Service Engine Light- Frequent/Past Problems

TB2k4

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
the service engine light came on during my drive home tonight... im just wondering what some of the common problems you guys have had associated with this. mines at 84k miles, 2004 TB. I havent had a chance to check the codes yet- got home after store closings and just wanted to inquire. ive already replaced the thermostat and the transmission/cooling lines in the truck- looking to hear what else others have run into. I will pull the codes tomorrow morning.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
There are dozens of of codes.

A guess would just be that. A guess.

No value at all. :no:

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Wooluf1952 said:
..dozens...
Dozens of dozens, even. It may be possible to do a pareto chart of statistically how many codes get reported to various forums, but it would be of absolutely no value. Like coming home to find a silent wife, glaring at you. You have to find a way to COMMUNICATE to figure out what you did wrong. :wink:

At least you didn't do like some noobs do, and report a SEL, and immediately ask "How much is this gonna cost me to fix?"

facepalm.gif

TB2k4

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
alright alright. i was a little panicky when i posted this- i just dont want anything major. ill post the codes in the AM- would a misfire come up with this light?

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
TB2k4 said:
alright alright. i was a little panicky when i posted this- i just dont want anything major. ill post the codes in the AM- would a misfire come up with this light?

Yes. A miss-fire would be P030x. The x being 0 - 6, depending if it is a random miss or a specific cylinder.

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
the roadie said:
Like coming home to find a silent wife

The real dilemma when you find this is do you try to fix it or just enjoy :undecided:

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
SBUBandit said:
The real dilemma when you find this is do you try to fix it or just enjoy :undecided:

Enjoy, but then start worrying if it's something you did!

TB2k4

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
the verdict is in: P1133, "heated oxygen sensor in bank 1 sensor 1 (H02S11) insufficient switching" says the print out.

additional info-
i think the engine might be eating a little bit of oil... i need to check it again today to confirm.

is it just a bad sensor? the old man jumped straight to an engine rebuild...

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
A good O2 sensor should switch (change output up and down) from around 200mV to 900 mV (or so , not exact) 1-2 times a second. When they get old, such as over 100K miles, they get sluggish and don't wiggle up and down so quickly. $50-60 problem. Use only AC Delco sensors. Bosch have had reported trouble matching the PCM's expectations for the heater circuit resistance. Not a bad brand, just slightly incompatible with our PCM design.

A higher-end scan tool that can observe the sensor data in real time can confirm this, but if you have almost 100K miles, you might as well put in Delco 41-103 plugs at the same time. Youtube videos are available to show the O2 sensor data (not platform specific) and how to change I6 spark plugs.

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
the roadie said:
Dozens of dozens, even. It may be possible to do a pareto chart of statistically how many codes get reported to various forums, but it would be of absolutely no value. Like coming home to find a silent wife, glaring at you. You have to find a way to COMMUNICATE to figure out what you did wrong. :wink:
facepalm.gif

When you get up in the morning say, "Honey, for whatever I may do today, I am sorry; I am only a man." :rotfl:

Good chance just the sensor is shot, had that happen to me on another vehicle years ago.

woody79

Dec 3, 2011
Matt said:
Enjoy, but then start worrying if it's something you did!

Enjoy but sleep with one eye open:rotfl:

TB2k4

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
sent it in for an engine rebuild this week while im hitting the slopes up north.

TB2k4

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
skiing is always serious business:cool:

but yeah sucks about the truck... at least i can put this behind me for many miles to come. :smile:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
javier perez

Members Online