch that needs 'exercising' a few times a year to make good contact.
Would you mind providing model numbers for your scan tools? I am in the market for a more advanced scanner than my $100 OTC. Can't spend 2K for the shop style scanners but am trying to price out exactly what you Guys consider "High End". Thank you.

coolasice

Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
The steering angle sensor stores the code C0455. The code will remain in history for I believe 100 ignition cycles. Look for a scanner that can access the abs/chassis codes. I have a USB module that I use scanxl pro software with that can access abs/pcm/airbag/bcm codes.

DAlastDON

Apr 6, 2014
Kentucky
SWPS is not difficult to get to. Just remove the lower dash covers to gain access. Getting the SWPS off the steering shaft is what was most challenging. Not much for my arthritic hands to grab a hold of to pull on. It fits on the steering shaft like a glove to make good electrical contact. Stuck an allen key through the white plastic piece the STPS rests inside from the steering wheel side to push at the top while i pulled from the bottom from the back side. Came right out. Replacement again for me will be a 15-20 minute job the second time around.

Inspection of the sensor after removal did show a lot of corrosion on the electrical contacts. Cleaned them up and put the sensor on the shelf to reinstall when the replacement fails to function correctly after the contacts get corroded.

Read the codes with an ELM Bluetooth dongle and CarGauge Pro.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
From day one mine will show "service stabilitrak" if it is parked with the wheels turned. It will always clear by pushing any of the info buttons on the steering wheel or a restart. Pretty much what others have also said...Mike.

DAlastDON

Apr 6, 2014
Kentucky
Mooseman said:
Is this the program you're talking about?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=Scantech.CarGaugePro&hl=en

I have been looking for an app that can read all codes.
Dunno about all but so far for me it has assisted me the repair of the SWPS and a wheel speed sensor. Also reads old and pending codes that have not set a dummy light yet.

As far as communicating and commanding certain modules, i have not found it to do anything with GM. When i had my maxima, it would do things like actuate the abs or shut off spark to specified cylinders among other nissan consult2 commands.

Jon Blaze

Sep 5, 2014
I hope im in the right spot. Drove today and service stabill trac message come on then turned off pulled code and it was U1152. Lost communication with HVAC control system. Pulled code from DDM. any help with this code.

LikeEnvoy

Apr 17, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
I have a post on this thread: http://gmtnation.com/forums/topic/12444-steering-wheel-position-sensor/?p=413774
about my Service Stabilitrak lamps turning on only when my steering wheel is turned to full right lock. Clears when engine is restarted with wheel not at full right lock. Seems more and more like the SWPS is worn or corroded at the full right lock position. Will find out when weather warms up and I try replacing the sensor. (p.s. this started intermittently quite some time ago then recently began happening on every trip. I'm at 167,000km)

Attachments

• SvcStabilitrakLamps.jpg
    SvcStabilitrakLamps.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 8

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher