Service airbag

Nina

Original poster
Jan 24, 2017
Kansas City Mo
In my 2006 Envoy the service airbag warning and the airbag light came on. Is this something that I need to have checked? Or is it just a dummy light?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Depends. Which light is it? There are two. One is to advise is a passenger is in the seat (there is a 2 in the symbol) and the other is an actual airbag problem and is red. If it's the latter, then it is a problem and the airbag may not deploy in a crash. You would need a high end scanner to get the codes to know what is going on.

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
Could be a few things that I can think of;

1. Chafed wire under driver's seat (if the light goes off if you move the seat back and forth that's your culprit)

2. Airbag module (under center console, can go bad if something has spilled and found it's way under there)

3. Airbag fuse has blown out

4. Front impact sensors. I haven't seen it happen on these trucks, but I have had to replace them twice on my Avalanche due to GM's *strategic* placement of sitting under the bumper where all the rain, mud, salt etc beat the thing until it fails from corrosion.

INNOVA makes a good scan tool, I had an issue with the airbag light on in my old Envoy that turned out to be caused by a blown fuse and a flaky front impact sensor.

Reactions: xavierny25

Blackstar

Aug 2, 2014
Mine does that every now and then if I reach for something under the driver's seat. Move wires around gently and it goes away.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86