screw in tire tread

sunliner

Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
my run of good luck continues. found a screw in the tread of my pass/front tire this evening. will try to get a photo to post but it was in the thick tread part. I unscrewed it out of the tire and the screw is about 3/4" long. Looks like about half of that was in the tread before going into the tire structure itself. I don't know how thick the wall and/or belts on the tire are (Goodyear Wrangler SR-A.) Been a few hours now and it hasn't lost any air Guess the safe answer is to get it looked at, but just wondering what the board thinks my odds of having to get a new tire are. Did I mention that I just bought the front two tires earlier this month?...ugh...29594582_10157444034528782_8589342855253844590_n.jpg

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I've plugged tires in that same spot, no issues. A patch may not be possible because it's right on the edge of the "flat" part.

sunliner

Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
Makes sense. I'm generally not a fan of plugs,but you're right. Thanks

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Keep an eye on the pressure in relation to the other tires. If it doesn't lose pressure in approx a week the screw most likely didn't go all the way through. If it leaks I would have a tire shop properly plug it.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
+1 on having to plug a tire in that spot. Has held up fine for years.

Reactions: Redbeard

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Speaking from working at a shop like, around here anything passed the last row of tread (inner or outer) is non repairable. But that's just our policy and due to our style of patch-plugs. May vary shop to shop.

Reactions: CaptainKD

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Speaking from working at a shop like, around here anything passed the last row of tread (inner or outer) is non repairable. But that's just our policy and due to our style of patch-plugs. May vary shop to shop.
That is pretty much the norm for safety and liability reasons.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I would plug it in a heartbeat. I know a shop would not, but most shops would not touch half what is done to my truck.

Reactions: northcreek

sunliner

Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
Appears that it did not go all the way through. Been holding air. I had my shop look at it and they thought it was fine. Also decided that I needed new lower ball joints. Yay! But at 144k miles probably about time.

Reactions: northcreek

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86