SOLVED! Security light solid on

Hobbyist4Life

Original poster
Sep 5, 2016
Qatar
Hello peeps,

So I my trailblazer has got crank issues and engine needs rebuild/replacement.

Been looking in scrapyards to get a whole car and take parts from it. However, I found a 2006 Envoy XL Denali that looks to be in mint condition. It has around 146000 km on the dash and everything looks good.

The problem is that there are no keys. So I tried to bypass the security, but instead of using a resistor I shorted it out and followed the security relearn process of attempting to start, wait 10 mins for security light to go off, amd repeat for a total of 3 times.

The problem that I'm having is that after the final step of the procedure, instead of starting, the security light became solid.

I couldn't find much info about a solid light so I need help ASAP.

Throw your suggestions at me!!

Regards,
H4L

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
You can probably “Start” from Scratch by purchasing a Brand New GM Key & Cylinder Lock Combo from your Local Dealership, but be prepared to provide Proof of Ownership and your Driver’s License to avoid receiving a polite, “Sorry… No Sir… Not Without getting copies of...blah, blah blah...” This protects you AND GM from issues relating to any challenges about Vehicle Theft. Besides... Dealerships LOVE it when you'...have your SUV towed to them...' so they can reach that magic $500.00 that extra, unintended repairs can often cost. As covered in the one of the Videos, the Ignition Key & Key Cylinder Combos are also available online.

These two videos are probably the BEST ones for showing How to Remove the Cylinder Lock … sans possessing the Ignition Key in your case… that MAY also require paying a Locksmith to B&E the Steering Column on your SUV. The Best Options involve getting the Ignition Key Cylinder Lock, both Front Door Locks and a few Extra Keys at the same time. Sometimes, what seems easy on the face of it can get complicated...and expensive. So , calling around first allows yout to wisely consider what the pricing and repair options available are nearby that suit your Wallet.

This site cover the Generic R&R of any Ignition Key Locking Cylinder:

https://extremehowto.com/replace-an-ignition-lock-cylinder/

Maverick6587

Dec 16, 2018
Sterling Heights, Michigan
I had a similar issue with the relearn procedure on my 97x. I wasn't waiting 5 seconds with the key off in between the 10 minute key on periods. Then an additional 5 seconds after the last 10 minute key on period. Also, maybe try the relearn with it not shorted out? Did you have a key made for the Envoy?

I think I went through about 20 videos on youtube before I found someone that explained the entire process in detail. I tried finding it again but, to no avail, sorry.

If that doesn't work for you, it looks like replacing the lock and lock cylinder would be the cheapest option for you.

I'm not sure on the PCM comparability but, maybe you could just swap your PCM and lock cylinder from your Trailblazer into the Envoy. It would take a little more time to do that twice, to the Envoy and then back to the Trailblazer but, that would only cost you time.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The 3x relearn is only for when you replace the PCM. Trying to bypass the Passlock system with a resistor doesn't work like it used to on much older trucks. You need to replace the key cylinder because if it detects you're trying to not use a key, it will just lock up on you. You may even need to reset the VATS system.

Hobbyist4Life

Original poster
Sep 5, 2016
Qatar
Hello everyone,

Sorry for the lack of replys, I'm a little busy.

But for now... @Mooseman I think it locked up on me. How would I go by resetting the VATS system?

I will reply to the rest of the posts when I get home.

Regards,
H4L

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You would need at the very least, a Tech 2, and possibly a laptop with Tis2000, to access security functions.

Reactions: mrrsm

Hobbyist4Life

Original poster
Sep 5, 2016
Qatar
Do I really need tis2000?

I can get my hands on a Tech 2 but I've never used tis2000 nor know how/where to get it.

Is there any subscription that I need in order to fix this up?

Hobbyist4Life

Original poster
Sep 5, 2016
Qatar
@MRRSM
I got key made for the car. The locksmith was very smart, he drilled enough to destroy ONLY the lock that prevents the cylinder from turning and then removed it. All the teeth inside were still inside so he cut a key manually based on that. Now I just need to get a donor key cylinder and he'll move the teeth to that one so everything in the car works on 1 key.

@Maverick6587
I did wait 5~10 seconds between attempts. I have removed the short that was there, and turned the cylinder but the security light is still solid on, I don't think I can do the 3x relearn with the light not flashing. Also, I can't take the PCM and BCM from my trailblazer because the car I'm trying to get started is a 2006 GMC Envoy XL Denali, which the a 5.3L V8 trim.

@Mooseman
I have found a couple of posts here and there that say things like put the key in the door, disconnect and reconnect battery, unlock and lock the door with key 3 times. Is this even a thing? If so, what is it supposed to be for? I will attempt them later today.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Great News about the Locksmith playing his part...

Regarding @Mooseman 's reply about the SPS Security Update Procedures:

This Linked PDF is to the "Bosch Vetronix Tech 2 Holy Bible" of How to Use a Tech 2 AND the relevance of requiring A Legacy Laptop Computer with a 9 Pin DIN Plug (Serial Port Adapter between the RJ-45 Silver Flat Ribbon Cable that Connects the Tech 2 to the 9 Pin Plug on the Laptop).

Chapter VIIA in this PDF Covers the use of SPS for Security Updating the PCM and Other Module Replacements using the Laptop with TIS2000 Software installed as a Stand-In for the GM Dealership Tech-Line Computer. The SPS Programming requires BOTH systems be connected in order to act as a PASSTHRU Device and address the PCM BCM Security Issues in this Manner.

Please ... Download and Save this Document for future referencing:

PS... Don't forget to obtain Duplicate Keys... :>)

• Love
Reactions: Hobbyist4Life

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I have found a couple of posts here and there that say things like put the key in the door, disconnect and reconnect battery, unlock and lock the door with key 3 times. Is this even a thing? If so, what is it supposed to be for? I will attempt them later today.

Never heard of that one. Where did you see this?

If you find yourself having to reprogram the VATS system, you need the Tis2000 program with a laptop either tethered to the Tech 2 as a passthrough or using the Tech 2 as a go between. This was to prevent someone from just having a Tech 2 and using it to start a vehicle without the Tis2000 program, which was only available to dealers at the time. If you can't find one, you can get an SPS subscription at ACDelco for $40 for one VIN for 2 years but you would need a modern laptop and a USB to serial adapter. There is info in our Tech 2 section that has info on this.

Hobbyist4Life

Original poster
Sep 5, 2016
Qatar
It turns out there was a missing relay right next to the starter relay. I got one with the donor ignition cylinder and fixed both at the same time.

The car started without a problem. However, the security light is still on 😕

I believe it would've started without a key if that relay was there.

Anyways, do I still need tis2000 to turn the security light off? Or can it be done through one of those Maxisys scanners?

One last thing, how do I change the prefix to solved?? 🤔

Regards,
H4L

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Only a Tech 2 and Tis2000 or SPS subscription will be able to do this. You can try to read any codes with the Maxisys. I doubt it can reprogram the module.

The question is: how is it possible to have it start with the security light on? Unless VATS has been tuned out of the PCM, it shouldn't. My Saab has has been tuned and whenever I use the key without the chip, it starts with the security light flashing.

If it starts even with the security light on, you could rip out the light or LED for it in the instrument panel.

Hobbyist4Life

Original poster
Sep 5, 2016
Qatar
I have seen one of the videos say that this method will start without key, but will keep the security light on until programmed

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
So what's the point of having a VATS then if it can be easily bypassed like that? Ypou have a link to that video? Curious.

Hobbyist4Life

Original poster
Sep 5, 2016
Qatar
@Mooseman I'm not really sure what the purpose is. Sorry for the late reply but I got busy trying to figure out and fix the car's brakes system.

I'll see if I can find the video later tonight.

Regarding the security light, after I got the key made for it I resoldered the 2 wires that I had shorted out earlier (the cylinder resistance wires) and the light stayed solid on as if it didn't notice the change in resistance.

Now for the good news. While car was at the garage getting the brakes checked/fixed, the battery completely drained a couple of times. I think this resulted the computers to reset and the car noticed the change in resistance (finally).

After doing the relearn process one last time, the security light went off, forever.

The car is now at the stealership after replacing almost everything related to the brakes

Reactions: Mooseman

Hobbyist4Life

Original poster
Sep 5, 2016
Qatar
Ok, I know I (kinda) told I'll look for the video later THAT night, but I'll do it today! But as far as I remember, he was a simple dude showing how to start the car (without key?? can't really remember) and after he started it the security light was on and he simply said it will stay on. Nothing much of good use there.

One final update would be as follows:

A couple of days later, I found out that the key detection pin switch thingy had broke when the locksmith attempted to remove the key cylinder to get a key made for the car. I replaced it, and attempted to start the car, not noticing the cylinder resistance connector was disconnected, and the security light came back on (solid).

So I reconnected it and the car started even though the security light is solid on. I think the security light solid on just means that there was a previous attempt to stealing the car (maybe??).

To turn it off, I disconnected the battery (I left it for an hour while I was fixing some other things, I'm not sure how long is enough though) and the system (supposedly) cleared the record of theft attempt.

The security light has been (and will hopefully stay) off ever since that day.

Edit: Can we finally have a "Solved" prefix now?! :2thumbsup:

Last edited:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Reactions: mrrsm

JoeLachey

Oct 15, 2022
Naples
Hi, I live in Naples Florida if there is anybody that you guys know that’s close by the area I will pay them great amount of money to come over to fix this on my truck as soon as possible my email is Blessedfamily25@gmail.com

To come over and fix a security problem*^. I have a solid security light after replacing the battery.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Have you tried a security relearn?

JoeLachey

Oct 15, 2022
Naples
Have you tried a security relearn?
Hi, Yes I have for hours and days. and it never works. It’s a Solid security light and never flashes. I can start it once after it sits for a while but the light still stays on while driving and if I shut off the engine it won’t start again. Ill pay anyone a great amount of money if they can drive to Naples to come and do the bypass for me.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Ill pay anyone a great amount of money if they can drive to Naples to come and do the bypass for me.
bdbc5f3a29a5768df3b77dc1bd42247c.jpg

LOL!

Only possible bypass would be to have your PCM tuned. You can do that by shipping it to lime-swap.com. $99, shipping back to you included. A lot cheaper than paying for my flight and hotel :biggrin:. And you also get a few other improvements at the same time.

JoeLachey

Oct 15, 2022
Naples
bdbc5f3a29a5768df3b77dc1bd42247c.jpg

LOL!

Only possible bypass would be to have your PCM tuned. You can do that by shipping it to lime-swap.com. $99, shipping back to you included. A lot cheaper than paying for my flight and hotel :biggrin:. And you also get a few other improvements at the same time.
Exactly! Lol

I’m not mechanically inclined to remove any kind of component. Looking for somone to come over and do the by pass for me.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If you can change a light bulb, you can replace the PCM. This video shows how to remove the plugs:

Then to remove the PCM itself, you just pry a little on the three plastic tabs you see on top of it with a flat screwdriver and it pops out.

Reactions: Redbeard

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online