"Service 4WD" after front disconnect install

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
I just got around to replacing my front disconnect assembly, actuator motor, and new CV shaft.

All went together fine, everything rotates freely, but when I engage A4WD, the encoder motor operates but it sounds like it stops earlier than before...I'm not 100% on that though.

When I engage 4HI and put the vehicle in the air, all the tires rotate. When I put it back in 2HI, the front releases and all is good.

When I shut the engine off then restart in 2HI, the "Service 4WD" light stays off. When I engage A4WD or 4HI, the light blinks for awhile then sets the "Service 4WD" light....but the 4WD still works.

If I have it in 4HI, and make a turn, the front will bind as usual, so all is working....just not sure if I feel comfortable applying normal torque to the wheels.

Could this be a grease issue, maybe limited movement inside the actuator, or maybe incompatible actuator?

Anyone experience this?

Thanks!

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Keep these Used Transfer Case Control Modules in mind... ( they're Not TOO Expensive... and readily available on ebay) just in case you want to pick one up and try swapping one in to see how the system behaves afterwards. Sometimes, 'Secondary Problems' will reveal themselves as soon as a New Part goes into "The Mix":

Last edited:

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Thanks for the link.

I meant to also add the transfer case motor was replaced about 2 yeats ago..with a dealer part

Reactions: mrrsm

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Someone else had issues with the actuator that came with the disco. Put the original back in and no problems. Can't remember if it caused a light though. Since it does it in A4WD too, which only activates the disco, I'm leaning towards that than the encoder motor.

Other than that, may need to get the codes.

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
So the old actuator housing is long gone, but I saved the encoder motor. I swapped the old motor in today and all is working. The new one has the plunger sticking out and is likely the culprit.

Seller said he would make it all good.

This is the new encoder with the plunger extended farther than normal for the resting position.20200116_164441.jpg

Reactions: Matt and Mooseman

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
I meant to add that the plunger was not extended like this when I installed it, not sure what went wrong.

Reactions: Beacon

Bgbdbrad1099

Nov 12, 2018
Grand Forks ND
Did you buy it from connecting rod Masters on eBay? I had exactly the same problem about a month ago. I messaged the seller about the problem and for $15 shipping they sent me a whole new disco and encoder. I don't know yet if the new encoder works but I now have a spare disco

Reactions: Mooseman

bfairweath

Oct 20, 2013
Neenah, WI
omeone else had issues with the actuator that came with the disco. Put the original back in and no problems. Can't remember if it caused a light though. Since it does it in A4WD too, which only activates the disco, I'm leaning towards that than the encoder motor.

That was me. The actuator that came with my aftermarket disco did fail almost immediately. Just like gmcman, it failed in the extended position. It did cause a "Service 4WD" light when anything but 2WD was selected - even though it failed in 4WD mode (extended plunger should engage the disco).

You can easily check the operation of the disco actuator by selecting 4WD or AWD with the actuator electrically connected but not mounted in the disco. Just plug in the electrical connector and have someone move the selector between 2WD and 4WD (or AWD). The plunger should extend for any of the 4WD modes and retract for 2WD.

Reactions: Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.