Sea foam?

fishguy1123

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
I wanted to ask the pros about seafoaming my tb. It's an 02 tb ltz 4x4 with 145000 miles on it. I read alot of the info from the os and am concerned about the cat plugging up. Is there any solid reasons why I should or shouldn't do it? Thanks

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
fishguy1123 said:
I wanted to ask the pros about seafoaming my tb. It's an 02 tb ltz 4x4 with 145000 miles on it. I read alot of the info from the os and am concerned about the cat plugging up. Is there any solid reasons why I should or shouldn't do it? Thanks

That's the first I've heard of a potential problem. :undecided:

I'll be keeping an eye in this thread.

fishguy1123

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
IIRC, it was a concern that the cat plugged from the carbon burn off after useing the brake boost line method.

fishsticks

Nov 21, 2011
I run Seafoam every second oil change. Currently at 106K miles.

If your cat plugs up from a Seafoam treatment, chances are it was already on its way out. I would be more worried about fouling an O2 sensor on a motor that had never been cleaned and ran low quality fuel. That's where the carbon burn off can be a problem.

I would have an O2 sensor on hand for after my first treatment, just to be safe.

Black_tb

Dec 6, 2011
ive also used it on my tb almost 90,000 miles (knocks on wood) havent had a problem and did it this summer

fishguy1123

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
fishsticks said:
I run Seafoam every second oil change.

If your cat plugs up from a Seafoam treatment, chances are it was already on its way out. I would be more worried about fouling an O2 sensor on a motor that had never been cleaned and ran low quality fuel. That's where the carbon burn off can be a problem.

I would have an O2 sensor on hand for after my first treatment, just to be safe.

So would you say leave well enough alone if it seems to run good?

fishsticks

Nov 21, 2011
fishguy1123 said:
So would you say leave well enough alone if it seems to run good?

I run Seafoam in all of my vehicles as a maintenance item.

Have you ever cleaned your throttle body? I use the spray Seafoam to clean the TB (about half the can) and then use the other half per the directions. I would start with that.

Don't use the brake booster method on our trucks, you'll miss about half the cylinders. Use the spray can with the tubs the inserts into the throttle body.

I like to be proactive, as I generally keep my vehicles for many years (I hate car payments).

troy11556

Dec 7, 2011
I use sea foam on all my vehicles. I have never had a problem with it LOL heck the 1980 when i first used it smoked like it was susposed to but after that it ran better. Before seafoam it would not spin the tires and would take some coaxing to do after it i can break them lose so it improved the performance. LOL not to mention since seafoam was invented and has been used they have a 100% money back guarentee and have yet to have anyone return the product.

fishsticks

Nov 21, 2011
troy11556 said:
I use sea foam on all my vehicles. I have never had a problem with it LOL heck the 1980 when i first used it smoked like it was susposed to but after that it ran better.

One thing I've noticed is that with regular usage, the smoke show is much less than the first time I use it on a vehicle.

fishguy1123

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
fishsticks said:

Have you ever cleaned your throttle body? I use the spray Seafoam to clean the TB (about half the can) and then use the other half per the directions. I would start with that.

I like to be proactive, as I generally keep my vehicles for many years (I hate car payments).

Yep, did the tb about 2 months ago. Was reading up on the seafoam recently and am thinking bout trying it. Thanks

troy11556

Dec 7, 2011
fishguy1123 said:
Yep, did the tb about 2 months ago. Was reading up on the seafoam recently and am thinking bout trying it. Thanks

I would as the effect it has on the vehicle especially if you have a very old one will show. The 04 envoy did not show as much as my 93 or 80 when i ran it through them and i noticed more in them then i did with my envoy. I would reccommend using it for the prevention if nothing more as it will run smoother.

Hatchet

Nov 21, 2011
I run seafoam twice a year... once during fall and once during spring... (which i'm late on the fall one) and i'm over 140k on my odom. if not higher cause of the bigger tires

fishsticks said:
Don't use the brake booster method on our trucks, you'll miss about half the cylinders. Use the spray can with the tubs the inserts into the throttle body.

This is the first i have ever heard of this... not what spray can and tubs you talking about? you just spray it into the TB?

fishsticks

Nov 21, 2011
Hatchet said:
I run seafoam twice a year... once during fall and once during spring... (which i'm late on the fall one) and i'm over 140k on my odom. if not higher cause of the bigger tires

This is the first i have ever heard of this... not what spray can and tubs you talking about? you just spray it into the TB?

Sorry typo....TUBE.

View attachment 16827

Get that, then run it through by spraying it in before the TB. The tube is flexy so you can insert it between the intake line and the silencer (the big plastic thing with Vortec 4200 on it).

Make sure you put your line in after the MAF if you have one, as I don't believe Seafoam is safe for them.

Attachments

• product-seafoamspray.jpg
    product-seafoamspray.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 316

fishguy1123

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
fishsticks said:

Almost forgot bout the spray vs brake boost part... I read on the os that some said both were ok...

fishsticks

Nov 21, 2011
fishguy1123 said:
Almost forgot bout the spray vs brake boost part... I read on the os that some said both were ok...

If you look where the brake booster line connects to the intake manifold, you'll see that using the brake booster method will get the front cylinders, but most likely not the rears.

You won't hurt anything, but won't effectively clean everything either. Spraying into the throttle body ensures a much more even distribution.

fishguy1123

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
fishsticks said:
If you look where the brake booster line connects to the intake manifold, you'll see that using the brake booster method will get the front cylinders, but most likely not the rears.

You won't hurt anything, but won't effectively clean everything either. Spraying into the throttle body ensures a much more even distribution.

Ok, thanks for all your time! As far as the crank case goes, do you add it as well? Just prior to an oil change?

Hatchet

Nov 21, 2011
fishsticks said:
Sorry typo....TUBE.

View attachment 788

Get that, then run it through by spraying it in before the TB. The tube is flexy so you can insert it between the intake line and the silencer (the big plastic thing with Vortec 4200 on it).

Make sure you put your line in after the MAF if you have one, as I don't believe Seafoam is safe for them.

i have a case of cans... maybe i'll see if i can get a case of those to... i dont have a silencer i have the loudener... and thanks for the info. i have been doing them at some midwest meets through the brake booster. and man did they smoke :eek:

cjceg1985

Dec 8, 2011
hey all i have asked the seafoam rep i know who stops in time to time he states seafoam will not affect any vehicle parts if used correctly on a good running vehicle. If you do the vacuum hose trick and if you have over 100000 miles and your cat plugs after using seafoam usage on original cat it was prolly on its way out any way...:frown:
This is not my opinion but strait from rep Pete M. servicing the midwest area he knows his stuff! If anyone has any questions about any seafoam or seafoam branded product lemme know ill ask the rep he lives not to far away from my store and i'm friends with his son so yeah......:thumbsup:

Hatchet

Nov 21, 2011
cjceg1985 said:
hey all i have asked the seafoam rep i know who stops in time to time he states seafoam will not affect any vehicle parts if used correctly on a good running vehicle. If you do the vacuum hose trick and if you have over 100000 miles and your cat plugs after using seafoam usage on original cat it was prolly on its way out any way...:frown:
This is not my opinion but strait from rep Pete M. servicing the midwest area he knows his stuff! If anyone has any questions about any seafoam or seafoam branded product lemme know ill ask the rep he lives not to far away from my store and i'm friends with his son so yeah......:thumbsup:

find out how much for a case of it. i'm almost out on my case and need to order a new one...

dp28688

Dec 12, 2011
seafoaming would be good to do article write up for site with pics of where you spraying and pouring. or in faq also. ive never done it yet been thinking about it though.

NeWtIcUs

Dec 6, 2011
fishguy1123 said:
Ok, thanks for all your time! As far as the crank case goes, do you add it as well? Just prior to an oil change?

I have always, about 100-300 miles before an oil change, poured half a can into the crank case and the other half into the tank. I'm on my second TB will swear that that's what keeps the oil cleaner longer. Getting any sludge out near the end of the oil life is, in my opinion, what keeps it running more smoothly and allowing for the oil to last longer.

Me007gold

Nov 20, 2011
dp28688 said:
seafoaming would be good to do article write up for site with pics of where you spraying and pouring. or in faq also. ive never done it yet been thinking about it though.

An article for both ways, one with the booster, then one with the spray can. Back in the day, when i was working at jiffylube(yes I know) they had small tool, it was basicly a bottle that hooked directly the the booster line, that used the vacuume pressure/seafoam to clean the fuel system. Seemed like a good way to make sure you didnt put too much liquid down the line. For the life of me I can not figure out what that tool was called.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I should probably try some seafoam on mine sometime. Will look for the spray version, I had not seen it before.

cjceg1985

Dec 8, 2011
i saw the rep today he has a new injection cleaning system he was telling me about it cleans the upper intake and all cylinders, valves, exhaust port he says it works better than the vacuum line trick. For those of you who use seafoam alot they do sell by the gallon part#SF128. Way cheaper to buy by the gallon!
SF16 16oz.can for pour ins
SS14 new Spray can FYI alot of retailers don't stock this yet

Sea Foam Sales Company
This is the spot to get all info on seafoam products.

I've asked him about maybe a group buy and he said he'll let me know on pricing per case on lot orders maybe we could get a deal...maybe....

cjceg1985

Dec 8, 2011
[video=youtube;Vqs8QWvssmg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Vqs8QWvssmg[/video]

plaen

Dec 4, 2011
fishguy1123 said:

Just wanted to toss my thoughts in. I have an 02 tb ltz with 168k on it now, and I seafoamed it right after I bought it at 167k, it did smoke quite a bit, but cleared up in a few minutes, I did get a cel from the o2 sensor. But cleared that using my bluetooth adapter and torque, it hasn't returned and has passed emissions twice, with lower readings after it. I haven't had any problems with the cat, and I believe it is still the oem one.

My 07 was also seafoamed at 66k, didn't smoke at all, and no cel. It's at almost 79k with no problems.

As for the vacuum line, I used that method on both, I did quite a bit of reading on it, and I remember that on some cars the brake vacuum line didn't reach all cylinders, but on the I6, it would. If you did use the spray, it wouldn't be the same as the brake line, since that is putting it in the crankcase, instead of going past the intake and burning in the combustion chambers, then out the tail. With the brake line, it would go throughout the crankcase, then with the lack of a pcv, back into the intake, and then burned, doing a better job of cleaning. Could do both if you really wanted everything clean.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
plaen said:
Just wanted to toss my thoughts in. I have an 02 tb ltz with 168k on it now, and I seafoamed it right after I bought it at 167k, it did smoke quite a bit, but cleared up in a few minutes, I did get a cel from the o2 sensor. But cleared that using my bluetooth adapter and torque, it hasn't returned and has passed emissions twice, with lower readings after it. I haven't had any problems with the cat, and I believe it is still the oem one.

My 07 was also seafoamed at 66k, didn't smoke at all, and no cel. It's at almost 79k with no problems.

As for the vacuum line, I used that method on both, I did quite a bit of reading on it, and I remember that on some cars the brake vacuum line didn't reach all cylinders, but on the I6, it would. If you did use the spray, it wouldn't be the same as the brake line, since that is putting it in the crankcase, instead of going past the intake and burning in the combustion chambers, then out the tail. With the brake line, it would go throughout the crankcase, then with the lack of a pcv, back into the intake, and then burned, doing a better job of cleaning. Could do both if you really wanted everything clean.

Um, no.

First of all, the I6 does have PCV. It does not have a PCV valve.

Second, the vacuum line goes from the PB booster to the intake manifold. Not the crank case.

Hatchet

Nov 21, 2011
cjceg1985 said:
i saw the rep today he has a new injection cleaning system he was telling me about it cleans the upper intake and all cylinders, valves, exhaust port he says it works better than the vacuum line trick. For those of you who use seafoam alot they do sell by the gallon part#SF128. Way cheaper to buy by the gallon!
SF16 16oz.can for pour ins
SS14 new Spray can FYI alot of retailers don't stock this yet

Sea Foam Sales Company
This is the spot to get all info on seafoam products.

I've asked him about maybe a group buy and he said he'll let me know on pricing per case on lot orders maybe we could get a deal...maybe....

i know i can get a case of 24 cans for $140 but if you can get cheaper, your a short drive from me :smile:

plaen

Dec 4, 2011
Wooluf1952 said:
Um, no.

First of all, the I6 does have PCV. It does not have a PCV valve.

Second, the vacuum line goes from the PB booster to the intake manifold. Not the crank case.

Thanks for the correction on the pb line. I was implying the valve not just pcv. Beside the point, as I was adding how I did it to help the op.

fishguy1123

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Sounds like it's a thumbs up on doing it then. I'll look for the spray type for the intake side and a can for the crank case before the oil change. Probly use techron in the gas tank. Maybe say a lil prayer for my cat.... :rotfl:

Vonhendon

Dec 7, 2011
cjceg1985 said:
[video=youtube;Vqs8QWvssmg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Vqs8QWvssmg[/video]
So this is a two person job,one to spray and one to keep the idle steady.

woody79

Dec 3, 2011
Vonhendon said:
So this is a two person job,one to spray and one to keep the idle steady.

It seems that way. I went and bought a can of this. Just need to get some help keeping the idle steady when spraying. :confused:

fishguy1123

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
The temps are up to 50 today here so I finally decided to pull the trigger on seafoaming the intake. Used the spray version, about 2/3 of a can. She smoked a bit but not as much as I was expecting! Hopefully thats a good thing. Took it out for a short test drive after and ran it to the revlimiter. She ran good! :yes:

davenay67

Jan 16, 2012
If you don't have some kind of small fueling issue to start with, then the Seafoam is probably not going to be much of a noticable tretment. I did all 3 of our vehicles over the weekend; all of them were running decently before the treatment and all of them seem to be running about the same after the treatment.

I will say that the '97 Jeep TJ with nearly 200K on the odo smoked the most...it blanketed the entire street in fog..!!. My '04 VW Passat with 111K and the Wife's '02 TB with 127K smoked about the same as each other; not much really, much less than expected.

FWIW....used the spray can on the VW and TB....used the booster hose method on the TJ.

For the $20 that it cost it was probably a decent preventative maintenance, especially as all of these vehicles have to run for a good few more years yet....

Dave. :smile:

fishguy1123

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Yeah, was just a lil nervous about doing it since I've heard it could cause the cat to plug from all the extra carbon burning off. Ran good before the treatment too. Just a pm thing I wanted to try/do.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.