Secondary Air Injection Pump - Whistle

rgoldberg

Original poster
Dec 13, 2011
This morning after a 40 mile drive to work I hopped out of the TB to drop a drill off at a site and heard, for the 1st, this god awful whistle. I thought it was coming fro the site, but no it was the TB, narrowed it down to the area under the driver's door. Figure after researching it is the SAIP. maybe
No codes at all.
TB Runs fine, or as fine as normal, and the whistles only happens when the engine is running.
Also, I know there is some discussion about what year the saip was installed, well I 100% do not have the vale that is under the air intake tube...

I guess the basic question is, Is this whistle normal or do I need to begin troubleshooting and possible replace the SAIP?

2004 EXT LT 4x4 4.2L

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You mean SAIS. It could be a leaking hose or something. It runs only when starting the engine and stays quiet afterwards. If the noise happens long after startup, then it's something else.

I have a "bird" chirping under my hood when decelerating and think it's a belt pulley bearing.

Reactions: xavierny25

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
20180302_142941.jpg
This is the complete sias from my 08 envoy. If you don't have the valve (slightly left of center in pic) under you hood.Then why would they not of pulled the relay for the pump? Or why is it malfunctioning at all. 20180302_130657.jpg
This is the block off plate in red where the valve would be if you have the sias .

rgoldberg

Original poster
Dec 13, 2011
I definitely do not have the valve and my engine is blocked off, looks to be OEM...so. Next option on what would be whistling? Only happens while the engine is running and seems to be coming from under vehicle almost directly under the driver's seat.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online

No members online now.