Secondary Air Injection Pump Relay Removal Tips

smokey262

Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
There is a lot of information on how to diagnose the components of the secondary air injection system. Here is what I learned while replacing the pump power relay on my TB this morning.

The pump and relay are located under the truck on the inside of the left frame rail, right under where your feet are when you are sitting in the driver's seat. The relay is attached to a little sheet metal bracket that is screwed onto a steel plate that the pump is mounted to. The relay simply slides onto the bracket. The bracket does not need to be removed to replace the relay.

The trick of this job is that the metal bracket has a little finger that secures the relay to it that prevents the relay from just sliding up. To release the finger you need a thin bladed regular screwdriver.

Slide the tip of the screwdriver up between the sheet metal bracket and the plastic relay housing and gently pry the bracket away from the relay. I only created a gap of about 1/32" or so and that was enough to allow the relay to slide up and off. Before I installed the new relay I used a pliers to squeeze the end of the bracket flat again so it could hold the relay in place.

If you remove the whole pump and bracket assembly there might be a simpler way to do this, but while you are laying on the ground looking up at the thing there is a fair amount a crap in the way.

Reactions: SirRobin53

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jesussaves

Members Online