Selling the Envoy, buying an Escape :)

shovenose

Original poster
Apr 24, 2016
SF Bay Area, CA
Nothing against the Envoy, it's the nicer vehicle, but I'm about to get a sweet deal on an 08 Escape. Yeah, I know the trannys suck, but otherwise they are solid and I know some people with seriously high mileage ones so it should be OK. The price? $1000, minor body damage on the rear door, I know the seller, so I trust them. Will post pics, I know it's not a GM but it's still American, and it should get a little better MPG :smile:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Not half the vehicle as this platform, but a good car type thing. Just not good for off highway or towing or anything truck type. Has the look, but not the bones to much more than a car.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Brother had an 01. Never really had any trouble with it. Notchy feeling transmission, and more of a "tin can" feel and transmitted road noise, but wasn't a bad vehicle.

Reactions: Tiggerr

DAlastDON

Apr 6, 2014
Kentucky
My sis rides in an 08 escape hybrid. Bought new and has not had any major repairs that i know of. Also still on the original brake pads thanks to regenerative braking.

shovenose

Original poster
Apr 24, 2016
SF Bay Area, CA
Not half the vehicle as this platform, but a good car type thing. Just not good for off highway or towing or anything truck type. Has the look, but not the bones to much more than a car.

It's not as well-built as a TB/Envoy, but it certainly is better for what I do (driving back and forth from point A to point B). If I ever want to do any towing or major hauling I have my full-size truck still.

I don't even know that much about this Escape that I'm ending up with but it is the V6, not the I4 unfortunately. I was hoping for the four-banger for fuel economy and easy of maintenance reasons... oh well :biggrin:

Reactions: HARDTRAILZ

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
V6 shouldn't be much worse maintenance wise, it's coil-on-plug through the top of the head so even the backside plugs shouldn't be too bad. Oil filter is in the open in the front by the exhaust manifold iirc. Air filter sits directly on top of the engine and is easily changed. Nothing is too bad on them from what I remember from seeing them at work. The camshaft driven water pump always scare me though, just so weird.

shovenose

Original poster
Apr 24, 2016
SF Bay Area, CA
V6 shouldn't be much worse maintenance wise, it's coil-on-plug through the top of the head so even the backside plugs shouldn't be too bad. Oil filter is in the open in the front by the exhaust manifold iirc. Air filter sits directly on top of the engine and is easily changed. Nothing is too bad on them from what I remember from seeing them at work. The camshaft driven water pump always scare me though, just so weird.

Yeah, what happened to the good old days when you could change your water pump in a parking lot or on the side of the road with basic hand tools :'( I guess the pumps are smaller and more efficient but it's so frustrating when basic high-failure rate items that will leave you stranded aren't DIY-friendly, for example starters under intake manifolds on Toyota V8s...

Reactions: Redbeard

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Well, to do the backside spark plugs you have to take the upper intake manifold off. Not a big deal - my brother did it and he's not very mechanically inclined - but just a bit of a nuisance.

He never had water pump trouble.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Had an 06 before the Voy, the V6 was ok (a little buzzy) but, I had two tranny failures under 50 K.This was my first and last venture with FoMoCo :sadcry:

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Well, to do the backside spark plugs you have to take the upper intake manifold off. Not a big deal - my brother did it and he's not very mechanically inclined - but just a bit of a nuisance.

He never had water pump trouble.

Didn't realize that. I knew it was that way in the newer vehicles that used the same motor, I guess I just assumed the plenum was different since it used a different filter box.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
For the price its a solid buy, but a different kind of vehicle. Sounds like it will work well

shovenose

Original poster
Apr 24, 2016
SF Bay Area, CA
Well, first person to look at Envoy was scared away by engine noise. :'( I tried to explain that it's pretty common for the 4.2 and that I've ridden in this vehicle for 5+ years and owned it for 1+ years and it's always sounded like that and never had any issues, but mr "I'm a certified mechanic" didn't agree. Oh well, his loss. Now just have to find a deaf person to sell it to :biggrin: I mean come on it's a $1500 car with brand new tires and if you're a mechanic you can put a junkyard engine in if it ever does go bye-bye, right?

dkvasnicka

Jul 24, 2015
Czech republic, Europe
Just not good for off highway
Not sure about these newer versions but the first generation of Mazda Tribute - the almost identical twin of the Escape/Maverick (EU) - was unbelievably good off road, given it's a crossover, essentially. It's a simple no-bullshit car with a relatively bullet-proof lockable AWD.

I actually have Tribute on my list of possible future cars (in case I need/can live with something smaller). I'm just not sure I could fit kids in the back. @shovenose Do you know what is the difference in door-to-door width of the back seats area between GMT360s and the Escape? From what I've googled it may be like 2" narrower or something like that. Anyway, the 08 is probably a bit different than the first gen...

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Not sure about these newer versions but the first generation of Mazda Tribute - the almost identical twin of the Escape/Maverick (EU) - was unbelievably good off road, given it's a crossover, essentially. It's a simple no-bullshit car with a relatively bullet-proof lockable AWD.
Actually the exact ones I was talking about. My buddy had one and it would get stuck on wet grass and even with AT tires could not make through the basic path to our pond dam. It is the reason he bought a jeep since it failed so much offroad. The locking was just to split the power like any real transfer case should, but they did not have low range and have too many electrical nannies trying to control the system to make it worth a shit.

dkvasnicka

Jul 24, 2015
Czech republic, Europe
Interesting, I've heard different stories. But then again Jeep is a different class of vehicle, to be fair.

Not sure what "nannies" you have in mind. Wheel braking? When not locked the system was purely mechanical, utilizing silicone fluid. I would love to have that instead of the stupid encoder-motors-eating AWD system on GMT360s.

Instrumental

Jan 29, 2012
I am on the hunt for an Escape myself for a daily driver. I am not willing to give up the 6500 lb towing capacity my SaaBlazer gives me, but I do need something better suited to commuting. I'm very impressed with the ecoboost engines, my neighbor has been driving one for a few years now and his mpg's are impressive.

shovenose

Original poster
Apr 24, 2016
SF Bay Area, CA
I'm just not sure I could fit kids in the back. @shovenose Do you know what is the difference in door-to-door width of the back seats area between GMT360s and the Escape? From what I've googled it may be like 2" narrower or something like that. Anyway, the 08 is probably a bit different than the first gen...
Once I get my Escape I'll measure whatever you want. But you can measure your GMT360 yourself :tongue:

dkvasnicka

Jul 24, 2015
Czech republic, Europe
Once I get my Escape I'll measure whatever you want. But you can measure your GMT360 yourself :tongue:

I already have :wink: (it's a non-issue with two seats but we'll soon need to drive with 3 ...I'm not planning to change vehicle anytime soon but if I'm forced by outside circumstances I was thinking about this platform and therefore I'm asking)
1cyzFqW_aEbSG2LbDUB_jMy2O51o7pIY.jpg

shovenose

Original poster
Apr 24, 2016
SF Bay Area, CA
Sold the blue blob last night and picking up the Escape today! Will measure for you today :wink:

Reactions: dkvasnicka

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I'm very impressed with the ecoboost engines, my neighbor has been driving one for a few years now and his mpg's are impressive.

I think this has to be the first time I've seen anyone report real-world MPGs on the EcoBoosts in line with the EPA estimates. Usually, that's the first thing I hear people complain about - so your neighbor must know how to drive efficiently.

I didn't know these were now offered in Escapes - checked that out just now, and there are actually two offerings - a 'hot rod' 2.0L, and the more plebeian 1.5 ...which has me SMH... it seems like *everyone* is offering a 1.5T now. That's even going to be the base engine in the 2018 Accord, for crying out loud (and no more V6...meaning I'll be keeping mine until it dies)

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
I think this has to be the first time I've seen anyone report real-world MPGs on the EcoBoosts in line with the EPA estimates. Usually, that's the first thing I hear people complain about - so your neighbor must know how to drive efficiently.

I didn't know these were now offered in Escapes - checked that out just now, and there are actually two offerings - a 'hot rod' 2.0L, and the more plebeian 1.5 ...which has me SMH... it seems like *everyone* is offering a 1.5T now. That's even going to be the base engine in the 2018 Accord, for crying out loud (and no more V6...meaning I'll be keeping mine until it dies)

My 2.0L ecoboost Fusion is too fun to mash on to get EPA rated mileage out of...
plus the wife drives it mostly so....

shovenose

Original poster
Apr 24, 2016
SF Bay Area, CA

I usually can't stand such small engines, but my bf has a '16 Fusion with the 1.5 EcoBoost and it's got plenty of power. I think EPA on that is 28MPG but he averages about 26MPG because 1. he doesn't put in synthetic oil (oops), and 2. he drives agressively like me. With Royal Purple and nicer driving habits I have no doubt 30MPG average would be achievable.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Just sounds very underwhelming to get 28 mpg from a 1.5L engine, particularly when I used to get 32 mpg from a 3.8L engine a few years back.

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
Just sounds very underwhelming to get 28 mpg from a 1.5L engine, particularly when I used to get 32 mpg from a 3.8L engine a few years back.

Back in the 80's I remember people getting that kind of mileage out of a carb...
Nevermind the Early 80's VW Rabbit diesel my buddy had that got almost 60MPG if he was nice to it on the Hwy....

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
28 from an ecoboost 1.5...that is really embarrassing. I am almost at that with my LS1 5.7.

oh...synthetic wont do shit either...

Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
My clapped out 99 Volvo V70 FWD Auto gets 29 MPG from a 170HP 2.4L I5 with no turbo.
Friend with a 5-Speed TDI MK4 Jetta gets 52MPG on the highway with cruise on.
EcoBoost is a joke, just like the rest of the blue oval's products.

I actually looked into an Escape before I bought the 9-7x, '12 V6 4WD to be exact, and I hated it. It felt like a Fusion with taller springs. But if you like it, we're all happy for you.

shovenose

Original poster
Apr 24, 2016
SF Bay Area, CA
Have yet to measure it because I have no idea where any of the half-dozen measuring tapes I own have disappeared to.

So far I'm happy with the car (refuse to call it a truck). It's not perfect, needs an alignment, front brake pads, passenger front door doesn't open from outside, and it has the minor body damage I mentioned (will try to find a used drivers side rear door to make it look a lot better), and only got 16.9mpg on the last tank, then again that had like 4 hours of idling with AC on, a smog test, and conventional 10w30 oil... aiming for 20mpg this time around which will have some highway, minimal idling, and royal purple 5w20 like it should have had... other than all that it runs great, engine sounds great, not noisy like the 4.2 in the Envoy... definitely down on power/torque compared to the Envoy though... still, for a $1000 vehicle it's darn good and I hope to get many years out of it.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Have yet to measure it because I have no idea where any of the half-dozen measuring tapes I own have disappeared to.

And then you buy yet another, then find them all again!

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I thought I had commented in here came back and my post was still a draft. Friend of mine has that body style. Light feeling compared to the tb and very weird shifting from the trans. Cabin wasn't as quiet too but for her it's fine. For whatever reason my truck is particularly quite inside and a lot of people comment on it. Have fun with the new toy.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Can confirm. I don't think anything is wrong with it... I think it's just poor programming.
That's the best way I can describe it.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online