NEED HELP Service Brakes, tranny slipping, spedo jumping, A/C drive hot:pass cold! No problem lights!?

GoldRainier

Original poster
Aug 26, 2019
IN
Hey guys, this is my first post since migration over from TrailVoy. The short story is I was driving with my family and the service brakes notification came on with the chimes and ABS/PB light, the transmission started feeling like it couldn't find the correct gear, the spedo started jumping all over, and discovered later that when the A/C is turned on the fan blows fine out of all vents, but the drives side blows very hot, while the pass blows ice cold.

Longer, I have a 2004 Biuck Rainier that we bought with 100400 miles on it and it currently has 118000, It has the P/S leak, we are working at fixing it, but currently are just putting fluid in it every week, so there's a lot of P/S fluid all over everything. Vehicle usually drives fine, we did have the problem dash, checked the underhood ground and that seemed to have fixed it (hasn't been back in like 4 years). The drivers side hub needs to be changed, I have the part, just need the socket. Paid the truck off Saturday, and no kidding, Sunday...fing Sunday, this happens. Drove it in the morning, and afternoon. Were going to get some school clothes for the kids and on our way out of the 'hood the chimes go off, brake lights come on, trans starts hunting for gear, spedo starts jumping all over.

Looked through the forums for a few days, saw all the "it's the ground under your feet on the frame" posts, but those were also always for just the brake issue, not all of this together. I pulled in into the driveway, cleaned the TB, changed the plugs and air filter (I have a fuel filter, just not changed yet). That did not work, My assumption is that it IS an electrical issue because of everything happening at the same time. I did hit the most common called out ground on the frame, nothing, hit three others under the hood. Still problem.

So help me you guys...the NEXT DAY! I love reading the forums so much info, that I know what to do usually even before there is a problem.

Help me, nation!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Lets break this down a bit.

Hey guys, this is my first post since migration over from TrailVoy. The short story is I was driving with my family and the service brakes notification came on with the chimes and ABS/PB light, the transmission started feeling like it couldn't find the correct gear, the spedo started jumping all over, and discovered later that when the A/C is turned on the fan blows fine out of all vents, but the drives side blows very hot, while the pass blows ice cold.

These could be caused by a bad ignition switch. There have been instances of weird stuff like this happening by others. It's a fairly cheap part and easy to replace so start there first. Use ACDelco.

My assumption is that it IS an electrical issue because of everything happening at the same time. I did hit the most common called out ground on the frame, nothing, hit three others under the hood. Still problem.

There is also the ground inside. This thread shows ALL the ground points that should be checked and cleaned.

Longer, I have a 2004 Biuck Rainier that we bought with 100400 miles on it and it currently has 118000, It has the P/S leak, we are working at fixing it, but currently are just putting fluid in it every week, so there's a lot of P/S fluid all over everything.
The drivers side hub needs to be changed, I have the part, just need the socket.

Those are purely mechanical issues, not related to the electrical problems.

So start with the ignition switch and grounds first and we'll go from there.

I had a similar issue a few months ago on my Rainier where the ABS and Parking Brake lights would turn on with a message about the brakes on the DIC even after cleaning the ground on the frame. It ended up just being cold solder joints. I took out the ABS module and cut it open so I could apply fresh solder to everything on the board. I sealed it with some gasket maker and haven't had any problems ever since. Your ABS module is different than the ones in most GMT 360 trucks if you have traction control and it can be difficult to find a replacement.

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Not sure if it would be something with the ABS module since he's also getting issues with the tranny and cluster. Lets wait and see what happens.

GoldRainier

Original poster
Aug 26, 2019
IN
Alright, changed the ignition switch, and hit about half of the grounds (of course the easy to access ones, well except for the one in the center console, about broke that thing in half getting it out). No luck so far. Need to get to the engine block, b-pillar, and c-pillar grounds.

One thing I do notice as I was driving next to a wall was a ringing/grinding, not bad grinding, noise that seems to coincide with the spedo jumping. I am using a Hanes manual for guidance and it suggested the VSS could give these issues also. Thoughts?

What about a TC that is overdue for service (I don't know by how much, I just recently saw that the maint interval is 50k, my bet is it was never done). I tried to do them when we bought the vehicle, but couldn't get the access plugs off.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
One thing I do notice as I was driving next to a wall was a ringing/grinding, not bad grinding, noise that seems to coincide with the spedo jumping.

I just went through this and it was a rear brake caliper bolt that was missing. It might also just be one of the backing plates rubbing on a rotor. Happens a lot.

GoldRainier

Original poster
Aug 26, 2019
IN
I think this may be a problem. What do you think? This is a pigtail that goes from a connector to the VSS.
Buick burnt wiring.jpg

The problem I'm having now is that the part number I can find is the connector on the right that ends in two bare wires and comes with two splices. I need the end on the left though, and I can't find it anywhere.

Reactions: Mooseman

GoldRainier

Original poster
Aug 26, 2019
IN
Thanks TJBaker57. I took the TSB to Chevy to see if they could get me the left end of the harness, we looked through their manuals and couldn't find anything, at all. He found one connector, and is ordering it to see if it's the correct one, but that won't come in until Monday. At this point I am thinking of just cutting this connector out and splicing in the new one.

I'll keep everybody informed as to what happens.

GoldRainier

Original poster
Aug 26, 2019
IN
Soooo...apparently GM has no record of this part ever existing. The chevy tech called GM and they could not find it. He said that probably somebody rigged it for some reason. Which I don't see, there's not a lot of shade tree stuff done to this vehicle. It has the air bag delete, and for some reason the seatbelt chime doesn't ring and the butt part of the seat heater doesn't work, but other than that the vehicle looks pristine. I don't think the previous owner would have just added this.
It also has a Delphi stamp and P/N on the plug I can't find. Why would a shade tree do that?
I'm just going to solder the two ends together, that's what it looks like you're "supposed" to do.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Mouser Electronics Supply literally has "The Library of Congress" of Delphi (now known as APTIV) and Other Automotive Electrical Connectors that is well worth your time perusing for this hard To Find Harness and/or Sub-Components. Check out EACH Index for the FASTEST way to search for your component... noting the Delphi Number as the best place to begin... or simply use the Image Section if none shows up via OEM Part Numbers:

GoldRainier

Original poster
Aug 26, 2019
IN
MRRSM, thanks for that, I will use it in the future.
So, I was able to reuse the old connector, still had a little wire left in it. Got it all back together and everything seems to be working fine now!!! I've been driving it for three days and no problems.

Thank all of you for you help.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online