Self-Destructing Light Bulbs?!

harmless

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
Out of all my years around vehicles, THIS is a first for me.

Was told today by a neighbour that I had a burnt bulb, so I go check it out and yep, it's burnt... or so I though. :eyebrowhuh:

I replaced this particular bulb in December. :badday:

Take the bulb out of the housing and I'm greeted by something I've never seen before. :stars:

Little shards of glass and this:

88f9abc1.jpg

It completely and literally blew out. :wowfaint:

Anyone else ever see this?! What the heck could have caused THAT?! :book:

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
Never witnessed it, but I've been told that oils from your fingers (holding it while it's installed) can cause that :undecided:

harmless

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
RayVoy said:
Never witnessed it, but I've been told that oils from your fingers (holding it while it's installed) can cause that :undecided:

Completely aware of that. That's why I wear vinyl gloves just about every time I work on the SS. :yes:

Aside from not wanting to leave finger prints everywhere... :redface:

Greg: Manicure? Really? :weird: :raspberry: Did you get that parcel yet, Mr. Smartass? =)

n0kfb

Dec 8, 2011
Without seeing any other evidence, I'd say the bulb had water dripped onto it when it was on and hot.

-- Dan Meyer :coffee:

harmless

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
Housing is clean and clear of humidity. Between the vehicle epoxy and silicone backup on that, there's no dirt or water getting in those puppies.

But that is a good hypothesis...

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
I've had a couple of brand new standard light bulbs (120V) blow the moment I turned them on for the first time. Could have been a manufacturing defect in the glass and they retired early.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
yea, i had the same thing happen to my passanger rear turn signal bulb... i noticed the hyperrflash one day, so i went to change it... pulled the circuit board out... and BOOM... just the socket was left in the board... the little part of the bulb that was left, had this white film all over it.. im guessing from heating up to the point of blowing up like that??.. either way, changed the bulb and (knock on wood) havent seen or had a problem since...

harmless

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
CdnGMan said:
Nope... nothing... I'll wait until tomorrow and see if Canada Post leaves me a note or something... :confused:

If they "lose" this one again, Imma gonna be highly suspicious of BOTH of you. :raspberry: I'm tracking this one. :biggrin:

harmless

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
That Sir, is an H7 bulb, it's my DRL/Low beam.

Have had these housings since, um, 2008 (09?) and have never had *that* happen.

91RS

Dec 4, 2011
Ah, ok. I didn't realize you had aftermarket headlights, that's why I didn't recognize that bulb!

harmless

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
91RS said:
Ah, ok. I didn't realize you had aftermarket headlights, that's why I didn't recognize that bulb!

:rotfl: We'll let you get away with that this time...

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
My guess is harmless was not happy with that bulb. did you skimp on it?

harmless

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
djthumper said:
My guess is harmless was not happy with that bulb. did you skimp on it?

:rotfl: That would imply that her tastes are evolving... I've always used them bulbs!

I don't think GM has the tech to make our cars THAT intelligent... :biggrin:

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
harmless said:
:rotfl: That would imply that her tastes are evolving... I've always used them bulbs!

I don't think GM has the tech to make our cars THAT intelligent... :biggrin:

But look at the super special fan clutch they invented.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online