Security lamp on after battery disconnect

CajunWon

Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
Cary, NC
The dash security remains on all the time, 24/7 but is very very dim, difficult to notice during daytime.
The lamp otherwise operates normally, bright when it is suppose to be on.
Only been 3 days so far. Battery was disconnected for an hour.

06 GMC Envoy 5.3

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
What were you working on when you disconnected the battery? Maybe something isn't connected that should be, or is loose?

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Sounds like you have an Open Ground somewhere... This On Topic Link should prove helpful:

...and one more Important Ground (G-201 and SP-201 Ground for the Class 2 Network Splicepack) is on the inside of the cabin on the Passenger Side ...near the Transmission Hump under the Dashboard:

Last edited:
Reactions: Redbeard

CajunWon

Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
Cary, NC
I did wash the pollen out, under the hood. Though the alternator was covered, perhaps water caused this minor issue.

Checking grounds always a good idea. Tight n bright with dielectric grease.

Reactions: mrrsm and Redbeard

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
It is unlikely to be a problem at the alternator / engine area as the issue is in the instrument cluster itself... which may have gotten wet if your "wash out" was "aggressive" or there is some wind shield seal issues. Since you indicate that the light appears to function "normally" (comes on bright with "all light bulb test" with key on... and there after with key off to indicate security state, etc) then the problem is more likely associated with the cluster itself and the component used to switch the light on or off (some type of semi conductor) since the "switching" for all the indicators is "data driven" for the specific one. Of course, not much fun digging into the cluster to see what's up. Since it isn't a current operational issue, you can decide what's best.

Reactions: CajunWon

mark'stb

Dec 17, 2011
Mine does the same thing, but not always on dim. It may go weeks without it on. Even when it does come on and stay on dimly, I have not experienced any dead battery. Without diving too deeply into this, I am going to guess the instrument cluster is going.

Reactions: CajunWon

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.