Service air bag?

Lima Tango

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
ALCON,

I got a "service air bag" warning tonight (spelled out on the DIC and the error light.) It went away after maybe 30 seconds and so far hasn't returned as of about 30 miles of continuous driving since. I've never seen that in her 90k miles.

In the interest of full disclosure, and it might be sheer coincidence, but about 1 hour/50 miles of continuous driving prior to the error there was a minor low-speed bump into a parking garage pole. It wasn't head on, it was next to the vehicle which contacted it with the fender when pulling out too sharply at maybe 5 mph. Small dent, more on that later in another thread. I have felt harder bumps when hitting potholes so I am hesitant to preach causality for an airbag issue.

Anyway, I would normally wait and see if it happens again to establish a trend before worrying about it, but airbag stuff is not something with which one should trifle so I thought I would ask now. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

LT

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
The cause of the error might be stored in memory for a high end scan tool to retrieve. Could be any of a few dozen connectors or sensors.

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
Not sure when yours was built or if you have leather. I found 2 airbag issues.

NHTSA campaign 06V417000- issue regarding passanger seat sensing system.

GM extended warranty 10335 is for 08 Acadia but describes some bad connection at terminals from body to airbag system. Maybe that lil jolt resulted in this similar condition.

Just thought it might help point you in the right direction.

Lima Tango

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
It's an '05 and has leather. I'll keep researching but will keep the high-end scan in mind to help diagnose. In the meantime I'll wear a motorcycle helmet the whole time I'm driving just in case the airbag becomes self-aware and goes off on its own.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.