Seat Swap - Connector Pinout Needed - From OS

Zapp Brannigan

Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
So I started this thread on the old site;

Bought Seats - PROBLEM - Different Connectors - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

I finally got my biggest break last night after many months of searching (on and off).

Power Seats....need wiring diagram - TBSSOWNERS.com Forums - The #1 TrailblazerSS Dedicated Owners Forum

Has some images of the connectors that are currently on the floor and cloth seats in my truck.

What I still want to find out definitively, is the pinout of the connectors on my seats out of what I believe to be an '03 TB.
I am 99% confident the 2 Orange wires are +12VDC, and the Large Black one is Ground, but wanted to be sure I know what the Br/Wh and Blk/Wh were (one has to be the Data cable for Memory/Heat). The Driver's side has 5 wires, the Passenger side ones only have 4 (2 Orng, 1 Blk, 1 Br/Wh or Gry/Wh, haven't looked too closely).

To be frank, I don't really care about the Memory Seat part, but the heated part would be nice!!

LeatherSeatHarness.jpg

IMAG0085.jpg

DJones

Jan 21, 2012
St. Petersburg, Florida
I have memory seats and mirrors. Neither work the way they should.

I'm thinking that the big yellow connector is for airbags.

Zapp Brannigan

Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
DJones said:
I have memory seats and mirrors. Neither work the way they should.

I'm thinking that the big yellow connector is for airbags.

I know the yellow one is in fact for the airbags, I needed the pinout for the larger plug. I think on the harness I currently have, the BK/WH wire is for the seat belt switch sensor, which if it corresponds with the wires/colors on the Leather Seats, would leave the BR/WH wire as the Data Cable for the Heat/Memory Seats, if logic dictates.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Could you back up a tiny bit and confirm your configuration? You have an 05 that came with cloth seats? Meaning no heater controls in the door switch module? Did it have the memory seat feature?

And you put in 03 leather seats with heaters? Did the leather seats come with a memory module underneath?

If I'm reading my 04 schematics properly, the heaters can only be controlled by a memory module unless you put in your own manual control switch. The 5-pin connector you show is on the vehicle side or the seat side?

Yellow is for airbags, yes.

Zapp Brannigan

Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
the roadie said:
Could you back up a tiny bit and confirm your configuration? You have an 05 that came with cloth seats? Meaning no heater controls in the door switch module? Did it have the memory seat feature?

And you put in 03 leather seats with heaters? Did the leather seats come with a memory module underneath?

If I'm reading my 04 schematics properly, the heaters can only be controlled by a memory module unless you put in your own manual control switch. The 5-pin connector you show is on the vehicle side or the seat side?

Yellow is for airbags, yes.

Own:
'05 LS, Cloth Seats, Driver Power and Lumbar, Passenger Manual adjust

Purchased:
What I was told Seats from an '03
Power, Memory, Heat

Driver's Leather has 5 pins, Passenger's Leather has 4 pins.

Am I correct in assuming that the below picture is the Memory Module (mounted on bottom of seats)?

2012-02-21_18-50-07_597.jpg

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Got it. And what kind of connector is on your vehicle's harness?

My 04 schematic implies that it's a 10 pin connector with two rows of five pins. About the same size as your seat connector but with two rows.

That is indeed the memory module. In a few postings on the OS, people who upgraded to memory module seats and also installed a compatible DDM with the proper controls, also had to have a friend at a dealer change the option list in the BCM to "allow" the DDM to communicate to the seat memory module. GM couldn't allow field upgrades willy, nilly, don'tcha know? :confused:

In 04, the seat belt switch on the non-memory systems is a separate 4-wire connector with ground/black on one pin and the switch contact on a black/white wire on another pin. With two not used.

The vehicle harness that connects straight to the memory module is 18-pin, two rows of nine. Your memory module has three connectors in it. Where do each of those three harnesses go? I assume one to the seat back to run the heater and lumbar motor, one to the switch assembly on the side, and the third to the seat bottom motors? I'm thinking they changed the design from 03 to 05 and it's going to be a project to wire anything to work. I assume you have no power movement functions at all now?

Zapp Brannigan

Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
the roadie said:
Got it. And what kind of connector is on your vehicle's harness?

My 04 schematic implies that it's a 10 pin connector with two rows of five pins. About the same size as your seat connector but with two rows.

That is indeed the memory module. In a few postings on the OS, people who upgraded to memory module seats and also installed a compatible DDM with the proper controls, also had to have a friend at a dealer change the option list in the BCM to "allow" the DDM to communicate to the seat memory module. GM couldn't allow field upgrades willy, nilly, don'tcha know? :confused:

In 04, the seat belt switch on the non-memory systems is a separate 4-wire connector with ground/black on one pin and the switch contact on a black/white wire on another pin. With two not used.

The vehicle harness that connects straight to the memory module is 18-pin, two rows of nine. Your memory module has three connectors in it. Where do each of those three harnesses go? I assume one to the seat back to run the heater and lumbar motor, one to the switch assembly on the side, and the third to the seat bottom motors? I'm thinking they changed the design from 03 to 05 and it's going to be a project to wire anything to work. I assume you have no power movement functions at all now?

The leather seats have not yet been installed. My original cloth seats are still installed, and have not come out. My '05 does not have the door panel control either for memory or heat.

The cloth seats have an 18-pin connector on the driver's seat. There is a different 16-pin connector on the passenger's side. Attached below is a wiring diagram for the 2 different plugs CURRENTLY hooked up. Hilighted/circled in RED are the wires currently ACTUALLY in each harness.

TOP picture is the Driver's side harness (current in '05 truck with power cloth seat, no heater or memory)
BOTTOM picture is the passenger's side (current in '05 truck with cloth seats, manual, nothing else) [**I forgot to finish hilighting this 2nd picture]

ClothSeatandFloorConnectors.gif

The Leather Seats are 10-pin connector with 2 rows of 5 pins, as your 2004 diagram shows (which is what I need to figure out);
-Driver's side has only 5 wires/pins out of 10 slots (BR/WHT..... BLK..... Big ORNG.... Small ORNG.... BLK/WHT)
-Pass. side has only 4 wires/pins out of 10 slots (BR?/WHT.... BLK.... Big ORNG.... Small ORNG)

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
I think you're right and the brown/white is data. Without BCM and DDM support for that, you won't be using the memory module. The black/white wire being the seat belt switch is trivial to check out with a meter. Since the leather seats are not installed, I'd hook up the orange and black to jumper cables fused with a 30A fuse to a battery, and just try the seat movement switch and see if the thing operates in local mode. To get the heaters to work you'll have to rig switches and bypass the memory module control. There's no easy way to simulate the data command on the data wire and turn on the heaters using the memory module.

Zapp Brannigan

Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
So the data for the memory and heater would need both a new BCM capable of, and the door control? Or is it the fact that my current harness just lacks the correct wiring TO the BCM, and the door control?

By the way, I do appreciate all the help thus far guys!!! I've learned more in 2 days than months of tyring to figure this out!!

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Zapp Brannigan said:
So the data for the memory and heater would need both a new BCM capable of, and the door control? Or is it the fact that my current harness just lacks the correct wiring TO the BCM, and the door control?
The BCM is a computer basically that just needs a few configuration settings changed. But only a dealer's Tech II programming tool can do it. Some well-equipped independent mechanics have Tech II tools, though. And you'd need a capable DDM. But the problem of the vehicle's wiring harness not fitting your seat's connectors may be a bigger problem to overcome.

Best idea I had was to power up your seat harness with 12V and ground and make sure the seat motor control switch works in local mode. I can talk you through the heater wiring later if that works.

Zapp Brannigan

Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
the roadie said:
The BCM is a computer basically that just needs a few configuration settings changed. But only a dealer's Tech II programming tool can do it. Some well-equipped independent mechanics have Tech II tools, though. And you'd need a capable DDM. But the problem of the vehicle's wiring harness not fitting your seat's connectors may be a bigger problem to overcome.

Best idea I had was to power up your seat harness with 12V and ground and make sure the seat motor control switch works in local mode. I can talk you through the heater wiring later if that works.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Sounds good, thanks!! I had even considered purchasing both sets of plugs from fleabay, and making my own adapter, or whatever I had to do, to try and avoid cutting wires. Thanks for the help, I will let you know when I get a chance to physically check out the functionality of the seats before installing.

As for the DDM, does that mean Driver's Door Module? And, if so, is that the switch in the door that has the window, heat and memory seat buttons?

:thankyou:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mar 31, 2017
PA
So where does it go from here? It's like reading a book and the last few chapters have been torn out. Why guys, why?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Wow. Talk about necroposting. Please don`t revive long dead threads, especially from inactive members.

Reactions: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online