Service manual, cost and source

khill

Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
For some reason I'm compelled to buy a service manual for my trailblazer, the official one, not those haynes or chiltons POS... Found one on ebay for about 150, is that a good price? Anyone know where to get one cheaper?

ieatglue

Nov 20, 2011
$150 for a manual??? That's kinda expensive IMO. I've never used haynes or Chiltons until recently when I bought a torque wrench just to get the torque specs from. If you don't already know, you can access the Chiltons manuals for free here

khill

Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
Well, it is the real Chevrolet service manual, everything you ever need to know about the platform... Same thing the stealerships use. Thanks for the link though.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
I bought the factory 3 vol. set, new, direct from HelmInc.com for $126.95 and that included shipping.

The set for your 2004 is $135 plus shipping.

khill

Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
fadyasha said:
Damn that is alot for a manual :eek:!

Not just a manual but a factory service manual, it's like a Trailblazer bible. It's justifiable when you really use one. Just used one to replace half the electrical on a 91 Jeep and it had lots of information found nowhere else. Thankfully those are so old you can find em online for free now... Haven't needed one for my TB yet, but I'd like to have it before I need it.

Thanks for the link wooluf.

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
fadyasha said:
Damn that is alot for a manual :eek:!

Yeah it's steep but it is so worth it.:yes:

Here's how one model year of Helms stacks up against the 02-03 chiltons.

8255e26f.jpg

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
tbuckalew14 said:
Wow. That's a lot of reading.
I always try to keep vehicles for 8-10 years, so I buy the factory service manual right away, even while it's still in warranty. For the Roadiemobile, I bought the Helm manual, and sat down EVERY NIGHT for over a month reading it cover to cover, absorbing the theory of operation of all the systems, tracing schematics, and so forth. That's why I'm such a systems geek. Or maybe it's because I'm a systems geek. :confused: I'm just insanely curious and hate mysteries. :cool:

So when somebody asks where I get my data that they're considering disputing, I just post this picture:

mosesroadie.jpg

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
MAY03LT said:
Yeah it's steep but it is so worth it.:yes:
My point as well; if you're trying to save money on DIY repairs, you have to invest in tools. Knowledge is a POWERFUL and VALUABLE tool.

View attachment 17800

Attachments

• YoureTooCheap (Medium).jpg
    YoureTooCheap (Medium).jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 3

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online